1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Giorgos Giakoumakis

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Giorgos Giakoumakis in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    We will see more of him when we start playing 2 games a week. At the moment he is still getting 30 minutes which should keep him sharp enough.

Liam Scales likes this.
  2. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Honestly think Ange needs to start him in Europe this season and have Kyogo come off the bench.

He bullies players, gets on crosses and holds up the play fantastic.

3. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    You do know that other managers can adapt their systems and alter their tactics yeah?

Huns got better of us in semi and should have beaten us in last league game. The midget has figured out how to play against our system. Well either that or its fact we are too easy for them to play against defensively without physical presence up top

4. EddieBhoy1986

Yes I am aware of that thank you for asking.

5. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think he offers us a little more in front of goal than Kyogo at the moment, I know that’s daft considering Kyogo scored today too, but I just feel like he gets into the game more

The_Bhoy likes this.
  6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Figured us out aye?

Semi they were definitely better than us and yet we were a Carter-Vickers open goal miss away from going 2 up and sealing the game with 15 or so to go..

People can say excuses but we were a side who'd been run in to the ground last season by Ange and his style of never stopping and you could see it had taken it's toll a bit. Guy's like Hatate were publicly saying how knackered they were and other's looked it. Kyogo was just back and wasn't really fit either and Jackie was out..

The league game they started better, we went infront and * knows how we didn't win the game in the 45 as we battered them and missed at least 2 easy, open goal like chances. Another game where they came in to it and we looked tired towards the end..

Did Ange have the midgets number when we smashed them ay Celtic Park and went to their's to seal the league with minimal fuss sweeping everything up and creating loads of good chances in that game?

Basically * them to go top
    Won the league at their ground
    Got beat in extra time in a cup semi deservedly so
    Drew at home which rubber stamped the title

Lol..

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Agreed..

Kyogo is excellent infront of goal as well and offers more in the link up outside....or used to more often.....but Jackie is the deadliest striker in the league. A proper poacher. The amount of natural one touch finishes tells you that..

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Aye we were a CCV goal away from being 2 up and potentially winning the game but I'm pretty sure it was the only other chance we created the whole game.

Yep maeda shat it in league game to put us out of site in that game too but they should have won it late on.

Can talk about tiredness all you like but we got * run over in extra time by a team that had played 120 mins 3 days before.

We beat them 3 - 0 and 2-1 because we are a far better team than them but problem with only playing 1 way makes it very easy for even average managers and average players to work on a system to stop it.

Bodo/glimt arnt a better team than us but they knew how to play against us and embarrassed us at home.....incidentally another game where GG didn't start.

We struggle when teams press us high, we've seen that this year. GG gives us option to play over the press.

Liam Scales, gazb1888 and Taylor1 like this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    They had more depth than us last year though..

It might no have been real quality but they had a lot more to call on off the bench. We had Kyogo out for 4 month's. Jackie who didn't have a pre season, couldn't get started and then got injured. Hatate just off the back of a full season and straight in here. Abada a young winger who had given us a lot but was then struggling in other game's..

McGregor who we had to rush back with a mask because we had no real option's..

We didn't have a left back other than Taylor..

You can say excuses about tiredness and I you do make some valid point's....but we had a small, core group who went to the well last year for Ange and his style...which was all about running over the top of the opponents with a high intensity, pressing game. 5 up and still demanding the player's take quick goal kicks. Throw ins. Corners. It takes it toll, physically and mentally and I do think that's what we saw a bit of in those game's towards the end. Just wanting it over.....as well as the huns being decent on the day..

This pre season practically our whole team have been in since day one, no hectic qualifiers and assembling a side towards the last day of the window and dropping point's all over the shop earlier door's..

By all account's his side's have always been better in to the second season when they've been fitter and completely used to the demands and what he wants. We should be much better equipped to deal with a long season with our depth now. Last year there were so many game's we were blowing by half time/the hour mark. We didn't have much to call on..

He does need to find some sort of tweaks for Europe. He did it when we beat the huns at their's by playing deeper and more on the counter and it worked quite easily..

We'll soon find out. We're in good shape domestically at the very least though..

11. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think Ange has to change it for the Hun game, as I agree and think the last two
    games against them showed they had twigged to a certain extent how to spring our 4-3-3 system.They are very strong in midfield with Jack, Lundsrom and Tillman, and they have depth on the bench to supplement it too. It is no co-incidence that GG did not start either game.Note to self. I think Ange is trying to get sufficient minutes into Mooy's legs before the Hun game.Whether that will be enough in time,I don't know.
    But I am still concerned we could get overrun in midfield again, and definitely feel we need another DM signed who is match fit and ready to go, before that all important game.

12. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Major factor is as we know they get away with murder against us.
    That * lump Lundstrum just stomps about booting everything he likes without punishment.

Kyogo is a phenomenal player but playing someone of his size against 2 big physical cbs like goldson n bassey is tough enough but when they also get free reign to kick * out of him then it's an almost impossible task.

Whatever way you look at it and whatever spin u put on it the fact is our best 2 results and best 2 performances against them came with GG up top.

gazb1888 and Taylor1 like this.
  13. Foley1888

I do worry a bit about the midfield as we sometimes struggle to stop someone with a bit of pace and power running through us even if they are average players.

However in the 2-1 and 1-1 games we should have had those two games buried by getting in behind what they were doing but for poor finishing and decision making in the final third we could have won both those games comfortably.

The cup semi was different we were really poor that day but still had good situations where we made really poor decisions across the front three and I do think we missed GG that day given Kyogo wasn’t fit.

The other thing that may play into GG’s favour is who they play at CB as the Livi striker gave them a hard time the other week and Davies they have brought in isn’t very physical either.

Taylor1 likes this.
  14. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    I think if CCV scored to make it 2 - 0 and of Maeda did likewise in league game we would have seen similar tactics to the 2nd halfs of the previous 2 game where we sat back and looked to hit them on the break and we would have comfortable have seen out both games.

There is a plan B and a plan for Europe..... It just involves us blowing teams away in 1st 45 and getting 2 up

Taylor1 likes this.
  15. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don't think we were winning the Cup Semi what ever we were doing. Madden made sure of that.
    Welsh didn't help by * up either. We might just have won it in penalties bar for that.
    The fact they don't have Bassey and Aribo this year plays into our hands.

16. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    If CCV scores we are 2 up with half an hour or so to go. They wouldn't have came back from that even with madden playing upfront.

Aye Davis definitely not as physical as Bassey and soutar is * and will probably be injured anyway

Taylor1 likes this.
  17. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Don't like to hit this thread with negativity after a great day and i'm not * on GG by any means as I really rate the guy but there is a bit of a myth growing that he's been excellent everytime he's played the huns and he's the definite answer to those particular games. He was superb in the 3-0 game, absolutely ragdolling Goldson and Bassey and could have had a hat trick but he was ineffective in the win at Ibrox (and away to Bodo btw). Equally I thought Kyogo caused the huns all sorts of bother when moved into the middle in the first derby of the season but admittedly he was also ineffective in the semi-final and at Celtic Park. Yet he's troubled better individual cb's than Goldson/Davies/Soutar.

It's a difficult one to call and we'll get a better picture of how both stack up against them (and top sides in Europe) this season but it's a bit more of a nuanced situation than just saying play GG cos he's the bigger guy.

But that's the beauty of having these two strikers. Horses for courses depending on the way a game unfolds.

Fontaine likes this.
  18. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Not here to * on GG, but this thought process of GG being better suited in Europe is revisionist history *.

We were the 2nd(might be 3rd) highest goal scorer in the group stages of the Europa League with a line lead by Kyogo. To want to punt him to give GG a go is one thing, but to say GG is better suited to Europe is false.

For those who like stats: Europa group 5 games 2 goals 3 assists.

European qualifying: 4 games 3 goals.

Others have mentioned how we were outplayed by Bodo, but we had more shots at goal than them and more possession. What many also fail to mention was Kyogo didn’t play any of these games, yet GG appeared in both.

Can we not just accept we have 2 really good strikers and both will get opportunities throughout the season?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Champions League is a different level though, Europa we expect to have more of the ball and more space to play him into. CL we’re not going to have most of the ball you would think and ball retention up top will be crucial.

Personally though, I don’t have a * clue what one I’d start, both in Europe and domestically

20. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    100% it’s a different level, but we can only go on what we’ve seen, and that is Kyogo is effective at the levels we’ve played at in Europe, so don’t write him off(not saying you are).

Great problem to have not knowing who to start.

Liam Scales likes this.