1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Wildlife Sightings!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by cidermaster, May 22, 2014.

Discuss Your Wildlife Sightings! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Fantastic stuff,just Fantastic cool Bhoy!:50:

2. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    So important if possible to have Wild Flowers in your garden,i have planted a fair more extra ones with Wild Seeds on my Verge and left the borders of my lawn for Wild Flowers.I have always had a fair number of Wild Flowers in my garden but this year i am on course to have easily the most ever,easily and i have already had record numbers of Bee Species:lol:
    Also i have added 2 more Butterfly Plants to my existing 2 and await for the full effect,i know that will delight a certain good friend on here:56:
    And also my Hedgerow is healthy with plenty on top,thus several pairs of different Bird Species have nested in there:36: again.

3. ArchiePelago

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lennox, McGrain, Larrsson, Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    That's brilliant, and I'm sure you'll have a great micro environment going on in the verge and borders! I'm leaving the bottom half of the lawn to it's own devices, with no mowing (unless I forget when I'm on autopilot - always a possibility). I don't think I'll seed it with wildflowers, just see what comes up. I did it once before a few years ago, and although the grass and flowers (clover etc) were only a couple of inches tall,it was absolutely alive with insects and particularly bees! Very impressed you have several pairs of different bird species in one hedge, great job!

cidermaster likes this.
  4. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Cheers cool Bhoy and well done to you as well. We could have a competition who gets the most species of Butterfly in our gardens this year?:50:

ArchiePelago likes this.
  5. ArchiePelago

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Yep, sounds good, I'll have to brush up significantly on my identification skills now!

cidermaster likes this.
  6. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I saw my first Fox of this year today on my local patch with my partner in Crime Ruby Roo Boxer Of course.
    Yesterday I saw my first Common Blue Butterflies Of The year.
    Oh hope you are all watching Springwatch:50:

7. ArchiePelago

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Yes indeed, watched Springwatch. It still has the usual favourites, but seems to have brought in even more of an environmental, sustainability, conservation element this year, which to me is a good thing. I think I'll have a go on that insect identification app they showed. Earlier this week had a couple of days walking in Dumfries and Galloway, and whilst in scrub and woodland walking up Merrick, saw a number of lovely little black and white birds. When I checked later, was pleased to discover were pied flycatchers. Never seen one before so that was great.

bagforlife, cidermaster and johnboy19 like this.
  8. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Brilliant stuff,yes the Pied Flycatcher is s lovely little bird indeed,glad you enjoyed them. I am lucky they are pretty common here in North Wales in the right locations. :50:

bagforlife likes this.
  9. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Yes Spring Watch is Superb this year! The Lochan where the Slavonian Grebes are I have been to,a really cool place and Hamlet.
    I cannot wait go return to this beyond magnificent area later in the year:36:

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Got all sorts of frogs and toads out my back and bizarrely the past couple weeks an infestation of ladybirds. As in literally tens of thousands of them all over the grass.

Had to Google if they were OK, I mind there was a story a few years ago about some rogue strain carrying STD’s you were to steer clear from.

Disclaimer - the above may have been a @cidermaster thread, it certainly read like one whilst I was typing it :56:

11. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Out this morning on my local patch this morning in somewhat damp conditions Ruby Boxer lifted up a female Pheasant with 2 young,the young were so small,the size of Quail,then shortly after she lifted a male Pheasant,not very exciting of course but Ruby's face seeing them and how tiny the young were.
    Also 14 Crossbill flew overhead quite low.

12. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

6F4853F5-61FE-4675-8259-D42F72D328F2.jpeg FFAB21C9-7A75-469F-A44B-6F3EB03B62A0.jpeg 36F676CB-703B-4F8F-B1C3-FFAB76BDFC7D.jpeg CBF9E66E-A7E5-428D-BAC0-0463B0AE3122.jpeg

New tank new fish

Siamese full moon fighting fish. He’s the least aggressive fish in the tank. Think he’s broken:56:

13. StevieBhoooy!

14. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Well my Semi Wild Garden is attracting brilliant numbers of Bees this year. In a few weeks my Wild Flowers will be in massive force.
    This year Blackbirds,Dunnock,Wrens,Great *,Blue *,Wood Pigeons,Goldcrests and House Sparrows have all bred in my garden with Chaffinch and Starlings nearby.
    On my local patch this morning with Ruby Roo Boxer Of course I got a lovely view of a pair of Bullfinch,the local pair of Fulmar as nosey as ever and one of the local Kestrels seen.

15. Johniebhoy.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Johnny thompson song
    what about wildlife non sightings,i've been living in a semi rural area for nearly 25 years now,and work and travel in a completely rural area,this is a list of wildlife I've yet to see naturally.

fox
    badger
    eagle
    pine martin
    hedge hog
    otter
    many species of birds of prey
    there's probably plenty more not coming to mind,i enjoy walking especially in woodland and by the sea shore but just don't seem to come across much wildlife.

16. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Where abouts do you live cool Bhoy?

17. Johniebhoy.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Johnny thompson song
    Sligo on the north west coast.

18. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    sometimes wildlife is so cruel , house over the way from me has seagulls nesting between the chimneys , crows for days have bombarded them drawing them away from the nest .. others move in for the chicks . I dont like seagulls ,nasty fekkers but this is not nice to see .

19. ArchiePelago

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    That is a very impressive list cidermaster bhoy! Especially having Goldcrests nesting in your garden. Amazingly and maybe worryingly, I haven't seen a House Sparrow in the garden for a good few years now. We've got Blue * and Great * in nest boxes, Robins in the ivy against a wall, Blackbirds in a beech hedge, and Herring Gulls between the chimney pots. Next door has Song Thrushes nesting in their hedge, Great Spotted Woodpeckers nesting in a hole in a tree at the back of their garden, and Jackdaws in their chimney. 'Our' Gulls and 'their' Jackdaws have nested in those spots for years, and I think seem to tolerate each other without eating each others kids, hence they keep coming back!

johnboy19, bagforlife and cidermaster like this.
  20. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Cheers cool Bhoy great stuff going on in your garden and nearby as well.
    I forget to mention my pair of Robins. Other birds that breed nearby are GSW Woodpeckers,a Juv came in my garden earlier today.
    Also nearby are Jackdaws, a Rookery and a pair of Pied Wags. A few years ago I had a family of Foxes in my garden and Badgers visit time to time,but not seen a Hedgehog in ages.

johnboy19 and bagforlife like this.