1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikey Johnston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Keano88, May 6, 2017.

Discuss Mikey Johnston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I don't usually like to be beligerant towards other members.
    Huns yes. Fellow Tim's, no.

But that is an outrageous load of bollocks you just typed.

Playing for Ireland doesn't mean a jot? Why? * are Scotland? World Cup record winners? Get a grip.

He's chosen to play for Ireland as he's on the back burner in regards to Scottish football. He's making important development steps in his game, and playing international football is one of them.

As for away fans laughing. You serious? Which game was this? Against who? And what away fans , in Scotland, EVER, have the luxury of laughing at us? Outwith the odd Sevco delusionary response to something. Please tell us, what team were beating us so badly that their fans LAUGHED when they saw this kid warm up?

Utter bollocks.

The kid is, and has been RAW as *. His decision making is atrocious, and he plays like a school boy; gimme the ball, gimme the ball, let me me run at * and shoot for a worldy.

This mentality you speak off seems to be another invented misnomer. Apparently Turnbull doesn't have it either? Turnbull? The kid who was in literal TEARS when he got crocked and knew his place in the first 11 might slip?

I absolutely detested seeing James Forrests name on a team sheet for almost 7 years. He was the same. Football, football, gimme the football.
    Wee * you used to run at people with his head down, clatter to the ground and then stay there, looking for the ref.
    * HATED that *.

It took a long, long time, for James to understand the deficiencies in his game. Too long actually.

It sounds like you WANT the same to be true of Mikey.

Another one of these "fans" happy to see his team suffer, as long as he's proved right.

Mikey has time.

I say we wait and see. Before calling him a "*" and spouting * about his commitment or mentality.

Mickmac, George Theodorou and Peej like this.
  2. BigDoggyWoofWoof

I suspect the same but he was given a contract not so long ago and there must have been a reason behind it. Serving as an emergency sub who can make quotas on the bench seems to me to be the most plausible reason.

3. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    It will be interesting to see how the Portuguese coaches approach him as their style is quite different to the British style.

George Theodorou likes this.
  4. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The club obviously see him as a passable club grown player. However if he wants to play regular football he is way down on the list at left wing. 4th choice behind Jota, Maeda and Hacksaw.

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Left wing options before MJ currently; Jota, Abada, Maeda, Haksa, Forrest, Berna, Kyogo, McGregor, Vata and John Clark.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  6. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    New recruit Mikey Johnston keen to kick on after becoming fan favourite with glittering Ireland debut against Latvia

MIKEY JOHNSTON got a call-up after breakfast with Stephen Kenny and gave Irish fans a mouth-watering appetiser on his debut cameo against Latvia.

Now he hopes that he can get his just desserts.

[​IMG]
    Mikey Johnston got a call-up after breakfast with Stephen Kenny and gave Irish fans a mouth-watering appetiser on his debut cameo against Latvia.

[​IMG]

His first impact was a run and shot against the post that led to Chiedozie Ogbene’s winner.
    [​IMG]
    He came close to the home side’s fourth when ‘Jinky Johnston’ skipped around three Latvian defenders only for his on-target shot to be deflected for a corner.

The Scotland-born star was a left-field recruit for the Boys in Green earlier this month when the FAI announced that he had switched eligibility from the Tartan Army to Ireland.

His roots were well-known, but the Celtic man was capped by Scotland at underage level and seemed destined to be a star for them before injuries halted his progress.

The 23-year-old then sought a loan move to re-establish himself away from Parkhead, going off the beaten track to Portuguese side Vitoria de Guimaraes.

And it was there that Kenny kept watching, and talking to him, about lining out for the Boys in Green.

But the first meeting earlier last month did not go quite according to Johnston’s plan — as he was left out for Vitoria’s clash with Braga.

The winger explained: “That was unfortunate, we went out for breakfast and he didn’t even see me play.

“It was disappointing but we did chat the next morning, it’s disappointing he came over and I didn’t even get a * minute! It was a wee bit in my head, he won’t pick me but he had watched enough games, the team in the background analysing my games.

“He just wanted to meet up with me, he’s a great man, a great manager, everyone knows that, I am delighted that he has shown faith in me.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  7. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    New Ireland hero Mikey Johnston becomes fan favourite with everyone saying same thing after electric cameo vs Latvia

MIKEY JOHNSTON may have only been introduced in the 64th minute of Ireland's friendly against Latvia...but there's already calls for him to start on Monday versus France.

The tricky winger injected some much-needed directness and spark to Ireland's attack, and he didn't waste any time in doing it either.

[​IMG]

He's definitely going to provide Stephen Kenny with a different option
    [​IMG]

The Celtic player is currently out on loan at Portugese outfit Vitória Guimarães

Within a minute The Boys in Green had regained the lead thanks primarily to him picking up the ball deep, going on a jinking run and then unleashing a rasping shot.

The strike actually struck the inside of the post and bounced out but thankfully his fellow sub Chiedozie Ogbene followed up and was there to gratefully prod home the rebound.

But for all that his first contribution in an Ireland jersey was his most consequential one, it might not even have been the one that most impressed fans.

At a later stage he received the ball on the left blank with little looking on.

But with a rapid shimmy he was away from one opponent before slaloming between two further foes and uncorking another powerful effort that was goal-bound but for a brave block by another Latvian who came flying in.

It was a rare and beautiful sight to see someone in a green shirt demonstrating such flair.

And understandably for as much as Will Smallbone's very composed display earned him MOTM and Evan Ferguson nabbed his first international goal, Johnston may well be the one player fans en masse are now most excited about.

One person tweeted: "Mikey Johnston with magic in his feet!✨"

While Newstalk commentator Stephen Doyle added: "Mikey Johnston was such an exciting talent when he broke through at Celtic.

"So unlucky with injuries. Great to see him look so confident on his Ireland debut tonight.

"A rare winger who tries to beat defenders."

And RTE journalist Anthony Pyne tweeted: "The game was dead last night before Mikey Johnston came on and produced a Jimmy Grimble of a cameo. He'll be fun to watch."

Lastly Dave compared him to one of our most naturally gifted players of recent times.

He said: "The Aiden McGeady regen' What a debut for Mikey Johnston.

"Off the bench, makes a goal and gets the fans off their seats, certainly one to keep an eye on."

8. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Liel Abada's Celtic party piece can be replicated by returning Mikey Johnston amid transfer uncertainty - Chris Sutton
    The Record Sport columnist was impressed with Johnston's performance for the Republic of Ireland.

[​IMG]

Mikey Johnston has become a bit of a forgotten man at Celtic in recent seasons. But his impressive cameo in Dublin this week might just have served up a handy reminder to his club manager and supporters.

It’s been a case of out of sight, out of mind for the winger. I imagine there are more than a few Celtic fans who didn’t realise he was still on the books Parkhead. Johnston has been on loan in Portugal with Vitoria Guimaraes and while we might not see him every week, he’s obviously showed enough this season to catch the eye of national boss Stephen Kenny.

And he more than took his chance when it arrived in midweek. He was electric when he came off the bench against Latvia and played a huge part in securing the 3-2 win after the Irish were in danger of throwing a two goal lead out of the window. I’m sure plenty of Celtic fans would have been tuning in and wondering, ‘who is this guy?’

They won’t have been surprised at some of the jinking runs though. We all know Johnston is capable of doing that sort of thing. He’s got wonderful feet and a turn of pace.

The only think he lacked at Celtic is a consistent run of games without being wrecked by injuries. I got the feeling fans were getting a little impatient with him, but only because they know he’s got talent.

I’ve said on these pages before I like the player as he can change games. I think he’s got something. He seems to have been around forever but at 23 years-old, he really needs to get his career up and running.

He should see returning as a massive opportunity for him, playing for a manager who loves his wingers and could get his game to the next level. Perhaps this loan spell will do the job.

Celtic have moved on in the last 18 months when he was out injured or in Portugal and it’s hard to see where he would fit in when Ange Postecoglou has so many dangerous wide men. The likes of Jota, Daizen Maeda, Liel Abada, Sead Haksabanovic and James Forrest, have all played a part.

That doesn’t leave much room and he’d be going back to the end of the queue. But coming on for the final 30 minutes and making a huge impact? That sounds familiar.

It’s been the Abada party piece at Parkhead this season – coming off the bench and getting fans on their feet. And with so much uncertainty surrounding Abada’s future, all of a sudden seeing Johnston back on the radar might make a bit of sense.

Postecoglou has previous for salvage missions. Just look at Anthony Ralston. When the manager came in, he was so far out in the cold he needed a team of huskies to get back in.

Ralston had been out for a couple of loan spells and no one would have been shocked if he moved on in the sumner of 2021. Postecoglou kept him around because he was short of bodies in that area of the team but the player grabbed his chance with both hands.

Ralston played a huge part in the title win last season and although he’s been primarily back up this term, he is still an important member of the squad. The same could happen to Johnston. It might all depend on what happens in the summer – especially with Abada.

It’s a strange situation with him. He has been terrific this season and his numbers in terms of goals and assists are incredible. He has been sensational when coming off the bench all year but you’ve got to say there have been times when he’s not quite hit the same heights when starting games.

There might be reasons for that, with teams setting up very defensively early on in games and Abada taking advantage when matches are more stretched. But there is no doubting his quality. The talk about him potentially leaving sounds premature to me.

We don’t know what he is thinking and it all seems to be coming from outside. There’s certainly been no sign of any huffing behind the scenes but, at the same time, every player wants to be in the starting line up most weeks.

Yet it’s clear the manager sees his bench as every bit as important to the side on the pitch at kick-off. Every week we see him make changes around the hour mark and it has a huge influence on games. When they are ahead it helps them kick on and win more emphatically. If they are drawing or even behind, it helps turn the game in their favour. All these late goals they keep scoring is no coincidence – it’s down to having such a strong bench.

Abada has been crucial in that regard but I would understand a level of frustration. I still think he is not the finished article and would be best advised to stick around a bit longer to keep developing. He’s a top talent already but he’s progressed under Postecoglou and another year or two would help him kick on again.

We’ve also seen the manager won’t mess around if they do have thoughts about leaving. Eyebrows were raised when Giorgos Giakoumakis and Josip Juranovic were allowed to go, but Postecoglou didn’t hang about in replacing them at the first hint they were for the off.

I’m sure he would do the same with Abada – but Johnston coming back might just mean he has a replacement already on the books.

9. PaddyJamieson

I might be being harsh. Just him talking up how he played in a good number of games one moment and then saying he needs to feel important the next. Gives me the sense he needs a bit of assurance rather, which Ange has always specifically said he can't and won't give players.

I think he'd thrive at a side where he's the main man.

10. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Yeah it sounds like he needs an arm around the shoulder type of manager or he needs to study confidence psychology

11. JamesM09

I 100% agree with this.

He has it in his locker to beat 3 men and deliver a final ball but what he’s doing is trying to do that every time.

As a winger you need to know when the dribble is on and when it isn’t. He puts enormous pressure on himself to dribble past defenders during his short stints in the team as if he has to do that to make an impact.

I firmly believe he shouldn’t be doing that. He’s a cracking player but he’s doing himself a disservice. It would be like Hatate taking digs all the time instead of playing the way Hatate does.

I remember saying it at the time, I’m sure the posts will be in here somewhere. He should come on, play some passes, work with the team to open space.

Build some confidence. Show everyone you can keep the ball and spot the opportunity to make the move.

Of course try a dribble when it’s on, but don’t try to beat 3 men. At the end of the day you can put 2 on their * but if the 3rd disposes you it’s a failed dribble.

I encourage everyone to watch Jota’s play. He won’t lose the ball unless it’s a corner. MJ can be like that too.

Liam Scales and NakamuraTastic like this.
  12. JamesM09

This is ridiculous.

How is Vata in before John Clark?

PaulM1888 and PaddyJamieson like this.
  13. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Spot on. Jota would be a good one to study for him. Who knows, maybe Kenny will teach him that? Actually, even though I'm not a Kenny fan, he's the perfect arm around the shoulder manager for him.

JamesM09 likes this.
  14. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Scotland have competed in eight World Cups, and five consecutive World Cups, Ireland three ? Do the maths yourself.
    You are deluding yourself if you think Johnson would ever get the call up from Steve Clarke. Johnson is effectively a failed Celtic player and stricken with injuries all the time. There is a reason why he has been loaned out. He won't be resurrecting any supposed Celtic career any time soon I feel, and I think you already know that. The same Mikey Johnson that his own manager Lennon told to * off once upon a time ? Not exactly a vote of confidence ? What say you ?.

Turnbull ? You think he has a long term future here ?. Been here three years and has flattered to deceive any time he has played, and is effectively a fringe player, unlikely to ever command a regular first team place. You think he will still be here next season ? We can revisit this another time and see what's what.
    Turnbull cried when he feared for his Celtic career ? I cry when I see his name on the team sheet.

I can't rermember the exact game that the away fans were laughing and mocking Johnston, but it did happen and it was reported in a media outlet. I wouldn't have said it, if I hadn't read it before.It's not really surprising when you consider at that time Johnson was failing to make any impact any time he came on, and he was * awful at Ibrox, maybe it was their fans that were mocking him ? It's never a good sign when away fans laugh at your players instead of fearing them. Don't you agree ?

I'm glad we have some common ground on Forrest, someone I have also seen all the same faults in throughout his career, and never really rated him either, despite the goals he has scored for the club.

No Celtic fan likes to see a player fail at the club, but Johnston is a busted flush here, his time has come and gone, and I think Ange probably has the same thoughts on it too.

You may see it different, and that is your opinion. That is what a messageboard is all about. Varying opinions.

Laugh, over react or get angry all you want. Play to the gantry.
    Who gives a * ?

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I think you’ll find we’ve failed to qualify for 6 consecutive World Cups?

StPauli1916 and NakamuraTastic like this.
  16. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    That is in recent times. I am talking about football heritage.

17. celtic20

He has outrageous natural ability to be honest. Just hasn't developed in the way we would've liked and injury has played a huge role. Lennon being an absolute * when he went off against St Johnstone didn't do him any favours either.

NakamuraTastic and Taylor1 like this.
  18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Genuine question; do you enjoy watching Celtic?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

19. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I am always suspicious of posters who feel the need to insert the word genuine into their questions.
    It's a silly question to ask a fellow Celtic fan, and quite frankly not worthy of an answer.

20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Means * all now though. What a mental point you're trying to make.

StPauli1916 and Liam Scales like this.
  21. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    This might be a task for Harry Kewell to undertake with him. Be his 'mentor' and set him straight. Do we also have a sports psychologist on staff ?

NakamuraTastic likes this.