1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Since Larsson

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ArturBorucCSC, Dec 5, 2019.

Discuss Since Larsson in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Cringer67

Forrest already there imo. Surprised this is even argued. McGregor will be next. Christie if he stays.

2. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    If I use Lustig as a marker as a great but not a legend.

Only Brown and Lennon has a legend celtic career after Larsson. And that's excluding Lennons during his Larsson days.

I personally believe Forrest falls into that category now. And with couple more seasons in him, he will cement that place.

McGregor now has jumped ahead of KT as in that player most likely to join the above.

KT will be viewed in the same light in my eyes as a Wanyama and a Boruc and Naka.

But I know others will see him in the BR mould. Well on the way to legend status and then jumped ship.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. Cringer67

Putting KT on too much of a pedestal if you ask me. He could have been a legend for sure, no question, but chose the money instead. I hold him in the same level as someone like Sinclair now. A good player for a couple of seasons. Nothing more.

5. Jeremie Frimpong

I would put Tierney in the same bracket as van Dijk: a great player who played for Celtic.

Tierney was a cult hero, but that status was, by and large, down to the fact that he had cultivated an image of himself as a supporter who got lucky. In the end, he showed no more loyalty to Celtic than van Dijk did.

6. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Artur Boruc is undoubtedly a Celtic legend. Arguably the best keeper in our history. Definitely the best I’ve seen in 25 year and it’s not even a contest.

The guy was invincible for two years and it’s no exaggeration to say only Buffon and Casillas were ahead of him from 2006-2008.

Added to that his extraordinary character and personality, and the confidence he instilled in the fans and his back four, he was absolutely phenomenal. Some of the saves he was pulling off in our CL campaigns simply beggars belief.

Other than that, definitely McNamara, definitely Lennon, and potentially big John Hartson.

If we’re talking guys who started after The King chucked it, then only Nakamura and Boruc.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  7. BrisbaneBhoy

Off the top of my mind, I can only think of three - Lennon, Brown and Lustig.

There are a few who could potentially fall into that category if they stay for a few more seasons and continue to develop... The likes of Ajer, Christie, Forrest, Rogic (maybe), and McGregor.

I currently see McGregor similar to that of how I saw McNamara. A great club servant. Always reliable. Nothing too flashy. A great worker. A "Club Legend" in the making.

EDIT: I had forgot to add Forrest to my list. My bad :(

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  8. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Not even a mention of Forrest?

BrisbaneBhoy and Cringer67 like this.
  9. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Sorry, but you clearly didn’t watch Jackie McNamara play for Celtic if you don’t consider him a better candidate for legend status than Mikael Lustig.

Lustig was dugshite for his last 3 year at Celtic and played like he was 37. The guy literally couldn’t turn at one point and was at fault for many of the goals in our most crucial defeats in recent memory.

Part of the reason we’re doing so well right now is that he’s no longer our right back. The guy made Ryan Kent look like Luis Figo and had the cheek to slate the club when he didn’t get a new contract. Had a terrible habit of coming off injured in big games and be fighting fit 3 days later. Great guy and decent character but never a Celtic legend in a million years.

Jackie on the other hand had everything. Longevity, composure, heart, ability, versatility. Played a key role in stopping the 10, the Seville campaign and the record breaking 2003-04 league season. He could play right back, left back, right mid or centre mid and look like a natural in very position. The guy got truly * over by the club and you never hear a word about it. A true leader who had a heart of a lion on the field and is one of the most underrated players in my lifetime.

10. Seosamh Máirtín

HH, well said mate. McNamara was fantastic for us, a leader as well.

Less said about Lustig, the better. Not sure how he's viewed as a legend by some. He was barely good enough to even be a starter for us for most of his time at the club. Wouldn't even have him in top 3 RB's in my lifetime...Hinkel and Wilson were both better options there, in my opinion. I was disappointed Matthews had such injury problems as I thought he could've been a better option for us during Lustig's time at the club.

FrankMcCallum likes this.
  11. Cringer67

This happens all too much with a lot of our fan base regarding wee Jamesy. It’s only when he’s gone will a lot realise what he was.

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Forrest, Brown.

Special mention to McManus and Mulgrew. Not legends but fans who gave their all.

13. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Legends Lennon(feel hes from the Larsson era though stops me adding Jackie mac, Hartson etc further down the list) , Brown

Then cult heros like di Cano etc... in the 90's

Forrest , Boruc

Then

Nakamura , Sammy (just cause) , Lustig

Then

McGregor , McManus

14. BrisbaneBhoy

I do class McNamara as a club legend, hence I called McGregor a "club legend in the making". The reason I didn't add Jackie to my list is because the OP asked "since Larsson", and if my memory serves me correct, both Larsson and McNamara left around the same time (both 2004-ish).

I hope that clears things up a wee bit :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  15. BrisbaneBhoy

Yes, Forrest should have been mentioned with the others. My bad :(

16. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    A lot of names mentioned are cult heroes moreso than legends, in my opinion.

I think Forrest might be somewhat overlooked by a few because he's not particularly vocal, not in the way the Broony or Lenny are at least.

As for KT, I think his status will largely depend on how he is towards Celtic in years to come. If he plays his cards wrong, he may end up in Charlie Nicholas territory! But will never, ever end up in BR territory.

17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

The only true legend created somewhat recently has been Larsson. The king. The one player everyone still worships all these years later.

Will broony become a legend? Only more time will tell but he is the closest.

A legend is someone you'll be telling your grandkids about when they have kids. Will you be telling your kids about lustig? Naw. You probably wont even remember him in 20 years time with all the other new players who come through. Forrest? Again probably not, hes no even got a song ffs.

Sparda likes this.
  18. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    To true... and look where he ended up toxic Arsenal...it will take mega £, a really big proven manager, and a couple of years time for Arsenal to get back to being a top 4 side...so yep KT's got the dosh but not the football nor anywhere near silverware....he should never have went near the place ( in hindsight )

19. celtic warrior

Awful, totally * forgot about Petrov.

20. Born green

Being loyal does not make you a legend. Of course, a certain amount of longevity is necessary. But playing 250+ games shouldn't mean you are rubbing shoulders with Larsson. However, I'd also say Larsson is too high a benchmark to use when judging legends. He is the pinnacle.

Big game performances is what is needed, in my opinion. As good as McGregor is, he is miles away from being considered a legend. Where as Brown has put in game changing performances in many Old Firms and European games. We notice when he is missing and are clearly much better when he is present.

Brown is a legend. But so is Samaras. Some of my favourite memories of Celtic in the post-Larsson era are from him. He always performed in the big games and you just felt like anything could happen with him on the pitch.

Samaras and Brown are the only 2 currently that deserve that accolade. (I'm not including players like McNamara, Petrov etc who played with Larsson)

Jo-Jo-Buffon and Whoflungdung like this.