1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Giorgos Giakoumakis

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Giorgos Giakoumakis in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    He may get involved in the play more, but that doesn't mean he is necessarily more involved in the game. I think the work Kyogo does off the ball, when we have possession, often gets overlooked. He is always on the move dragging defenders all over the place creating space for the midfielders and other attackers to exploit. He may not directly be involved in the play, but he is still contributing as the defenders know they can't leave him unmarked, so his little darting runs often tie up a couple of the opposition players at a time while they decide which of them is going to track him.

GG will be more directly involved in hold and link up play, but he is more reliant on others creating space for him in the box rather than for him creating it for others, although he does do that as well at times, just not as relentlessly as Kyogo.

Of the 2 though I do expect GG to have a better goals per minutes played ratio by the end of the season.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  2. celtic warrior

Giakoumakis to have a better goals per minute ratio probably is a decent shout.

Don't know where on earth a fan sitting at home can find it but I'd then like to see a comparison of goals scored by Celtic when Kyogo or Giakoumakis plays.

Like, would it show there is more goals in total by the squad if Kyogo is playing compared to when Giakoumakis is playing.

Not to over simplify the matter but obviously the more goals we score...the better we do, I wonder if that will be why we might see more minutes out of Kyogo than from Giakoumakis.

If any of that makes sense.

3. celtic warrior

In essence to summarise my post.

If for every Kyogo 90 minutes as a squad we are scoring 2 goals a game but with every 90 minutes of Giakoumakis we score 1.5 goals as a squad.

I can see why Kyogo starts as even if neither are necessarily scoring those goals...we are more potent as an 11 with Kyogo.

Now, I'd be interested to see the same comparison of Abada against Maeda.

4. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I understand what you are getting at, but again it's hard to contrast them directly. GG and Abada are coming on to play against defences that have already been run ragged by Kyogo and Maeda. You'd need to try and find stats only for games started and then for the minutes they are on the park to do direct comparisons. I'm not sure that kind of detailed info is out there. Well, outside of Lennoxtown anyway.

5. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Where did I say I can’t accept having two good strikers?

I’ve posted several times about having two forwards who can score goals will be in our favour.

Punt Kyogo? Crazy choice of words, like I’ve said we use both but start GG I’ve said in various threads we can use both in the correct way.

We are not playing in the Europa league this season so it will be completely different.

At the time around the Bodo game big GG just came back into the side after injury spells and needed some time to get up to speed.

He offers something completely different to Kyogo and like on other various threads I’ve post about this GG could start and when the other sides legs are getting tiered have Kyogo come on with his movement and speed.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Punt Kyogo in the sense of punting him from the starting lineup. Not that crazy since you’ve said you want GG to start.

Now while I quoted your post, my post is directed at everyone who is wanting GG to start over Kyogo, just that the multi quote function didn’t work after numerous attempts. Annoying when you are pulling 4 or so quotes from full posts.

Very obvious that we aren’t playing in the Europa, but I’ve covered that in further posts but to reenforce the point I made, Kyogo has proved himself at that level, GG hasn’t. Yes it’s a step up to the CL, but there’s nothing to say that he can’t handle the step up.

8. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    The way the goalie fell over after the nutmeg was brilliant comedy, just a slow motion "*, I'm falling over now out if embarrassment"

9. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    So Cause GG never score against Bodo when the whole team was * means he can’t cut it? Even if Kyogo was fit that result wouldn’t have been different.

We both know that.

Also you avoided the fact that GG never had a pre season and picked up knocks due to this he took his time to adapt unlike Kyogo who had played more than half a season already and was match fit.

We can both use states and facts in this debate.

GG hasn’t had a chance to prove himself though has he? Let’s be honest about it, two play off games where the entire team was * doesn’t help at all.

Kyogo done well in the Europa, not saying he didn’t but the champions league will be different we both know that. GG is now settled and offers us something different up top which I have stated countless times.

You may not agree which is fine but I feel like others do that GG starting maybe a better option due to his gameplay and what he offers, then bring on Kyogo.

At no point did I say Kyogo can’t handle the step up, that’s your words not mine, but I believe that GG will offer us more.

Only time will tell.

10. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    I thought he was excellent at Ibrox.

Set up the best chance of the game from which Abada should have scored and was a general nuisance. Also did some critical defensive duties in our box when defending set pieces.

I'd like to see him start the next game v them. They can't handle him.

bhoy81, greengrocer and charlietully like this.
  11. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    So this really appealed to my inner geek....

Based it on games where they started and number of goals scored while they were on the park.

Kyogo
    Total 30 starts, 2261 mins 65 goals
    Domestic. 22 starts. 1621 mins. 49 goals
    Europe. 8.stars. 640 mins. 16 goals

Giakoumakis
    Total. 15 starts. 1168 mins. 28 goals
    Domestic. 14 starts. 1085 mins. 28 goals
    Europe. 1 start. 77 mins. 0 goals

So if taking it per 90 mins

Kyogo. 25 games. 65 goals = 2.6 goals/90
    GG. 13 games. 28 goals = 2.15 goals/90

craigtheceltic and Lupis like this.
  12. celtic warrior

Wait are these stats suggest when Kyogo is playing the team is scored 65 goals in 25 90 minutes worth of games?

13. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Nicked it off of Zander Clark of St Johnstone in the 7-0 last season. He did it after one of O’Riley’s goals - his first, I think (fifth of the day the keeper had let in at that point).

14. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Team has scored 65 goals in games he's started and time he's been on the pitch. Which is equivalent to 25 full 90 mins. Although generally he only plays 60 - 65 mins

15. celtic warrior

Generally though it's an interesting take on the matter.

If he can stay injury free and in general good form...the squad as a whole is looking like it seriously benefits having him on the pitch which is showing why even he is getting more game time over Giakoumakis

craigtheceltic and Ryanm1984 like this.
  16. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    The worry for me still is if he gets injured and Giakoumakis isn't quite up to speed. It's early days in the season so everyone is all close to same level fitness wise but strikers need games to keep themselves sharp and longer it goes with GG only getting 20 - 30 mins at most eventually he's gonna lose bit of sharpness and we may not be able to afford 2 or 3 games for him to get back up to speed.
    Confidence wise also worry about impact it will have knowing he's not 1st choice which will becoming more evident with the more times hes on the bench.

Seen it before with strikers in similar position. Scepovic and Griffiths being 2 that come to mind.

Stats with Kyogo starting are better but show theres not too much of a drop off to GG so wee bit more rotation wouldnt hurt imo

17. GavCFC1

18. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Having both him and Kyogo available is fantastic. This is the quality depth that we were striving for 12 months ago.

19. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    As I’ve said it’s a great problem to have.

The thing about what you wrote though, is Kyogo hasn’t put a foot wrong and doesn’t deserve to be dropped from the team. That’s where I’m coming from. If he had been average in Europe, I’d say sure, give GG a go, but he hasn’t.

The post 2 below yours, shows we average 2 goals a game while he’s on the pitch in Europe. They are excellent stats. As you rightly said, we don’t really know what GG is capable of in Europe, but what a fantastic sub to have, a hungry striker to come on with 25-30’ to go, when our starting striker/team has 2 goals on the board.

I just don’t see the need to change what is working. What happens if after giving GG a few starts in Europe it’s not successful? Imagine the criticism Ange would come under if we went back to Kyogo and it clicks again. It would be brutal.

20. jambo_cfc

wouldn’t be surprised if that club was Everton or Southampton , Everton desperate for a striker and Southampton have a history of our league.