1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic in Europe in 22-23 Season

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Bhoyyo, Apr 13, 2022.

Discuss Celtic in Europe in 22-23 Season in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. celtic20

* * didn't realise the draw was so soon! Makes sense though. Can't wait for this to see what heavyweights are coming to Parkhead. Would love a big win or 2 this season.

3. stevoEOS

Was that goal from Henrik not against Blackburn en route to Seville and not in the CL?

King of Kings likes this.
  4. Keano88

That Dundee Utd game has got me right in the mood for CL fitba :fear:

As long as we go down fighting I’ll be alright with a couple of 6-4’s and 5-3’s.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    That goal they showed was against Porto.

King of Kings likes this.
  6. stevoEOS

Ah, good spot, was racking my brains & couldn’t think. Cheers

Mr Shelby likes this.
  7. KirkyCelt

Sorry to bring the mood down guys but I'm apprehensive about the Champions League. I just don't see what's changed since the Bodo game, we've not strengthened our first 11 in the transfer window, and I don't see any signs of a different tactical approach from Ange. Our midfield is still far too lightweight and defensively we're still too vulnerable. If we had brought in a promising defensive mid to tweak our 433 to help our two center backs then I would be happier. If we continue with McGregor in the holding position and go with the inverted wingbacks then I fear we will end up being the Dundee Utd of the champions League.

8. celtic warrior

The way as well the pots are looking...if just 1 time, just 1 that's all, we finally get a reasonable draw.

There is every chance we could see big names drop out for last 16 if there is any upsets.

Obviously there is so many connotations that could happen.

But if Real Madrid Liverpool and Dortmund could be one.

PSG Barca Inter in another

Man City atletico Napoli in the next

AC Milan Spurs and Leverkusen

Bayern Chelsea Shaktar

Depending on what teams make it through into pot 4...there could be some scalps that fall out of the competition early on.

Then like I say, whilst it serves no guarantee and arguably just adds a huge amount of pressure from fans, we luck out and potentially get Frankfurt, Sevilla and Salzburg we could stand a chance of maybe actually doing something in the tournament.

This is why I need this draw to * hurry up...because to me it feels like the clubs are more spread across pots which could lead to an unusual amount of early exits compared to previous years.

If we can just have 1 good group for change, the chances are the rest are filled with insane match ups that come last 16 teams like Barca, Chelsea, Atletico, Liverpool*, Spurs** could all get papped out in groups.

*most unlikely really
    **just because - * facing a Conte side in knock football thank you.

Obviously all dumb wishful thinking as no doubt we will get Real Madrid, Liverpool and Inter but I really desperately want to see Ange create an immortal legacy at the club so badly

9. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    A home win or two would be great. To be honest, any points in this tournament is a bonus. A lot of teams have just gone up a few more levels since we were last involved.

10. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    That Video!! :Kyogo::57::party048:

celtic warrior likes this.
  11. celtic warrior

Yeah can't explain it...but it has gotten me pumped up for the * tournament to start.

Just hope for once we get a good group we could maybe have some slither of hope of getting out of.

Moore likes this.
  12. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Dont want to be negative, but im afraid we will get quite some bad pumpings. But you never know! Still very much looking forward to it.

13. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    shitebag.

14. celtic warrior

I do wonder as well if might not see any more meaningful transfer action until the draw?

Like obviously, the draw shouldn't really be dictating the quality of player we go out and seek as the whole point for us now is that we are actually in the group stages regardless, but if we are supposedly still active I do wonder if we will only see more movement once the group is decided seeing how there would still be 6 days roughly left of the window

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Got to admit, while I’m looking forward to it massively, I’m kinda nervous about it.

We’ve not done ourselves justice in Europe as a whole in recent years, and the Bodo game does give me the fear a bit. I don’t doubt that we can hurt teams going forward, but unless we can find a way to shore things up defensively at the highest level, we’ll always struggle to get points on the board.

16. celtic warrior

I'm hoping we might see just one or two extra faces come in that shore up a more defensive side to our midfield...hopefully.

It's unlikely to happen because of the group we will no doubt get but I'm also hoping that it then helps us get close to the kind of days under MON and WGS where Parkhead was still such fortress for the best teams to play at but ifnthe group draw is kind to us just this 1 time I'd hope for 2 wins and draw at home then maybe 1 win and two losses away.

But in all honesty I don't think we will be anywhere near 10 points and in fact, it's more realistic that we end up with 2 points at absolute beat if we get the type of group we normally get in CL.

It's why I'm all over the place with this...deep down I don't think it's right for any fan to expect us to show progress in Europe when it's likely we could end up with a group which consists of last year's finalists and then any of the pot 3 teams like Dortmund, Inter, Napoli, Leverkusen.

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I'm definitely nervous and I do agree with some points above that we haven't overly addressed some of the issues (personnel wise only) that caused us issues in Europe last season. Time will tell from a tactical perspective.

It's become quite a buzzword but I really do feel we need that defensive mid option in there. The lack of pace and strength in the midfield is still an issue for me, as we won't win the day from a technical perspective the vast majority of the time..

We really need to show something this season in Europe. Whether it's the UCL or eventually into the Europa.

Wllm likes this.
  18. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    We will have our best season in Europe for a good few years. Come on !!!!:ynwacelti

19. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Will be happy if we get 3rd tbh. Just hoping for respectable scores with our style of defending.

20. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Amazing video that.