1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    I think the greed will get to them and they'll try PPV!

Reading the comments on Fury's twatter is funny

Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 08.24.50.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 08.18.11.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 08.24.03.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 08.29.03.png

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    Liam Scales likes this.
  2. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Tyson Fury says Derek Chisora is as good as Oleksandr Usyk
    By Coral BarryBBC Sport

[​IMG]
    Tyson Fury is undefeated in 32 fights with 23 knockouts

Tyson Fury says he rates Derek Chisora as highly as unified heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk before their trilogy bout in London on 3 December.

WBC champion Fury defended his decision to fight 38-year-old fellow Briton Chisora, having beaten him twice.

He also said he intends to take on Usyk in an undisputed bout next year.

"I can beat anybody in the world - always have been able to and always will be able to," said 34-year-old Fury.

"There's nobody that can touch me. I'm in a league of my own."

After moving up from cruiserweight in 2019, Usyk's second fight at heavyweight was an unanimous points win over Chisora.

He beat Britain's Anthony Joshua for a second time in August to retain his WBA (Super), WBO and IBF titles.

"Usyk was a little small heavyweight, who wasn't going to do anything against AJ, when Chisora fought him," Fury said.

"But then he stepped up and beat the big bodybuilder [Joshua] and all of sudden he's a killer? I don't think so. I rate Derek Chisora as highly as I rate Usyk."

Chisora was well beaten by Fury in 2011 and 2014 and has suffered three defeats in his past four fights.

Fury, who stood up for most of Thursday's news conference, said he always planned a third fight against Chisora, who he insisted was a worthy opponent.

"As for me trying to sit here and try to sell Derek Chisora to the fans, I ain't got to sell absolutely nothing to nobody," he said.

"With Chisora, it does exactly what it says on the tin: he goes to war. He's changed his name from 'Delboy' to 'War', and we're going to get a war.

"I did outbox him comfortably the second time. Chisora's style has changed and guess what - so has mine. I used to be a tip-tap boxer jabbing around the ring.

"I'm now a HMS destroyer. When you've got two heavy forces colliding, someone's getting knocked out."

[​IMG]
    Fury was in talks to fight Anthony Joshua

Joshua and Usyk cast big shadows

Before the news conference Fury suggested buying League One football club Morecambe and flashed around £10,000 in cash.

It was the money he gained from his promoter Frank Warren after winning a bet that former champion Joshua would not sign a contract to face him.

Joshua and Fury failed to come to terms over a fight last month, forcing Fury's team to switch their primary focus to fighting Chisora.

Joshua and Usyk were repeatedly mentioned on Thursday, while Chisora tried to call Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn and also questioned why Fury's team had such a "chip on their shoulder" when it came to Joshua.

"Don't forget you've got the so-called top guys in the division - we offer them big fights, no smoke. You offer it to Derek Chisora. Boom, he's sat here opposite me," said Fury.

Chisora, who is managed by Joshua's management company, snapped back at Fury's insults during the customary face-off, telling the 'Gypsy King' Joshua would face him in the future.

There is little debate that Fury in his current form is levels above Chisora. Even the Chisora who was at the top of his game at the age of 27 could not live with a then 23-year-old Fury in their first fight in 2011. The rematch in 2014 was even more one-sided.

But Fury's team insist he was left with little choice of opponent after the Joshua fight collapsed, and Warren began the news conference by defending the fight at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Warren listed several boxers who were unavailable to fight, including Briton Joe Joyce and Usyk. Chisora, according to Fury's team, was the best option at 14th in the WBC rankings.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said: "Look at what Derek did with Oleksandr Usyk. That was a touch-and-go fight.

"Every time you match hard-hitting opponents you have to say a prayer that something bad doesn't happen. I'll be as nervous as anyone on the night."

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Mate do you fancy me? Just slip into the DM's I'll pump you not a problem.

Very angry young man.

He will fight Usyk next year, guaranteed. The AJ fight won't happen until AJ wins at least 1 big fight, he knows he's walking into an tanking otherwise.

I'm in the same boat as everyone else, it's a stupid fight to make and it's to get Del a pay day but it at the very least keeps Fury active.

4. Al Bootyerbaws

This is the boxing bit of a Celtic forum. If you want to talk about pumping guys go do it somewhere else. Silly *.

honda likes this.
  5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It’s a * fight and there should be absolutely no defence of it, or Fury for taking it. Warren is even on record as saying Chisora shouldn’t be fighting anymore, and that was years ago.

He gets cut a lock of slack because of his time out of the ring with mental health issues (which coincided with his PED ban, strangely), but I think more people are starting to wise up to his antics.

Could’ve been so much more, but not far off 20% of the fights in his entire career will have come against a) Wilder - whose best win remains Ortiz and b) Chisora who has never threatened to reach elite level. Absolutely no need for it.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  6. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

The second fight was one of the most one sided beat downs you’re ever likely to see.

There’s plenty of better, more competitive fights out there, but this is the easiest one that makes the most money. Shame.

Fury had absolutely no intention on fighting Joshua next. This was always the plan, Fury has been talking about giving his mate a pay day for years.

Matchroom and Joshua called their bluff over the key points of the deal and Fury’s team kept adding on more requirements, stipulations, and imaginary deadlines, in the midst of them trying to negotiate a multi million pound commercial contract for the biggest fight of all time.

Sad thing is, this garbage will sell out and probably do ok on the pay per view.

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Agree with all of this but last part.

Not even sure it will go to PPV personally, but it will tank off it does imo. Even among very casual boxing fans, the feeling seems to be that this is a * take. Run up to Christmas on the middle of a cost of living crisis as well.

May well fill the stadium, but will have to price tickets very conservatively to do so, imo.

NakamuraTastic and Liam Scales like this.
  8. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, you could well be right there.

I’m confident it sells out right enough as Chisora is a big ticket seller and that’s without an opponent like Fury.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s Chisora’s last fight either, although I’ve been saying that for ten years :56:

NakamuraTastic and Liam Scales like this.
  9. Al Bootyerbaws

NakamuraTastic and King of Kings like this.
  10. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    And still we will all most likely watch the fight :56:

I like Fury, but this made me lose some respect for him as i would love to see him fight Usyk. But im sure he will eventually. We never know what's going on behind the scenes.

11. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I think even if the Usyk fight couldn’t be made - and Usyk did justifiably say it was too soon for him after Joshua - there were better opponents out there than Chisora.

Personally I won’t watch. I rarely pay for fights these days and can’t be arsed searching for a stream unless it’s something that interests me.

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Now, now, don’t be like that. I’m trying to be pals.

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Getting back to the grown ups chat, most will watch the fight - including those saying they won’t.

If they weren’t interested they wouldn’t be * in the first instance. They’d just ignore it. Truth is it’ll be a sell out and plenty will still pay to watch. That’s why it’s taking place, Fury is that much of an upside it can carry a sub-par opponent.

14. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    The thing that would make this interesting is if an upset happened just like the time when Whyte was totally rocked by Povetkin

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

50k sold on day one. Never in doubt they’d sell the gaff out.

16. scootz

Madness - sure, folks like there night out, but I can't for the life of me see any attraction for this fight.

17. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Tbh I was gutted when I thought it'd be fury v Joshua as I have rod the ghod on 3rd, now I ain't bothered.

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It was guaranteed, that’s why they’ve made it despite not a single soul actually wanting it.

Lovely new stadium, Chisora from London, Fury the best of his era by a country mile. They weighed it up and took a punt.

19. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    So not sold out then.

People may be willing to pay to watch a drugs cheat beat a washed up domestic level fighter for the 3rd time, but it’s still a * fight.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Not sold out :56::56::56:

You’re a funny lad.