1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

David Turnbull

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by GavCFC1, Aug 27, 2020.

Discuss David Turnbull in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Tbf he looked happy in a lot of photos on Twitter. But I do feel for him. Like him - he's a good player but when Hatate is playing like that it would take something special to dislodge him from the starting 11.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  2. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I can't see Turnbull having a long time future here, as he is lacking too many of the vital attributes to be able
    to make it under Ange. There also are so many other midfielders ahead of him in the pecking order, that I can't see
    a way through for him, and on the few opportunities he has had in the first team, he hasn't really shown enough
    to justify keeping his spot. I think we may see a few fleeting appearances for him as substitute in the future, with a view to keeping him in the shopping window for the summer transfer season.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Big assist for Oh but overall he was poor when he was on..

Isn't staking a claim for a first team spot..

Rydo1888* and Wllm like this.
  4. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    He got 2 assists and unlucky not to have a third (cleared off the line). I really think he gets a lot of unfair stick. He isn't pacey, but neither is O'Riley. The system needs one of the 2 AMs to have pace.

Leone Naka Fan and Liam Scales like this.
  5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    2 assists, and inch away from a hat trick of assists with Kyogo’s cleared off the line. The standards he gets judged by is * mental.

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Didn't realise he played Kyogo through. Was a very good ball..

Still think it's way too slow with him in there. First half I didn't even know he was on..

7. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    He is a clever player but I do wish he was more aggressive and have an eye for a shot as when he hits them he is good instead of turning away and playing a backpass or moving it sideways.

8. Martybhoy53

I think he’ll be gone in the summer. Too slow and doesn’t fit into the high press system we play.

9. Lewis Kerr

This is why stats are misleading, imo.

He wasn't great today and didn't really affect the game much, but because he put in a corner and laid a 3 yard pass to Haksabanovic he comes away with two assists, which, on paper, suggests he was pivotal to our win.

Twisty and neilly1987 like this.
  10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    There isn't a home grown player good enough to replace him is the problem. Any replacement that comes in if non homegrown either doesn't get in the CL squad or we leave Mooy, Iwata or O'Riley out. We are very thin regarding home grown too. McGregor, Taylor, Ralston and Turnbull are probably our best 4. The others are Forrest, Welsh, Bain and Mccarthy.

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

A goal is a goal and an assist is an assist, he has excellent end product no matter how you try chop it up.

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It’s only way to slow because Hatate’s not in there. We see the exact same thing with O’Riley and Mooy.

Look at the change in the dynamic when Haksa went in the middle. Immediately much more fluid and pace.

Leone Naka Fan and McChiellini.. like this.
  13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He was pivotal to our win. Very pivotal.

‘put in a corner’ how many of our players have the ability to set up a goal direct from a corner? I think there might be two at the most this year… * rarity.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  14. jvalin

Problem solved if we leave out Siegrist.

3 GK: Hart, Bain, Hazard
    8 Defenders: Johnston, Ralston, CCV, ball-playing CB to replace Starfelt, Yuki, Welsh, Taylor, Bernabei
    7 Midfielders: McGregor, Iwata, Hatate, Mooy, O'Riley, box-to-box midfielder to replace Turnbull, McCarthy
    5 Wingers: Jota, Maeda, Haksa, Abada, Forrest
    2 Strikers: Kyogo, Oh

Alternatively, can you guys think of a home-grown player who a) fits Ange's system and b) may be available for a reasonable price?

Wanted us to sign Porteous in January. He was available on the cheap. Ended up at Watford for £450,000. We were also linked with Nisbet.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  15. Lewis Kerr

I don't see it mate. It was a good corner but it was more about Oh for me.

He did play a good pass to Kyogo, I'll give him that. I just don't think he's good enough to be a starter every week here when you consider our current options.

16. celtic warrior

I think in terms of home grown in the SPFL there is next to nothing outside of Celtic that would be worth signing I think. The lack of Scottish talent is * alarming even outside of the SPFL if you ask me.

Side note, in four years time I feel like the national squad is going to be looking about as bad as it has ever been.

17. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If Ange were willing to play Turnbull beside McGregor or a fit Hatate, then his lack of pace/energy wouldn't be that problematic. Either that, or play a 4-2-3-1 system. I don't expect that to happen, but Turnbull is a good player who fills the homegrown quota.

I rate him, and it might be worth it to change McGregor's position to accomodate him (and help McGregor too- he's wasted at DM).

18. jvalin

Josh Doig may be a good shout. Can provide cover at both CB and LB. We could then loan out Bernabei. I doubt Verona would be inclined to sell Doig, but they might change their mind if they get relegated. They are sitting at 18th place right now. It's fairly likely they'll get relegated.

edit: Just saw he's linked with Napoli, Inter, Lazio and Roma. I guess that ship has sailed.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    But he’s not a starter? He’s a back up who needs to come into the squad and set up two goals for us to win? Why’s that not good enough

20. cammy07

He gets treated insanely harshly for me, guys stats must be unreal compared to how many minutes he’s played. He’s contributing far more than O’Riley at the moment, who admittedly has a far higher ceiling, is lucky to be getting the minutes he is.

Liam Scales likes this.