1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League Celtic v Shakhtar Tuesday October 25TH Kick off 8Pm

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Oct 22, 2022.

Discuss Celtic v Shakhtar Tuesday October 25TH Kick off 8Pm in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The naivety you speak of is actually ideological conviction about the superiority of the tactical style he champions, and isn't going away in one or two seasons. Insisting on said tactical style is to the detriment of results in Europe.

2. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    CL stats: Celtic total shots on target = 22 Celtic total goals = 3 Conversion rate = 1 in 7.3 Celtic corners = 28 Celtic average possession in CL = 45%

Shakhtar shots on target = 14 Shakhtar total goals = 8 Conversion rate = 1 in 1.7 Corners = 13 Possession = 40%

This is where our problems were this season.

Cut that shot conversion down to 1 in 2 and Celtic would be cruising......while shoring up the defence. But in saying that our goals conceded I believe is due to chasing the goals we should have already had and leaving ourselves too exposed

But. As disappointing its been we are on the right track in terms of playing football and having a go at teams who are better than ours

Skelleto likes this.
  3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Is it? Stats actually show we're in the top 10 in Europe for chances created. Conceded the same as PSG that top there group. Finishing is the problem. I have zero fear against any opponents now. As players develop, they'll become calmer and these chances will go in. Keep this team together and were dark horses in this competition next season.

Ofcourse we could alter style. Allow the other team to attack is for 89 minutes and try score a corner. Thatll never lead to true success. Give me angeball any day of the week. I'm proud of these players. Absoloutely went for it, played our game and never changed for anyone.

singer61 and 10/4 Kemosabe like this.
  4. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We just played a team that is doing wonders with a defensive style of football. And they had the best chance of the game, not us. They were unlucky to only draw with Real Madrid in Warsaw, too.

"Absolutely went for it" is incorrect. Last 20 minutes were a display of hesitant cowardice from us.

George Theodorou likes this.
  5. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Absolutely !

6. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Honestly didn't feel like Celtic last night. We were so passive.

O'riley was isolated and Hatate had a poor game. Really missed our captain.

Decent atmosphere but.

But ma car being keyd when a got back to it ruined ma * night. A wee trampy hun no doubt

NomDePlum and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  7. Paradise88

Where did u park

8. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Just off Dalmarnock Road, athletes village

9. Cringer67

This year is learning curve for the team. I have no issues with how its gone, some bad luck and a lot of naivety but we should be better placed next year. Our next 2 /3 signings need to be jota level players, that much is true. We now have a squad, we need next level players now. How we acquire them thankfully isn't my job. We were missing our captain and Jota last night, that cannot be underestimated. Arguably our two best players who belong on that stage. Take Mudryk away from that Shaktar team and we would have taken 6pts from the two games comfortably. Losing both was a step too far for the team.

Pogues likes this.
  10. Foley1888

For me last night we were naive in chasing the second goal, we shouldn’t have been as exposed to a quick counter for their goal. We had our full team nearly ahead of the ball when we were leading in the CL, We make a ropey pass on the edge of their box and we are exposed. That’s the fourth goal we have lost in this manner.

11. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

we had enough chances to win both games against themn with ease had we took our chances

wonder if they will go and play in the russian league as the others teams in the new russian territories have been invited, i doubt it somehow

12. Easter Rd Davie Once a Celt, Always a Celt Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    In The Heat of Lisbon
    …albeit a team which ironically adopted Livingston’s park-the-bus tactics…:31:
    :38::s:

13. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Aye mate but Livingston got guys like Jason holt on a breakway from defence to attack and they have mudryk

Easter Rd Davie likes this.
  14. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Just rewatched the highlights. Our chances weren't huge. Even the Kyogo one. Had Kyogo waited to line up a right-footed shot, my guess is that Trubin saves it with his left foot instead of the body- he'd made himself big (easy when you're Forster's height).

15. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I've had this thought recently too, and not just for CL nights either.

The stats say even in the CL we are a really attacking side, who just can't finish. Doesn't always feel that way though. Definitely feels a different tempo and less attacking than last year to me.

16. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Think this post is bang on, other than I would say Ange was making the point strongly last year he would far rather that a player gamble on an attacking move, even high risk, than playing it backwards. Which no longer appears to be the case.

seanm likes this.
  17. adequate citizen Zenon Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
  18. seanm

Yep just hail Mary crosses and try to catch a break.HH

19. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Wonderful, we are just one of many tourist attractions in Glasgow for visiting teams. It's become cringeworthy that this is all we are now remembered for in the CL, how loud the crowd roars at the start.

20. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Do you know where these rankings could be looked at? I'm interested in seeing who are we worse/better than in both metrics.