1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Joe T, Dec 29, 2011.

Discuss The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Cleansheets

Chap in my O45s team had a heart attack on the pitch today.

He's OK but it exposes the big question... football certainly helps keep you fit, but it's very heavy exercise. At what point do you accept that football is too much of a risk for any player, and gentler exercise is more appropriate.

Seems to me that after 50 people need a rego check on their cardiac health before being allowed to play.

2. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Screenshot_20220813-102842_ColorNote.jpg Screenshot_20220813-100605_Strava.jpg Screenshot_20220813-095158_Strava.jpg this morning's weights stuff and managed to tighten up split times and get a sub 25min 5k for first time since starting back.

Maestro 08 and Saul Goodman like this.
  3. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    No harm in getting checked for peace of mind of course but I don’t think it should be a reason to put anyone off exercising unless they are directly told they aren’t physically capable.

Plenty of people do intense exercise beyond the age of 50 and the research shows that more often than not it’s beneficial for their health.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  4. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I play basketball because I'm pish at football :56: but I was playing against a masters team full of 60 year olds. Fit as * and just as fast. Impressive. What was more impressive was one player who looked the same as them although slower was... 92 years old :56: playing against us in our late 20s. What a guy. Played up until the day cancer took him. * what the doctor says, I'm playing until I drop aswel.

bagforlife and NakamuraTastic like this.
  5. Mr Cleansheets

Agree with all that, but nothing wrong with getting a regular check up.

6. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    A few years ago I was in Silkeborg in Denmark (I was about 44). My mate loves badminton so he invited me to go play against the senior citizens, all 60 and over. He warned me they were super fit...and by jove they were. I was gassed out after about 15 minutes.

bagforlife likes this.
  7. leeso-ardoyne

Been out doing a bit of running again to get my fitness levels up again with me and the 2 young lads for boxing. 3 of us go 2 to 3 nights a week now and fitness is improving massively since cleaning up my diet again and back on the organic veggie juices. Although the youngest finding the up hills difficult in the heat as ya can see in pic below lol. An hour we done in pic below and he was the first to throw the towel in although fair * him. He's a battler alright. Loves fighting like his aul lad and can't get enough of the training. When I come home from work every night he challenges me too a spar and have to put the gloves on and ness about with him for awhile. Can be draining straight after diner but as a da, ya just have to do it if he's full of beans wanting too.

rsz_screenshot_20220814-185332_2.png

8. Keano88

A nice wee tip for anyone that’s just beginning, like me a few weeks ago.

If you’re like me you might struggle with push ups a little to begin with, my body just seemed too heavy for my arms to start with, so I decided to do 50 a day whilst using a table, like the image below.

[​IMG]

Takes a lot of strain away and helps you build up to being able to comfortably do the proper ones which I can now do easily.

I still dabble in the table ones when cooking dinner or making a cup of tea.

Maestro 08 likes this.
  9. Keano88

Im 5’11 and 13 stone at the moment, which is fine, but apparently my weight for my height should be about 12 stone or so.

I’m not really bothered about the weight at all, mainly just working on stamina/fitness and toning the stomach and shoulders really. Although I’m sure I’ll probably drop a few lbs as I continue the daily routine and eating healthier than before.

10. Mr. Slippyfist

Don’t listen to whatever your weight “should” be, if I was supposed to be 11s 3 as per my height and age, I’d look like Freddie Mercury the day before he died.

11. Keano88

:56:

.. aye I’m not fussed about losing any weight tbh mate as I’d probably be the same.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I don't weigh myself really but think I'm about 14 stone and I'm 6'1..

Do press ups near on every day, sit ups and bicycle squats....then use the park apparatus' as well..

Done 6k the day but was hitting 20k at time's last year. Stopped doing as many though as didn't like how much was dropping off me..

Best advice i got on here funnily enough was just go at one pace when you do your runs if you're looking for stamina. Within week's I was going from bear dying to reach 4ks to 10-12# within ease. Then you up the pace a lot more as well once you're there..

Lot of it's mental I think. The mind tells you you need to and want to give up when you start working out or running..

13 stone doesn't sound bad for your height at all really to be honest..

Maestro 08 and Keano88 like this.
  13. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Plan was to build up to 10k by start of October but went and done one tonight. Hopefully crack on with that distance or thereabouts and get the time down too.

Attached Files:

14. Keano88

Starting off small with the jogging the now, as I’ve no really been that active sports-wise since lockdown - other than walks.

- Done 10k on the bike.
    - Walked 2 mile to the nearby fitba pitch.
    - Lapped it 3 times
    - Ran the length and back 3 times
    - Walked the 2 mile home

Legs totally fine to keep going but need to build the lungs back up I think :fear: …. We’ll get there.

15. Keano88

Will take that on board mate. Cheers.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  16. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Been ticking over lately and eating quite well and definitely feeling less bloated/heavy although haven’t weighed myself.

Sunday - I played about 60 mins of an 11 a side match.
    Monday - had an hour of training.
    Tuesday - went to the local park and did 4x4 minute runs and about 10/15 mins of 20 metre sprints.
    Wednesday - trained for an hour again.
    Today - resting.
    Tomorrow - First game of the season.

neilly1987 and Keano88 like this.
  17. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    I'm now trying a no carb diet, day 2. I'm not using it for weight loss, it's cos I feel bloated and lethargic all the time. I was going to try the carnivore diet - but man alive I need greens. So basically, I've tweaked it. It's meat, fish, eggs, greens / veg, no sugar, no carbs, only salt, drink mainly water. The carnivore diet (no veggies) is supposed to stop inflammation, which I suffer from but I'm adding some greens!

Early days but I have more energy and far less bloating. I think bread, wheat and pasta doesn't agree with me..always sends me to sleep and leaves me like Chicago..aka The Windy City. I just came back from a bike ride and 70% through it all my energy suddenly dropped :) so that'll be interesting to see how it goes long term. I'll try it for a month and then reassess.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    Saul Goodman and Keano88 like this.
  18. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Cardio will be more difficult without the carbs but you’ll definitely have more mental energy and feel better in general. Was the case for me on keto anyway.

As far as I know there are professional athletes who do keto but they have been on it a long time so as to allow their bodies to adjust to using the fats for energy effectively.

19. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    I was looking at the Keto but it looked quite complicated. I'll try this for now. Yeah cycling will probably be ok after a scoff but less effective a few hours in lol

It does seem that just cutting sugars and carbs seems to help a lot of people out. Also, there's evidence that high protein long term isn't great for you so it won't be forever!

I'll be craving a bowl of cornflakes in a week...Heroin..no way - I'll take the cornflakes instead!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  20. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I remember the first week or so of keto I craved cereal badly… special K, Rice Krispies everything… that was over three years ago and I’d say I’ve maybe had 10 bowls of cereal in that time (excluding weetabix).