1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Joe T, Dec 29, 2011.

Discuss The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celts67

Metabolism slowed down late 20s so struggled to cut weight in 30s used to just eat 1 meal a day and run prefer that cause you can get away with good grub and still stay in a calorie defecit .Started doing intermittent fasting now man had 13 24 hr fasts all in just going to work on empty calories and eating after work 1am .Finally starting to lose bodyfat again thank f--k .

2. celts67

3. annieroos83

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Got down to a healthy BMI, but according to several people, I looked ill; went back up to 86kg after a couple of bad months, and now I'm hovering around 83-ish now that I'm watching what I eat (and having started a more active job). Working some weight training in now to try and build lean muscle mass.

4. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Bit of advice lads.....

Decided about 3 weeks ago that I was fed to * up with my anxiety and that I was going to exercise regularly to combat it. It's working well this far (touch wood).

But my issue is my resting heart rate......before I started it was at about 62bpm but when i turned last night and accidentally hit my fit bit it was showing 40bpm! I checked back on the app and it's been like this for about a fortnight when resting during the night?

Anyone else experience this? Just wondering if it's normal or a cause for concern? Seems to be a sudden enough drop for three weeks exercise granted I've been flat out doing 30 mins on treadmill, 30 mins on cross trainer and 30 mins on the bike. Maybe I'm doing too much? I'm not sure I'm in no way a fitness expert tbh.

Edit: forgot to mention I'm on Beta blockers.....maybe that's contributing?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The fitter you are, the lower your resting heart rate tends to be. As you’ve been exercising, your heart (essentially a muscle) is becoming stronger and becoming able to pump more blood per pump. It’s nothing to worry about but if you are ever more concerned, you can always see a doctor.

bhoy_wonder likes this.
  6. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Just my opinion. Really fit people have a low resting heart rate. The fact that you're on beta blockers try reading this
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...ure/expert-answers/beta-blockers/faq-20058369
    If in doubt though ask your GP. You sound like you're doing an awful lot but not being a bloke I'm not sure how hard you should push yourself. Well done though in finding a way to channel some positivity.

bhoy_wonder likes this.
  7. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Thanks very much this was essentially my thinking just freaked me out when I saw 40bpm! Suppose my body is getting ready for sleep mode on top of everything else.

8. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Thank you that was an interesting read right enough! Going to try and see about coming off the blockers, I would rather control it myself through exercise etc a few people have told me that I've been doing an awful lot but others are saying as long as I am coping with it then I'm grand to continue. Was reading in that link that if you cant talk then maybe you're overdoing it. I'll look out for that tonight when in the gym but then again I'll probably look like a weirdo talking to myself :56:

9. TimFloyd Gold Member

I was on beta blockers recently and yes that is what's causing the lower heart rate as that's directly what they are meant to do, the off the label prescription for anxiety is it removes the psychical aspects of anxiety.

When I was on them I would get freaked out at night because I would be laying in bed and I couldn't even feel my heart beat lol

neilly1987 and bhoy_wonder like this.
  10. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Thanks mate thank * it's not just me lol

11. TimFloyd Gold Member

On a side note, I don't know if it was the beta blockers or the antidepressants but I'm thinking it was the beta blockers.. Be wary of how you eat because I gained a stupid amount of weight in a very short period of time, some studies say they do affect the bodies metabolism.

Just something to. Keep an eye on

neilly1987 likes this.
  12. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Yes well whatever you do don't just stop taking them. You need to consult your GP and he will most likely wean you off them.

bhoy_wonder likes this.
  13. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Aye I was reading up on the weight gain side of things will definitely have to keep track of the grub!

14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    My body is a temple.

A big massive one.

Seán Mac D and Jeannie960 like this.
  15. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Did a 3k run tonight in 11.48, so at a pace of 3.56 per km.

I started at as fast a pace as I could and just tried to maintain whatever pace I could for the rest.

1 - 3.39
    2- 4.01
    3- 4.08

I was pretty shagged about halfway through but hoping it’ll benefit me next time I try do a 5k under 20 mins.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  16. TimFloyd Gold Member

Got these scales delivered today after a couple of mates recommended them.

Screenshot_20190825-140731_Amazon Shopping.jpg

They automatically connects to. The app on your phone as you weigh yourself and logs everything.

20190825_140928.jpg

Not sure how accurate they are with other things but it keeps a track of trends and graphs it all so pretty easy to keep track of it all.

neilly1987 likes this.
  17. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    48C5DB29-1DCE-43AB-B663-E533D0BAF8BC.png

20.01. Just * * off :56:

neilly1987 and Slaw like this.
  18. Moros

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mohamed Bangura.
    Got those type of scales a while back. Like yourself, not sure how accurate they are but they’ll at the very least give you a rough estimation of all those stats.

My most recent one:

4D4A0F2A-F5EB-429C-AD90-73FE9700747C.jpeg

TimFloyd likes this.
  19. Smithy

Dropped from 3000cals to 1800 for the next week or two, bulk has taken its affect on my waistline

20. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    noticed massive changes by cutting out brown rice n pasta for veg.etc,tuna n veg or chicken n veg.eating at chicken n rice palaver or fish n rice 4-5 times a day was making me sluggish and sick,grumpy,but tht was just me were all different.but im building muscle and burning fat doing this.and mentally i can feel the difference.

im eating a lot of yougurt,nuts,peanut butter,weetabix,porridge,cornflakes,fruits,milk,seeds,oils,eggs also.pepper sauces are also good for wee bit flavour n low calories.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019