1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    This seems a little premature based on literally one match.

From what I can gather, most SPFL sides are going to sit deep, potentially be difficult to break down and are physical. Based on the Hearts match, they're also not bursting at the seams with quality. It remains to be seen how Ange's tactics will translate, but I think it's a stretch at this stage to state with any conviction that they simply, positively cannot work.

It's also worth noting that although the game is different in Japan, they still very much have the capacity there to play long balls over the top and hit sides at speed on the break (and with better technical ability from what I've seen). Ange managed to navigate that and be successful while playing a system similar to what he's trying to implement here.

A loss is a loss and near defeats of course count for nothing, but in evaluating the game, it's reasonable to say that we should have had a second goal that was disallowed. So that's twice their deep-sitting defence was opened up for a goal, and this isn't close to being a good example of "Angeball" yet. For all the hand-wringing about the defensive frailties of his system, balls over the top, CBs being caught 2 on 2, etc. both of their goals came from individual errors and poor marking/positioning for the set piece.

I think the main issue at the moment, more so than the defence, is that we're currently just not looking good going forward. Possession is too slow, not a lot of chances are being created, and when they are, poor decision-making and final ball are contributing to a lack of goals. That's a problem in and of itself, but more so when you have a defence basically not fit for purpose. Hopefully with a few more additions and a bit more time, the attacking play soon starts to click.

2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    He needs time, personally i'd give him another 2 games, if it's still nae wins then he's oot the door ! :giggle2:

greengrocer and honda like this.
  3. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The problem is that Japanese players are fitter, faster and more hard-working than what we have. So, the recovery ability after a long ball has been launched is better in them. In the air, they aren't good, but neither are we.

But it's the attacking elements of his tactics that just won't work in Scotland. Teams in Japan play a higher line, and matches are more fluid. There is more space to be had. We run into a wall, which ends up in fancy passing combinations that lead nowhere. Then we lose the ball, and get done on the counter.

One thing that Ange definitely must change, and shouldn't be hard is to play Stephen Welsh. Great interceptor of danger, which should put a dampener on long balls into space. In the air we're still *, but at least we get pace/anticipation.

As for the park the bus tactics of our opposition? They are a hard counter to what Ange loves. I guess ordering a bunch of long shots might work?:43:

4. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Ange doesn’t want Hart or McCarthy according to The Athletic

Welcome both :ynwacelti

joemc and Noskeil like this.
  5. Gurru 991

The board couldn't get their hands on the money fast enough. He didn't walk ! He was sold !!!

6. G40B

What does ‘backing the manager’ entail exactly?

It’s fantasy to suggest the support will clap him off the park if results continue like this, and if they did it’d be the board’s wet dream.

I don’t buy the chat that Postecoglou isn’t a yes man. Actions speak louder than words, and thus far he’s let Strachan & Kennedy be foisted upon him and the board shortchange him on transfers.

7. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Valid criticism. But he did call out the slow transfer dealings. Now, he can still get his staff in, and say that he was unable to work with the existing staff. But he must demanding everything, and be a pest about it.

8. Sgt Neppers*

We're a * mess. This is meant to be a rebuild. The start of a new generation under Dom and Ange. It's * destruction more like. The window closes in under a month. Where's the signings, the leadership and direction were going in. Noticed zero engagement now season tickets have been sold and the strips are out.

bhoy81, Hammy89 and McChiellini.. like this.
  9. Sgt Neppers*

Genuine question not aimed directly at you at all. But say come end of the month, we're knocked out of Europa by AZ, lost to the huns and put out the league Cup by another defeat by the diet huns. I'm not even factoring Europa conference league either. Where do we go??? Do we stick or twist? We've seen the boards intentions first-hand for the past year. They despise us. They're slow to react and dig their heels against the fans.

It's a massive month ahead of us. Little has changed in personal in playing and non playing staff. That was Lennons team out there essentially. They look as fit as last season also. The same rancid board are there. So so so many issues, none addressed. No end or improvement on the horizon currently.

Its a shocking state of affairs. Raging with scumbags running our club. Despise them.

Edit: not expecting miracles straight off and sweeping teams aside 5-0 every game, but it's hard to be positive when we aren't learning from past mistakes, living on yesterday's set up and governance.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  10. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

You stick. Why the * would you twist and start again?

No manager on the planet gets us out the hole the board put us in within the first month.

The67Sound likes this.
  11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Eye opening..

12. Sgt Neppers*

Yeah, I agree, playing devil's advocate to gauge response. It's a long way off and surely won't happen, but with this board anythings possible.

13. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

There’s Joseph in the door. A penny for your thoughts Ange…..

14. murphy88

If the board are going to continue the way they are, ultimately it won’t matter if we stick or twist. No manager could work under these circumstances and succeed. Not with the amount of players we need. Maybe if we only had Aberdeen to beat we would get away with it, but I wouldn’t put my mortgage on it as it stands either by the way. Unless we see a change of board or a change in their attitude, then it won’t matter if it’s Postecoglou or any other poor *.

Sgt Neppers* and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  15. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ange needs to resign if he didn't want Hart, because this is mockery.

littlekennie likes this.
  16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    100% this is not an Ange signing, as in this is not the keeper he scouted, seeked out and requested for his squad.

But I'm gonna presume he's accepted this/okayed it with some reasonable level of thought - otherwise there is massive concern.

If, however, it is a signing made completely without his approval (ala shved and Rodgers) then yeah, it's bad news. Very bad news.

But I'm inclined to think we aren't pulling that old trick with a player at this age/level. We tend to leave that for the random no mark project signings.
    Hello Scales.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

SuperZidane and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I dunno what to say anymore.

What the actual * is going on with us. We are now in a position where the Huns could field 2 different sides which would both win the league ahead of ours.

How has it been allowed to * happen. Its nightmarish.

Sgt Neppers* and murphy88 like this.
  18. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

An excellent point made on the Twenty Minute Tim’s podcast.

People shouting for him to stop playing the inverted full backs and therefore abandon his full system 3 games in.

The two full backs aren’t good enough to play the conventional full back role anyway and he would lose the entire team by being seen to be weak and by not sticking to his guns.

19. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

There's got to be a compromise though, surely. The fullbacks * up in midfield isn't giving us any attacking advantage, at all. It just weakens us for long diagonals from countering opposition.

FrankMcCallum and Peej like this.
  20. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Ange is going to kick up a fuss cause they added a young, hungry, athletic kid to his squad for 600k?

And not a washed up goalkeeper, who can’t play out from the back and who can only dive to one side, onto one of his shoulders, due to injury?