1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James McCarthy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Gioventu, Aug 3, 2021.

Discuss James McCarthy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. john2061

They money we have used to have him on a four year deal could be better spent on a quality midfielder and he's not cutting it for me and if Ang is truly boss get him on loan to some club that will take him on January .

Wee Baldy likes this.
  2. Lewis Kerr

I'd rip up his contract in the summer if he doesn't majorly improve.

Probably thought coming up here would be a doddle and a nice retirement option. He's been such a waste of money.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Folk suggesting he was over hyped are forgetting at Everton there was a period United wanted him because he was absolutely flying week in and week out against world class midfields and the rumour was huge sums of money.

Very, very, easy to forget and/or try and slate the guy based on what we’ve seen so far. The truth is if he’s capable of getting back to those sorts of levels he’d be a massive asset to Celtic without a shadow of a doubt. The problem is the ‘if’ part.

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    100%..

I've always thought he was a player and was gutted we missed out on him in his Accies day's..

He was class for Wigan before Everton as well where he was more of an all round 8 than a sitting one at Everton and Palace..

I've been hopeful that he'd come good but it's looking increasingly unlikely for me now. He was nowhere yet again tonight. Don't even know if he touched the ball. Wasn't involved in anything. Didn't cover. Make a tackle. Shut the space. Anything and we're almost halfway through the season and he can barely get any minute's..

His body must be utterly *. Shame as a fit James McCarthy could've offered us something..

5. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Hart, Scales and McCarthy were all Desmond signings, and this Mandriou, if he signs, will be another in January.

Obviously Hart has been excellent, but there's a scary trend with the other 3.

6. Lecs

For a board that are so tight and haggle like * so often over players we should have signed, why do we keep spunking so much money on guys like Mccarthy.

I know he was a free transfer but still probably 2-4 million pounds in wages. Just doesn't make sense.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  7. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Basically we will never see a DoF.

As the moustachioed * DD has assumed the role for himself.

Spunking wages and resources on anything with an Irish passport.

McCarthy is so far from what we need it's frightening.
    Giving him a four year contract was equally terrifying.

I've no doubt in my mind that Roy Keane decided he wanted to pull a Rocky and start playing again, DD would be on the phone offering him a 5 year deal.

Lecs, Rydo1888*, Wee Baldy and 2 others like this.
  8. Foley1888

This is one of our worst signings of recent times and there’s been plenty to choose from. However, given the length of contract he has been given and how absolutely spent as a player he looks it’s a shambles.

We lost Brown, Ntcham and Christie in the summer and only brought in McCarthy for midfield, who is just another piece of deadwood already that needs moved on. Add the fact Soro’s had a shocker of a season so far this may cost us badly if we can’t get to January without falling further behind.

It is so telling in the recent Ange interviews where he name checks Hart, and other senior players and there’s absolutely no mention of McCarthy.

martin_d and Peej like this.
  9. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    he's been poor. and clearly finished. needs move on, as NOT up to playing this high tempo pressing system.

Dan Breen likes this.
  10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    100% not an Ange signing.

No chance Ange ran the rule over him as we have been informed he would do over most signings.

He doesn't fit the style mould or anything that Ange wants in a midfielder.
    The contract length is also absolutely baffling. It was questioned at the time, but think most of us assumed we would see him rejuvenate here. Seems he's really past it now.

Honestly rather not see him get on the pitch at this time. To the stage, give the position to a young talent who may make mistakes, but you expect to learn from.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Wee Baldy likes this.
  11. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I wasn't exactly excited by his signing as I didn't think his body, with all the injuries he's had, is physically capable of playing this style of football. Almost four months down the line and I've seen nothing so far to make me question my original assumption, or give any indication of hope for the future with him.

On the plus side he still has the best part of 4 years left to prove me wrong... Oh joy.

Peej and King of Kings like this.
  12. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    He's obviously a Desmond signing and I'm assuming Desmond is the one encouraging Ange to keep playing him as well.

The guys legs are gone, he can barely move. We'll be lucky if we get 10 mins out the guy never mind 4 years.

13. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    That's the thing that worries me re some of our signings. Ange obviously has his own playing style and McCarthy (and Ajeti) don't look as if they are suited to it at all so, 100% not Ange signings

Peej likes this.
  14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Surely time to offer him new improved contract.

15. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Ajeti was here before Ange, so he definitely wasn't an Ange signing.

16. john2061

If Ang is backed by the board I can see a few midfielders coming in on January and McCarthy will never see the first team again .

17. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Whoever it was deserves a boot in the cheenies Lupis as he sadly doesn't fit into anyone's plans!

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I had serious hopes for him but I think his legs are clearly gone.

And I worry that due to his style that is him also gone. It's like he's been taken over by one of those aliens out of space jam at times, like he has no control over his body.

It's a shame as a midfield pairing of him and McGregor had me excited.

Jo-Jo-Buffon likes this.
  19. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I don't know, I suspect he'd work well in a system with a big target man to play off of and he just plays in the opposition 6 yard box where his sole job is to get on the end of knockdowns and rebounds. Linking, pressing and hold up play, as we have clearly seen, are just not his game. Not that any of that helps us at all as we are never going to be playing that way, so he is completely useless here. Best for both partie if he were to get a move.

20. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    James has a four year contract worth 15 grand a week

No one is taking him on and over the course of his contract we will be lucky to get 80 to a 100 games out of him