1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Partners CCV?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Aug 17, 2022.

Discuss Who Partners CCV? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Looks up for grabs just now for me, who would you go for?

Our 3 goalscoring CB’s :fear:

2. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Starfelt for me. Continuity is key for building a positive solid partnership, and CCV and Starfelt have played a season together already.

Jenz has passed the early eye test, and being left footed is a big bonus, but it would be hard to put someone who's only on loan in over a proven performer. Excellent back up and if he has a good season, definitely look to bring him in permanently. Could be a good option to have in Europe.

Welsh is 4th choice, and other than potentially some loans away, should be happy to have a career as such here.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Starfelt as good as he did I thought was a guy we should look to improve on, small sample size for Jenz admittedly but his attributes was exactly what I was wanting to replace him with.

Harsh on Starfelt I think as well but no pre-season added into that, think by the time he’s fully fit Jenz will have cemented his place.

I really like Welsh, I’m desperate for him to go on loan though, only way I see him being able to come back next season and genuinely compete. Keeping him here for 10/15 games this season, won’t allow him to build on his potential. I think he’s highly underrated by our fans though, and the fact good teams in good leagues have looked at him and we’ve rebuked them and how highly Ange thinks of him makes me think that’s the general opinion of him as a footballer. But he needs games.

Jenz is right footed as well btw, has played right back in his career but that shows you his ability on the ball that because he’s at LCB, and comfortable, you could mistake him for left footed.

martin_d, Mickmac and Gazzi79 like this.
  4. paulmcq1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady, donati, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    A lot of people don't really like Welsh but I thought he was outstanding against Aberdeen. Starfelt currently for me but its great to have those 3 options and even jullien still to choose from. Never known us to have such depth at centre back

James Mc and martin_d like this.
  5. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    CCV and Starfelt is a proven partnership, and the best partnership in the league. But Jenz have impressed and seems to be more of a threat for set pieces.

Would go with CCV/Starfelt for now. Dont break that up!

6. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Starfelt right now for me. Jenz hasn’t done enough to prove he’s better but he owns the shirt for now. Welsh was man of the match in his sole appearance don’t forget also.

martin_d likes this.
  7. celtic warrior

I mean I could try and would love to...not sure I'd be able to keep up and satisfy him though

8. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

This for me is also a big plus for Jenz. Starfelt and CCV are proven solid but the big German has already scored a few for us, which we lacked a lot last year.

Liam Scales and Skelleto like this.
  9. apevrak

We need ball playing CB's in Ange's system and right now Starfelt is streets ahead of Jenz and Welsh when it comes to the passing game. If we're being overrun in Europe and Angeball is countered I would prefer speed and strength at the back which could make a case for Jenz over Starfelt.

10. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Jenz for me. As good as Starfelt was last year, I felt that we should try and improve on him and I’ve really liked what I’ve seen from Jenz. Looks far more comfortable on the ball and even though he was beaten in the air a couple of times but by lafferty, I was impressed at how comfortable he seemed in that physical battle

Artorias likes this.
  11. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'd go with Starfelt myself. Just think he's built up a good understanding with CCV and has all but eradicated the mistakes from his game. Big man deserves his spot.

12. jambo_cfc

Jenz for me , 2 games 2 goals shows he could be pivotal in our box and the opponent’s. Granted starfelt scored at the weekend but he didn’t score at all last week. Think the extra height will help us. A like starfelt but Jenz hasn’t really done anything wrong to lose his place so far

13. murphy88

Starfelt has earned the right to remain as the partner initially. He got better as last season went on, as did Carter-Vickers as their partnership matured.

Not sure if we will see it this season, but with the personnel we have now, we could also change to 3 at the back. This would allow us to get Giakoumakis and Kyogo in the team as well which is something I would look at for certain home games.

14. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Like to see starfelt and jenz play together a bit too over the next few weeks at the appropriate times. starfelt done a lot of donkey work last season and got lot of unfair flak at times

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

15. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
  16. PaddyJamieson

Starfelt for me right now, but I expect Jenz to push on and eventually take his place. He has better attributes overall, just still looks a bit rough around the edges.

17. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Jenz. Just looks more comfortable on the ball, forward passing is good and more of a goal threat. Still think Starfelt makes mistakes which aren't highlighted as they usually aren't punished in the SPL but would be in Europe but still to see how Jenz copes against better opposition too.

18. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Starfelt for now and see how Jenz goes over time when he gets his chance and in training. Good problem to have at least.

Other topic of interest - Dev what the * are you doing thinking about this at 3.30am on a Wednesday morning mate :giggle1:

19. celtic warrior

Think Jenz keeps his place for now...done * all wrong to lose it just because Starfelt is coming back from injury.

Happy enough with 5 subs we allow Starfelt more game time and to get the sharpness in his legs but I wouldn't be forcing him back in.

Same can be said about Welsh though.

Lad very rarely ever puts a single step wrong and does everything so perfectly averagely...not a world beater or VVD-esq just goes about and does what's asked of him to a tee. But constantly gets puts out regardless.

20. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Still Starfelt for me, purely based off last season, but, Jenz looks a perfect fit for us as well.

Mentioned it in the Maeda thread the other day, but Ange clearly likes different options for different scenarios so I think we’ll see them both partner CCV depending on what Ange thinks we need on the day. Never thought we’d have such a proper, forward thinking manager, streets ahead of anything we’ve had imo, in regards to organising the squad.