1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Alexandro Bernabei

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Valhalla, Jun 30, 2022.

Discuss Alexandro Bernabei in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I would like to see us loan him out, let another club develop him further, and buy a quality LB in the summer to challange Taylor.

I think the days when we develop raw players not ready for first team football is over. We should obviously develop players, but only those who are already good enough to start for us. If Taylor gets injured and we play Bernabei in Europe, we will get destroyed down his side of the pitch. The defensive side of his game is no where near good enough right now, but hopefully will be when he returns from a loan spell at another club.

2. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    He actually reminds me of Taylor at the start… he needs time and game time but how much is he gona get to get up to speed. Time will tell I suppose

3. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He seems to have an inventive football mind but he's not good enough defensively to play LB at a high level. I'm not saying bin him, I think he could succeed as a winger or even in a similar role as Hatate. Trouble is he's going to be a long way down the pecking-order for those positions here.

4. Gazzi79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hart
    Exactly just like Taylor in his first season. I think it'll be the same story for Bernie bhoy.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Boruc17 likes this.
  5. AnnoniOnAnawNoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Thought he had a pretty good game, shaky for first 30 minutes but to be expected when you've not played much football recently.

He's definitely a work in progress but I've seen nothing to suggest he can't improve and push Taylor for the LB slot, he just needs time and more consistent game time which he probably won't get at us. Maybe a loan next year will do him the world of good.

6. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Didn't have a great game and looked out of place in our system at times. Too fond of tricks and flicks and the difference between Taylor in there and him stood out a mile. Looks too casual and needs to develop loads to be anywhere near challenging for a start.

7. john2061

Just think if we are to progress in Europe never mind bernabi we need a upgrade on Taylor to do anything on the European stage.

8. Foley1888

He looked a lot more comfortable playing with Haksabanovic playing in front of him and that reminded me probably his best game for us to date was against Hibs at Celtic park, with Haksabanovic in front of him.

Bernabei’s positives are his pace, energy and ability to put a low cross in when getting to the byline, his negatives are his defensive positioning and his simple passing is very erratic. He doesn’t really suit being inverted as that relies on you being a good passer of the ball stepping into midfield.

You can see he is a converted winger. Given his relative strengths and weaknesses it isn’t a surprise he looks more comfortable with Haksabanovic in front of him, who is a ball hungry winger so shows for the easy pass, looks to go inside on his stronger right foot, so leaves room to overlap and creates space. Haksabanovic also works hard off the ball to provide defensive cover, more so than Jota so doesn’t leave the full back as exposed.

Not writing off Bernabei but if Taylor is struggling long term, I wouldn’t mind Anderson from the B team being given a chance, he is meant to be a good prospect and a stand out for that team. Tierney got his chance in similar circumstances when Izaguirre got injured.

Not comparing them as players, other than both being young academy left backs but if he can’t get a chance now not sure when he will, it might actually save us signing another player and help with the home grown pool for the future.

martin_d and PaddyJamieson like this.
  9. TheHappyLoss

Hearts targeted him all night, that kinda tells a story

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Good second half. Early days so will see how he gets on still. Looks like he could be very dangerous going forward.

12. PaddyJamieson

You're right, but second half he won all his duels. We shouldn't be writing him off just yet.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  13. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I've been saying this for a while.Matthew Anderson has been outstanding in the B team for a while now and is old enough at 19. He could well follow in Tierney's steps and save us a barrowload of money in signing another left back in the summer.

FranceCelt and TheHappyLoss like this.
  14. TheHappyLoss

That’s good to hear, been a while since someone came through

Taylor1 likes this.
  15. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    He’s actually a good player: can take guys on, has pace, bags of technique, and a good pass. He just isn’t a defender - even remotely.

We need another option at left-back; keep Bernabei and mould him into a left-footed winger for the right hand side of the pitch - another role that we badly need filled.

16. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Solid 2nd half, tbh he was iffy in 1st half, but I thought the likes of Ralston and McGregor were more slack on the ball than him.

17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Needs a run of games for sure, but I like what I see of him.

Reckon he's one who will get all of the last 3 or 4 games if that's when we officially win the league.
    A run of a few games will let Ange and ourselves judge him better than the sporadic appearances he gets just now from being out the team for awhile.

Going forward he's really got something we can enjoy, defensively he does need to work a little on that side, but as others have said - he's young, change in culture and football style etc, he won't be used to the style we have in Scotland.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    He does have good attributes but we signed him as a LB, as mentioned he's not a defender, his strengths are when he goes forward.

19. Jeffrey

The worrying thing for me is he never looks in control of the ball. Really needs to work on his touch and composure.

20. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Would be shittin like a Blackpool donkey if he ever got a run of games. :56:

Don't think he could be trusted as a defender tbh, opposition teams would target him, one thing you need in defence is stability, he dosen't give us that.

Taylor1 likes this.