1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Hes always had a great left foot and the ability to finish or pull something special out the bag. That's undeniable I agree.

But I'd never describe him as a very good all rounder. Not one point in his career. His all round game has always left a lot to be desired IMO.

2. Lewis Kerr

This.

His link-up play and all-round game was dreadful for years and he stood out like a sore thumb in Europe. Even Guidetti was a better option up there. It improved under Rodgers but Dembele and Edouard kind of set the standard when they were here. Griffiths was way off that. Too slow, too weak, and an inconsistent touch.

Funnily enough, I think Griffiths' best form for us (non-goal scoring-wise) came in the last half of 2019-2020 when Lennon stuck him and Edouard up front together. 2016/17 was clearly his best season overall though and I include the 40 goal year in that.

It's a shame he never built on his 2019/20 form, we all know what happened after Griffiths came back from lockdown. Still, if he actually resembled anything like a professional footballer, he would have had (and should have had) far more success in his career.

The Phoenix and The_Bhoy like this.
  3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Glad he never but if I was a career adviser hes * it again. He should have rode out his 1 year contract and never went on loan. Sat in the B team and then got let go for free. Then he could've tried to get Dundee etc to sign him on a 3 year contract. Now everyone's seen how * he's got he won't get any contract and I would expect him to be retired after this year. Bankrupt before 40 and constantly in the papers for the next 15 years with bad stories.

Glad he went on loan to save stinking the place up. Big ange spotted that early on and got him booted.

4. Al Bootyerbaws

The thing with him messaging the wee lassie got him booted. Before that happened Ange was ready to give him a chance but he * that right up.

Hammy89 likes this.
  5. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    The funny thing is, I think Ange might have been able to get a tune out of him this season too. Not saying he would get double figures or "Griffdog is back lol hh" but I think Ange might have made him a useful player off the bench.

All he had to do was not be a creepy wee *.

6. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    As a person, I don't want want him anywhere near the club.

* him. Scumbag.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

A decision on the future of Leigh Griffiths at Dundee will be made on Friday.

The former Scotland striker’s season-long loan deal from Celtic could be brought to an early end after a disappointing return to Dens Park.

News emerged earlier this week that the Dark Blues were considering the 31-year-old’s future at the club.

And manager James McPake says the club have been in talks with the Parkhead side regarding Griffiths’ loan deal.

Dundee have a break clause in the deal that brought Griffiths back for a second spell at Dens Park.

However, there is a time limit to exercise that and the Dark Blues will have to move quickly should they wish to.

Asked about the striker’s future, McPake said today: “We are in discussions at the minute regarding that as a club internally and externally with Celtic as well.

“A decision will be made tomorrow.”

Ten years after his first spell as a dark blue, Griffiths arrived to much fanfare in August after signing on a season-long loan deal.

However, he hasn’t lived up to his lethal goalscoring reputation, struggling for form and fitness.

He has found the net twice in 13 appearances.

Both of those came against Aberdeen, the first in a victory in October and the second a spectacular free-kick on Boxing Day at Pittodrie.

8. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I get the feeling that they will get shift. Maybe we could loan him to Kilmarnock, to make sure that they don't promote.

9. leeso-ardoyne

How does this one play out now after it being made public. I think if Dundee where going to keep him, it would all be in house but for it to be made public, I think they'll get shot of him. If they do keep him, can they get rid of him after the window closes or are they stuck with him untill the end of the season.

10. leeso-ardoyne

Definitely think he would off done well for us this season but he * it msging thst young girl. Silly *! I can't see no way back for him. Especially the way we're playing. Can't see Ange touching him now Incase it upsets everything he's built. Can't blame him either

packybhoy likes this.
  11. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Don’t need him now. We nursed him through his tough times and rightfully so. Just didn’t pay us back.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  12. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    We definitely provided him with the opportunity to visit the "last chance saloon" numerous times and he continually fecked it up. So, sorry Griff, you had everything that we could only dream about and totally fecked it

buchanbhoy, stew37 and packybhoy like this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

LEIGH GRIFFITHS trained with his Dundee team-mates today - as talks over his future dragged on.

The Dens Park club are exploring how to activate a break clause in the season-long loan deal he signed last summer, allowing them to send him back to Celtic.

But the Hoops don’t want the 31-year-old back at Parkhead this month.

Griffiths is in the final six months of the new Celtic deal he signed last July but it’s clear he has no future under Ange Postecoglou so they want him staying put.

Dundee had offered Griff a route out of the Hoops, signing him on a loan deal through to May.

But a return of just two goals in fourteen appearances has left them questioning the commitment they’ve made.

Talks are ongoing with Celtic about the way forward, which will need two of the three parties to agree.

Until a decision has been made, Griffiths will continue at Dens.

The one-time Scotland international also has the prospect of a lengthy ban hanging over his head after being charged by the SFA for kicking a lit flare into St Johnstone supporters during a Premier Sports Cup tie in September.

The Hampden authorities have held off from dealing with the issue until the Procurator Fiscal has decided their course of action.

But that will come back into play once the legal authorities have finished with the case - with a spell on the sidelines inevitable.

So with a lack of goals added to a potential ban, Dundee are likely to cut their losses with Griffiths should that be possible

14. leeso-ardoyne

Yep, totally agree. At the start of the season I was all for keeping him, even after he * up. But now, he could derail any good factor around the club now and with that, just get rid of him now. Could have been one that cemented his name in our history books if he had a different mindset. Once all ties are cut from Celtic, I think his career is finally over.

packybhoy likes this.
  15. James Gold Member Gold Member

Who could have seen this coming imagine him * up his 78th last chance

16. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    He couldn't get himself fit enough to play for Scotland in the Euros. He still would have been a fat * for us regardless of him messaging that lassie or not.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  17. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Terminate his contract and remove the engine of his car ...just have it removed.

18. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

* should get the snip while he’s at it.

19. CountyDownFaithful

Surely we will terminate the rest of his contract if Dundee are able to cancel the loan.

20. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    20 goals a season if he stays fit!

Lewis Kerr likes this.