1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    The simple fact is no one would be talking about game management if we take our chances. This game management chat is just raking over the coals of a fire that was started by a lack of ruthlessness up front.

Noskeil likes this.
  2. PaddyJamieson

I agree, mate. It's obviously not been perfect but the issues people have been raising would seem far less significant if we'd just taken our * chances. We'd be sitting on at least 3 points right now, with likely at least a point from Tuesday, with qualification still possible and 3rd strongly in our hands.

Things are looking up - it's not been ideal, but I've been very encouraged with a lot of our football.

JML67 likes this.
  3. HatsmyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I would still be highlighting the triple sub. Although I'd be saying we got away with it.
    However we didn't take our chances and didn't get away with it.

4. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

It was you that brought up Lennon, you started the condescension and I think you should check the definition of defamatory.

5. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Even after the triple sub though we were creating chances and should of scored. A lot of the team was out on their feet and he needed fresh legs on.

6. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Ive got every right to call people out as being childish. Some of the reaction on here to the midweek result was infuriating, completely blinkered tantrums from people who think club football hasn't changed in the ways it has since the 00s. The Ange project doesn't need that noise.

7. HatsmyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    You see it your way, I see it mine. I felt we bacame a bit disjointed and lost some of our fluidity

8. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I use this saying alot, you can only * with the * you've got. Ange can select the team, tell them the tactics, when the whistle blows for KO if the team plays and don't take chances thats not on the manager thats on the players, the manager can't do nix about it. If we were playing and not making chances, then fans can start saying this is down to management. This is firmly both mental and about belief, something the front line is completely void of at the moment. Will it stay like that? I seriously doubt. Confidence is easy to lose but hard to regain, the longer it goes on the more it's then inside your head, not only are you thinking about scoring but also thinking of missing more. Is it ime for a sports psychologist? Possibly..

I'm completely with you on some of the over reaction, some fans are trying to run before they can even walk, aye what ange is doing here is good, but taking the ECL lightly is so far off the mark. I hope the money from the ECL will be used on the squad for next year, this is a long game not an overnight fix, some of the fan base need to recognise this and be less deluded. We're just not at the stage of the rebuild for ECL, that's just facts.

Mickmac likes this.
  9. James Gold Member Gold Member

It's not a fact though is it ? There's been plenty of games since Ange came in where we've let teams back in the game just off the top of my head and sticking to Europe Betis and AZ away have been 2 games.

10. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I agree we did lose our shape which always happens when you sub 2 midfielders but we were disjointed before the subs, then unfortunately we didn’t have the depth to bring on but we definitely needed to make subs.

There is no chance with the way we play that we wont need to make a few subs by 60mins at that level.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The problem is, in order to attract better players, we'll have to raise the club's reputation. By doing some damage in ECL. I'd say that is worth compromising on some tenets of Angeball, until we get better quality of players- a Jota or CCV for 7-8 positions on the pitch.

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.
  13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

In reality like psg, if you pay the money, the players will come.

Noskeil and BigDoggyWoofWoof like this.
  14. murphy88

We scored the 4th highest number of goals in the Europa League last season and still didn’t progress, because we conceded the most. Albeit last season was a compete free hit in my opinion, but the style we have played this season has been very similar. We are too open. Not taking chances has been a massive problem I’ll agree with that, but we still need to be a lot harder to break down.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    Lewis Kerr likes this.
  15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I actually disagree with the idea that this is simply a case of us not taking our chances.

We’ve looked good going forward, but frail at the back, with an disorganised press and weak midfield. The only game in which I think we deserved more than we got was against Shakhtar, who themselves seemed very content to play for a draw.

It’s been a poor campaign, exploding a number of weaknesses and making me doubt we’ll see any success in Europe if we adhere to such a idealistic brand of football.

16. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    We are fragile at the back, better teams can play thru our press and exploit the space we leave, it's almost too easy at times it's embarrassing.

For the most part it works in our domestic League because the opposition are so poor, but Europe is a whole different matter.

Must be honest from a financial point of view it's great that we are in the CL, but i don't look forward to our games.

martin_d and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  17. Dallas Cowbhoys

I would love to watch our CL games as a neutral, must make for cracking end to end football.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  18. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I've read one kinda positive comment about us on a Croatian forum, after the Real game, but that was it. I don't know if many neutrals noticed us or Ange. Meanwhile, Shakhtar grabbed a lot of attention, not just in Croatia.

King of Kings likes this.
  19. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Teams confident on the ball and with the ability can play through our press, we are very similar to Leipzig in that regard cause as soon as you break through the first line of the press the space opens up.

What we don’t do enough is set traps, let then have the ball in certain positions and then corner them in outwide. Which to be fair we did do a several times but then they just played a 60 yard switch into feet.

Ange’s system is more set up for a counter press which unless you have the bulk of possession in the game just isn’t going to work. It’s a learning curve though, we were never going to be waltzing in this season to the knockouts without some luck. It’s a reality check for us all but Ange needs to stick to his guns now.

20. HatsmyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    One thing that's worrying me SLIGHTLY, is how much closer to Angeball we are after 3 windows than we were after 1.

Angeball is essentialy score more than we concede. But to do that we need to be clinical. Kyogo seemed to offer that but has been found wanting at CL level.

GG might be more prolific if he gets more game time.

Our best option on the wings is still Jota and Abada.
    Although I don't really think CalMac is a defensive mid, he remains our best option for that position, although Abildgaard might prove to be better.

Our best options in goal and defence were either in place or came in window 1.

Obviously the amount of players that came in window 1 couldn't be repeated, but in windows 2 and 3 I can only see O'Riley and Hatate as improvements in midfield.

Hacksa Abildgaard and GG might all become first team regulars, but as it stands our first 11 were in place after window 1, with the exception of O'Riely and Hatate.

martin_d likes this.