1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikey Johnston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Keano88, May 6, 2017.

Discuss Mikey Johnston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Guy has pace, natural ability, both attributes that cannot be coached.
    My biggest concern is about his decision making, I am sure that this can be coached.
    The clock is ticking, he is not a youngster.
    We are well stocked right now with wide men, so correct decision to loan him out.
    And correct from him to play for ROI, wont do his development/confidence any harm.
    Reckon he will get one crack-as a squad impact sub-next season and then a call will be made on his Celtic future.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Its a word used to emphasis that the question is not rhetoric or meant for humour.

Much unlike the youthful use of the word "literally" when they don't literally mean anything, the use of "genuine" here is meant to highlight it is a real, honest, question.

As for the question, it's not silly at all, not when you seem to be so disenfranchised with the playing squad and seem to have no enjoyment watching us or the development of our players, to the point you seem resigned that any youth talent is already * before they kick a ball.

So, genuine question, do you actually enjoy watching Celtic play?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

NomDePlum and Liam Scales like this.
  3. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    So you would disregard Scotland's past World record to attempt to remake history to suit your current agenda ?
    I'm sorry, it does not work that way.
    It is also a word that can be used potentially in context, that is the scoundrel's last place of refuge, the fact you seek to persist with it, raises questions about your motive in doing so.

This thread is about Mikey Johnson, not me or you. I am not seeking to derail it and take it off topic.
    You would be well advised to do so too.

4. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    He was eclectic when he came on the other night.

If anyone can unlock France tomorrow night for a moment of magic its him.

5. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Recent times being a quarter of a century :39:. That's a bit of a stretch isn't it given the time you are referring to was shorter than that!

6. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Yeah but our defence is utter pants so I reckon in that case 3-1 France!

7. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Still mind Damien Duff saying he was one of the most promising players at the club along with Frimpong a few years ago.

The ability is there but it was always the mental side he struggled with, his decision making was awful but hopefully has improved massively. Can’t see him featuring for us though, he is a massive step down from Abada.

craigtheceltic and Taylor1 like this.
  8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    What a load of drivel.

I'll take it as a no, you don't get any enjoyment out of watching Celtic play.

:56:

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

9. calmac23

I'd be happy to have him in the squad, but we're really strong on the left with Jota, Haksa, and Maeda all mainly playing on that side. I'm not sure if Johnston can play on the right, but if he can then he can definitely compete for minutes.

Thought he looked good in his Ireland cameo, will be watching tonight to see if he gets any more minutes. He has flashes of brilliance but is so frustrating, hopefully that's something he's improved on with his loan spell.

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

France national team boss Didier Deschamps has highlighted Celtic winger Mikey Johnston as one of the attacking threats for Ireland.

The 54-year-old, who has won the World Cup as a player and manager with his country, has pinpointed the forward as part of Stephen Kenny's 'new generation'.

Johnston is currently on loan at Portuguese side Vitoria de Guimaraes and recently made his international debut for Ireland after switching allegiances from Scotland earlier this month.

The two sides meet in Dublin as they begin their Euro 2024 qualifying campaigns.

And Deschamps feels that the 23-year-old, along with Brighton's Evan Ferguson, are two player his team need to watch out for.

He said: "There is a new generation with new players, Ferguson poses a threat – he is a good player, Johnston as well has joined the team, it is a mix of young and experience.

"But our team is different too. Ireland are known for being direct and vertical in how they play but of what I’ve seen in recent games they are capable of playing the ball along the ground as well."

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

MIKEY JOHNSTON will have ‘another status’ when he returns to Celtic in the summer, with his manager at loan club Vitória SC, Moreno Teixeira, believing he will have what it takes to stake a claim for a regular first-team place under Ange Postecoglou.

Tiexeira has been hugely impressed by Johnston during his time playing in the Portuguese Liga, and wasn’t at all surprised to see him performing well over the last week for the Republic of Ireland in their European Championship qualification matches against Latvia and France.

While conceding that he still has a lot of improvement left in him, Tiexiera has been pleased with the progress Johnston has made during his spell in Portugal to date, and wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him play his way back into contention at Celtic next season following the expiry of his loan deal.

Mikey Johnston is a young player who is still learning and we knew he had room to improve,” Tiexeira told Herald Sport.

“I was not mistaken: he has skill, speed and fits easily into any tactical system. He is growing in every way, becoming more and more useful for the team.

“He has three goals and three assists in 22 games played by Vitória SC, which is already a very good record for someone playing for the first time in the Portuguese Liga, one of the most competitive in Europe.

“We have excellent options for the wings and he deserved the opportunities he had, being a very competitive and professional both in training and in games.

“Naturally he should improve some aspects and he knows what they are, but I am not at all surprised by his call to the Republic of Ireland.

“He is a valuable winger, he has evolved a lot and, therefore, I believe he will have another status when he returns to Celtic at the end of the season”.

Johnston himself had addressed his own future following his impressive debut for the Irish last week, saying: “Portugal has been really good. I had quite a bad time with injuries in the last couple of years.

“For a full year, touch wood, I have been fine and managed to get back to full fitness.

“Vitoria has been a great platform for me. They are in a big league and it’s really competitive.

“I have had a lot of starts, a lot of games, a lot of consistency, which is what I needed.

“Will I be back at Celtic long-term? We will see. I don’t want to sit on the bench. I just want to feel important.”

12. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I still have hopes for him. He looks stronger physically. He's not a skinny boy any more - age and staying fit and able to train regularly will have helped this. Regular games will have helped develop his decision making. Weirdly people saying the same old Mikey, no end product from the Ireland game - he came on as a sub and made the goal - what more end product are you looking for? For me he does have the ability and potential to compete with the Jotas and Hacksas. He has to stay fit and prove it. That's the biggest question mark over him.

RabS and EddieBhoy1986 like this.
  13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    It was a great run but he created with a shot that didn't go in rather than delivering a cross or a pass. That really isn't end product. Even if you consider it so then it's 1 match, his league stats this season don't back it up.

Dan Breen likes this.
  14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I would suggest back up for either would be a more realistic expectation.

15. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I don't think it can be denied that it was his run and shot that made the goal. Are you saying the ability to produce a good run and shot aren't valuable attributes to have? This is only one game but we've seen it from him plenty of times in the past. I don't think it can be denied he has talent and if he's learning to use it more effectively he could be an asset.

16. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think he has the natural ability these guys have and the potential to compete with them. It's whether he can use that natural ability more effectively and stay fit that are the issues for me.

17. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    They are good attributes but the point was raised about end product and his end product isn't great. The past 3 years have been pretty bare from him. I think we've seen good runs from him plenty of times, but his decision making in the final third seems off. We currently have 3 guys who can play on the wing who can all make good runs but have far better end product than he does, two of whom are the same age.

Dan Breen likes this.
  18. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

3 goals and 3 assists (I know some were in the cup) in 16 games is honestly not a terrible return for a team that only average a goal a game in their league I feel. I don't think he'll ever make it at Celtic (other than maybe in a bench capacity which it sounds like he's not open to) since we have better players who are younger but I think he could carve out a decent career for himself. It'd be great if he stayed in Europe, suits players like him better than slogging it out in the English Championship or something. Delighted he's chose Ireland regardless :celt_2:

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    His ability has never been in doubt for me..

It's the injuries and decision making..

He'd be a handy player to have in a Forrest sort of role to come on and play left, right wing and as a 10 like Haksabanovic has done. Would fill that home grown quota..

He won't be a first teamer here though and has already said he wants to be playing.....so likely be sold in the summer..

20. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Time will tell. His age isn't an issue to me as players develop differently and he might be a late developer and obviously his development has been held back by the injuries. I just wouldn't be giving up on him yet.

Liam Scales likes this.