1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Which academy players are ready to break through into the first team next season?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Jun 3, 2020.

Discuss Which academy players are ready to break through into the first team next season? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    After seeing how okoflex is online I think we need to loan him out to a team where he’ll be one of the more technically gifted players (but the club is a bit *). Seems a very egotistical kid from how he acts, a loan to some team where he should be like “wow don’t wanna be back at a team like this” could do him the world of good. Second half of the season his form dropped off and from what he’s shown of himself I’d assume with him only ever being at arsenal and now us he’s only seen the great side of football and the easy life. Needs the drive to not end up * it and playing in the English league 2 all his life

Dublin Celt likes this.
  2. Foley1888

I think if Dembele doesn't get much of a look in over the next year he will look to move on as his contract is up at the end of next season. It is a shame the league had to stop when it did as when we had tied it up, I suspect Dembele and a few others might have got some game time.

Dan Breen likes this.
  3. freitassen

Those forceful puns here are like preaching to the converted.

4. joemc

I Think Kerr mcinroy has a real chance of making it , would love to see him farmed out similar to McGregor before he made the break into the 1st team, can belt them in ,goal scoring midfielder like cal .

The_Bhoy likes this.
  5. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I think dembele will be played regardless, because of the contract reason you said. We won’t want to afford losing him for free so will just play him whenever the chance arises. If we get 5 subs like is being talked about for next season then I’d imagine he’d mostly be one of them coming on regularly

6. Foley1888

I think the Dembele situation is a tough one, he has clearly got fantastic ability and talent, especially for a 17 year old but the level of hype around him from such a young age has added pressure on both Dembele to be showing he is ready and on the the club to be giving him opportunities perhaps before he maybe fully ready or risk losing him.

If we get 5 subs I hope in games where we are comfortable we use them earlier to not just play the likes of Dembele and give the likes of Forrest, CalMac, Eddy, Browny, Christie and others a rest. It will be mutually beneficial for the established players and those trying to break through. It was always annoying to watch games last year where we were cruising and then we make no subs or it was one of the older heads like Hayes coming on when there was the opportunity for one of the younger guys or new signings to get a chance to show what they can do.

It will be interesting to see if those mentioned benefit from the enforced coronavirus break, particularly the Scottish lads who have been playing 50+ games a season now for 3 or 4 years in a row, with a very short summer break.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  7. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Totally agree with all that mate. I think if you look at fati for Barca there really is no reason why dembele shouldn’t be able to come in and cope with regular games now at 17. I do agree it could be rushing him in too early, but I’d imagine he’d have that many offers that if we don’t play him much this season he’ll leave on a free which the board will see as a huge failure financially I bet.
    I don’t believe he’d work in a 3-5-2 formation as a tracking back winger as that’s just not part of his game. So not sure if he’ll have to adapt to a new role or only really play when we play a front 3.

Drove me insane seeing Hayes come on when we were 2/3 up haha, even more so now he’s left! Coulda used those minutes for developing anyone who’s still here!
    You’d hope the breaks done everyone good, maybe even players who were wanting away just want to get back to us and play too!