1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James McCarthy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Gioventu, Aug 3, 2021.

Discuss James McCarthy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Because he looks nowhere near match fit..

I don't see how anyone can watch him and think he looks match fit whatsoever. It looks clear as day to me that he isn't..

martin_d, packybhoy and Belgian_lad like this.
  2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    There’s not being match fit and being truly awful though.

I genuinely don’t get why some people seem to think it’s some sort of guarantee if he stays fit he’s a starter here.

neilly1987 likes this.
  3. Lewis Kerr

Tbh I've never really rated him that much. I watched him a lot when he first joined Everton (his best years) and he was only ever a workhouse type with bundles of energy, which made him useful to be fair. But in terms of his quality on the ball he's a proper sideways and backwards merchant and that's it.

Also the mobility and energy he had previously looks gone to me. An ageing Scott Brown under Rodgers was like a much better version of McCarthy in his prime. Now we've got a past his prime player who has been riddled by injuries and lost that edge to his game imo.

I'll be delighted if I'm wrong though, guess we'll wait and see.

Dan Breen likes this.
  4. JamesM09

This is how I feel. I hope I'm wrong but this signing felt like we were getting someone who was pretty much done with football but wanted to come back home.

Dan Breen likes this.
  5. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    He may not be match fit, but more concerning is that there have been matches where he has hidden from the ball. I'm sure I've not imagined it that he's literally stationed himself behind an opponent at times so as not to have to have to receive the pass.

6. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

The comment wasn’t made with you in mind but there is plenty of comments made in this thread that are unfounded, hasty or disrespectful to the player. Especially when there has been no reports or updates from the club regarding the player. So speculation all round and definitely a fair amount of stick. Has he been top notch since he arrived? No. Far from it but he will be working on getting that right and deserves some backing until he proves otherwise.

7. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Juranovic as well mate. We also have Forrest and Jullien slowly getting back. The injuries this season have been brutal on us.

8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye. Complete madness.

Should have been 2 with an option for a third.

9. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Exactly what I think of the guy, having suffered him many times watching ROI.

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

James McCarthy's Celtic absence against Motherwell has been explained by Ange Postecoglou.

The Republic of Ireland international was completely left out of the matchday squad for the win over the Steelmen, raising a few eyebrows.

The Hoops manager has now played down the significance of the midfielder missing out, explaining that they're taking things easy with him after missing pre-season.

He suffered a "small muscular problem" but it shouldn't keep him out of this weekend's visit of St Johnstone.

McCarthy wont come into consideration for tonight's Europa League clash with Ferencvaros, but Adam Montgomery will be welcomed back into the fold.

Postecoglou said: "It is difficult for him because he didn’t have a proper pre-season

The ones who came in late have found it hard because everyone else had already started and they didn’t have that fitness base. That means they have to catch up and push themselves at training and we train pretty hard here anyway: plus the games are intense.

So it’s only reasonable, and he’s not the only one – a couple of others have struggled while trying to get up to speed. James had a good ten-day block during the international break so this is just a minor setback for him, nothing significant.

"We’re just erring on the side of caution. He trained [on Monday], but on his own. We didn’t want to rush him back so we’ll see how it goes by the end of the week. It’s just a small muscular problem, so we’re hoping he’ll be available.

packybhoy likes this.
  11. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Not his fault, but the fact he was our only midfield reinforcement is absolutely mind blowing.

12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Fair enough if he hasn't been up to speed and we know he is on the back of a long term injury previously.

But did he not do pre-season down south during the summer? Same for Giakoumakis (who I pressume is one of the others he is talking about), where he seemed not to have done anything for months.
    I get it wasn't with this club, but they have both been here 7 weeks now and are still way off the pace. Why does every signing we make (almost) seem to always need months of time before they are up to speed?

I ask that knowing fine well what the answer is.

Someone remind me though, when did McCarthy come back from his last injury down south?

13. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Most likely picked up on Livi’s plastic pish.

Blochairnbhoy and Dan Breen like this.
  14. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    The first player I've ever said this about but I hope he's sold in Jan, complete waste of a signing, doesn't fit any of the criteria for Anges system apart from one thing he's a midfielder. Desmond wondersigning to appease the fans. Its no worked, he's anything but Holywood, if he was bought to offer quality that failed, I'd he was bought to sell shirts, guessing that's failed too, slow, poor passing, injury prone af complete and utter dud.

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

What's Nicola Sturgeon got to do with this? :Kyogo:

Noskeil and bagforlife like this.
  16. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Won’t right the guy off give him time that’s for sure Ange said same about GG no pre season, came in late niggly muscle injuries

Rydo1888* likes this.
  17. celtic warrior

Offers nothing to Ange’s style, honestly we'd have been better keeping Brown at all costs then signing McCarthy.

Between McCarthy, Turnbull and Rogic, there is no urgency or mobility available there. Rogic is wonderful with his quick feet in tight spaces to snap off a shot or pick a pass but none of those three are ones that will drive with a ball and try and do something.

Rogic needs to be coming off the bench to open up a tired but resolute defence as when on form and given the instruction, he's an excellent presser.

Turnbull under Ange, I just don't know what to make of him, like he's doing the job he's chipping in with a fair few goals but his overall game doesn't seem click with Ange. For all his faults you could see who the Ange system more out of Turnbull and Christie.

Which then leaves us with a rash, bambi on ice panic merchant in Soro who, when given time in possession just freezes and gets the ball stuck under his feet as he can't decide where to pass.

And McGregor who, is still returning slowly to full fitness, I know he's played a good few games on the bounce now but he still seems off it which is crazy to me as I thought je would flourish with Ange (still should as season progresses).

Our midfield options are terrible. There is talent there but mostly its talent with no running power or athletic ability to get about the pitch and open games up with their movement.

18. JamesM09

This was our marquee signing with Brown leaving.

A responsible club would've brought in a top midfielder who was on the ascendancy and in-form.

Tbh I think it shows we didn't really rate Brown over the last 2 years. We clearly didn't think we needed to replace him properly.

celtic warrior likes this.
  19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Declared available and hasn't even been named in the squad..

martin_d and The Magnificent 7 like this.
  20. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Becoming ever more obvious that he was never an Ange signing.