1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

David Turnbull

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by GavCFC1, Aug 27, 2020.

Discuss David Turnbull in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Born green

I'm guessing you are referring to quality of player we are recruiting, but the rate at which we are recruiting is getting out of hand as well. The volume of our squad is outrageous. Obviously competition for places is a good thing, but how are we supposed to keep players like Turnbull, Haksabanovic or Forrest happy if they aren't even 2nd in line for their position?

Giakoumakis and Jenz understandably were fed up not getting enough game time and left. Turnbull could and probably should leave if he ends up back on the bench every week.

2. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    We need a big squad for the amount of games we play per season.

We can’t keep everyone happy and if players who are starting are performing then others will have to keep working hard and wait for a chance.

We have had it in the past when the squad is thread bare and caused us massive issues.

Forrest for me is a back up player now, he is getting on and squad player only. Turnbull is nowhere near getting a regular start for me now due to the quality we have. So maybe moving on will be best for all parties

Hacksaw keeps getting niggling injuries that keep setting him back.

Big Jackie I do feel for, but Jenz is different he was on loan, our main two centre half’s are much better than him and we sign another very good left footbed centre half.

Love the fact we are always on the look out for further talent and not scared to pull the trigger to get them in.

3. Born green

I think moving on will be best for Turnbull, but not for us. We clearly have more than enough talent to win the league now. Which is a lovely feeling. But what about next season's Champions League, when we have a maximum squad size of 25 and 8 have to be homegrown?

We're going to end up having half a dozen players not in that CL squad, as well as not being able to fill the 8 homegrown quota.

Right now we have Calmac, Turnbull, Taylor, Forrest and Ralston as the only realistic homegrown players that could contribute in the Champions League. Bain, Hazard, Welsh and McCarthy are no where near good enough to be in that 25. Mikey Johnston is still a question mark.

There is a distinct possibility that Turnbull, Forrest, Bain, Hazard, Welsh, Johnston and McCarthy all leave due to lack of game time. Then we'd be left with 3 homegrown players. That is deeply concerning.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  4. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    I think the problem last night was that he was too bogged down with his defensive duties that we didn’t see him in the last third, definitely improved in the second half, think we should keep him.

5. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Probably important to keep him around simply to meet the homegrown quota.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  6. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Him and Mooy didn't work and McGregor was a bit quiet too.

He was poor yesterday but his contributions recently probably did mean he deserved a start, particularly with O'Reilly not being great recently. Possibly gave O'Reilly a kick up the * too.

Dan Breen likes this.
  7. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Games like last night are where he should be imposing himself a bit more. He's got the ability.

Dan Breen likes this.
  8. Onefootwonder

He has talent, but he has to do more in games.

9. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Everybody was quite poor last night with the exception of CV and Maeda, St Mirren tired and the substitutes made the difference.

NomDePlum likes this.
  10. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yeh I'd agree with that. Maeda for me was exceptional that first 10/15 mins when playing on the left.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

If they’re not happy they can * off.

Why should we try to keep James Forrest happy? He’s 31 and well past his best.

12. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    To be fair I'm sure Forrest doesn't mind being a bit part player. He probably just loves being at Celtic, he's been here over 20 years.
    But I do agree with the sentiment. We're Celtic and we aim to win it all. You earn your start and regular game time, we can't just play second best to keep people happy if it risks trophies. Not everyone can be first choice but I do think most who have joined us have been given a fair shot by Ange and will continue to do so.

13. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    This game showed up his biggest weakness. He's not a battler. St Mirren turned it into a battle - they had a lot of big strong guys giving it 100% and Turnbull couldn't cope with it. For his size Hatate can battle as can O'Riley and Mooy despite it not being their biggest strength. Calmac can do everything well really. Turnbull was too slow and can't really tackle - the game was passing him by in the first half.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

David Turnbull got a bit of knock in the game last week, so he'll miss tomorrow and that's it. Everyone else is okay.

15. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Looked like someone had just oozed out a curly jobby in to his cappuccino during the celebrations.

Face absolutely tripping him.

neilly1987 likes this.
  16. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Probably wanted to play mate ... no wonder

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  17. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    That's the way he always looks in fairness.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  18. Big C

Can’t blame the boy for being * off. He obviously wanted to be involved.

19. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Get him to *. Walking about with his face tripping him after we just beat them in a cup final. Had his chance a couple of weeks ago at home to pishy St mirren and he done * all.
    Would much rather wee Jamesy had his place on the bench today at least he would of appreciated it

20. Lewis Kerr

I don't blame him for being downbeat, it's a grim feeling not getting on in a final and a manager overlooking you for 2 other midfielders. These occasions are always bitter sweet for players in that situation, especially ones who were previously involved more.

Turnbull wouldn't have added anything to the game today though. He's a decent squad option, but never gonna be a starter under Ange barring injuries.

neilly1987 likes this.