1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Kiro Kompiro

One of the points made was the chances created but not taken eg against Leipzig. This is actually something we saw when he was coaching Australia. He really should have beaten van Gaal's third-place Netherlands at the WC in 2014 and with the same player quality v Gaal had available I have no doubt he could

I think his system creates lots of chances- against *any* team in the world- but to do it justice it needs top-shelf players.

As good an example of coach making each player better through his coaching and system as you will see. Give him top shelf and my word love to see what he could do with them.

VT8, PaddyJamieson and Wllm like this.
  2. PaddyJamieson

This was brilliant. Thanks for sharing. Nice to see our European performances getting recognition outside of Scotland too, despite the results.

Wllm likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic want to tie manager Ange Postecoglou down to a new and improved long-term deal after he was shortlisted by Tottenham, sources have told Football Insider.

The 57-year-old has also been on the radar of Brighton, Leeds United, Wolves and Everton this season as they searched for a new boss.

Postecoglou now finds himself on a long list of Tottenham targets to succeed outgoing boss Antonio Conte – sparking fears of Celtic losing their immensely popular boss.

Postecgolou is still on the 12-month rolling contract he signed when he joined the club in June 2021, but sources have told Football Insider that the Parkhead hierarchy are willing to increase the Australian’s wages.

One source with knowledge of the situation has revealed that Celtic are preparing a “huge” contract offer.

The Glasgow giants are also keen to include a release clause in any new deal – meaning rivals would have to pay a fee to prise him away

Postecoglou is not believed to be towards the top of Tottenham’s list of possible Conte successors, but Spurs are just the latest Premier League club to consider appointing the Celtic boss.

Football Insider revealed on Friday (24 March) that Spurs have identified Julian Nagelsmann as their new first-choice manager target following his Bayern Munich sacking.

Postecoglou, 57, has become a firm fan favourite since arriving at Parkhead and looks set to win back-to-back Scottish Premiership titles in his first two seasons in charge.

He has also won two Scottish League Cup trophies – and his side will become favourites to seal a domestic treble this term if they overcome Rangers in the Scottish Cup semi-final on 30 April.

The one-time J-League winner has tapped into the Asian market since arriving in Scotland – bringing celebrated stars like Kyogo Furuhashi and Daizen Maeda to the club

Celtic sit nine points clear of Rangers atop the Scottish Premiership.

They return to action after the international break against Ross County on 2 April.

4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Tis what it tis.

As with all football opinions in regards to Celtic, anything negative I have, I hope to * I am wrong.

Turns out this time, massively wrong.

Still believe the doubts were legitimate and doesn't mean that come another appointment so left field we should then use Ange as a reason to blindly trust the board (I still have massive trust issues with them).
    However, this time, we was all so so wrong and got a welcome slap to the face about being too fickle and naive for our own good.

Lesson learned.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

OziBeerMan and craigtheceltic like this.
  5. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    Are we not favourites just now

6. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

He deserves a hefty raise and I’m all for it if it helps keep him around for a couple more years

Noskeil likes this.
  7. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

He should be the best paid guy at the club tbh

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  9. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    That’s the thing, nobody is ever going to get every opinion they have about football right so why not just laugh and learn like you have. Also like you have now acknowledged, it doesn’t mean your opinion isn’t going to be right next time in a similar situation, not every situation is the same.

Respect to you and those that acknowledge they were wrong in this instance :50: At the end of the day, almost all of us on here are fans and we fans want what’s best for the team/club.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    Rogicisgod likes this.
  10. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good

Oz should not have had that third goal scored against them by the Dutch and did not deserve to lose. I hold Mat 'flapping arms' Ryan responsible for that goal, and as Aussie keepers go I believe he has not been one of our better ones over the years. He has had that position for too long. Mitch Langerak I rate as a better keeper and he has been ignored for years so the keeper coaching staff have a lot to answer for. Only 'Spider' whatshisname was worse. How Hiddink had him play against Croatia instead of the regular and fit keeper in that World Cup game was a major , major mistake ! It was like selecting you to play against your own family clan.

Ryan's reluctance to come off his line to crosses saw Australia lose badly to France in the World Cup. Arnold must have had a good talk to him after that game and he was better at coming out for the rest of the tournement. However its time to move on and we need new blood in that position. Lawrence Thomas was cast aside and he was a very good keeper. I also feel very sorry for Langerak and the way he has been treated. He has been an outstanding keeper in Japan year after year while Ryan has been a journeyman keeper in the UK and Europe for some time now. He seems to be a very demanding and sulky player with a now over-inflated opinion of himself who has seen better days. Time for renewal.
    This position should not be seen as a point to make as to who has played the most internationals for Australia in that position.

Mat, that dye job you had against Ecuador looked ridiculous. Time to call it quits for the national side, go out with some dignity. You have served your country well, but its time to step aside.

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    There’s been several comments from players in interviews that indicate he isn’t hands on at all, and keeps a professional distance from the squad. Kennedy et al are said to be the ones doing all the hands on work with training and coaching.

12. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    That’s Conti left spurs, stand bye for the lazy ‘journalists’ to link Ange, they’re so scared of our domination.

13. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby

Contes assistant taken charge until the end of the season. So it'll be the summer when he's linked

jake10 and PaddyJamieson like this.
  14. PaddyJamieson

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they make a serious approach for him in the summer. Still confident he'll lead us into the CL next season though.

The Magnificent 7 likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby

Knowing Spurs they will probably make * of it

16. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Cheap and lazy journalism.

The Magnificent 7 likes this.
  17. The Magnificent 7 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Get the big man tied to a chair with a long contract in front of him with a remuneration he can’t turn down.

I’ve said this before, if Rodgers was paid 50 grand a week, Ange is worth at least that amount. If I had the decision to make I’d ask him what he wants.

He has already, with the quality players he’s signed for the club, potentially made Celtic a handsome profit and he’s just in the door.

I’m not for dismantling the squad any time soon, but when the time’s right I’m sure the big man will improve the side exponentially, with some shrewd comings and goings.

The board are well aware Ange is sprinkling gold dust within our club both with the infrastructure, and the class players he’s unearthed for us.

This is a great time to support the club we love. On a personal level I haven’t enjoyed watching Celtic more since the MON era.

The tramps will need snookers early doors next season, and Beale will be seeking pastures anew soon. He’ll either be sacked or jump beforehand.

Make mine a treble Ange!

18. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Conte sacked. Let the Ange rumours begin.

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Harry Kewell has revealed the Ange Postecoglou text message charm offensive that convinced him to join the Celtic coaching staff..

The Aussie joined John Kennedy and Gavin Strachan by his compatriot’s side in the summer as first team coach and it’s been a shrewd move on both parts, with Kewellgetting to cut his coaching teeth away from the glare of being No 1, and the Hoops nine points clear at the top of the Premiership as players like Jota, Liel Abada, Kyogo and Daizen Maeda shine.

The last meeting between Kewell and Postecoglou prior to that came over a coffee in Melbourne when the then Socceroos boss informed the star man of Australian football that his international career was over. Kewell didn’t hold a grudge though, and admitted that Ange’s Celtic sales pitch, which included a glowing assessment of Kewell’s coaching abilities, meant he was keen to sign up straight away, although he made the boss wait for appearances sake.

I had originally just got the Barnet job and then things happened there,” Kewell reflected. “Then in the summer time I was talking to a club, let's just say I was talking to them on the Monday and I got a text from the manager and I was taken aback. It was just one of the nicest messages I’ve ever read from a manager to a young coach.

“I showed my wife and said I was going to ring him. He told me he’d love for me to join up, he knew what I’d been through and had kept an eye on me - I didn’t know that - and knew what I liked, what I didn’t like. He thought it would be a good environment for me to come in and work with a great team and get back to where I belong.

“I was blown away. I said I’d get back to him in a couple of days then told my wife I was taking the job, because the way he spoke was enough. I didn't want to sound too eager so made him wait a little bit! But I was ready to say yes straight away.

I’ve heard a lot of stories about the manager, but they’re stories. It’s nice to get your own picture. I think personally, there’s two sides to him. One is the manager; he's very strict, likes the way things are run and is very intense. I like that.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member