1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Aaron Mooy

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jul 19, 2022.

Discuss Aaron Mooy in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dip 'n' Swerve

he looked fine on the ball, not wasteful - plays and moves keeps it simple and he can be effective in dead ball situations - mature player in keys times within the game, not sure about his mobility or speed over 15 yards but i think he is a good addition. a squad to compete is key - the subs on sat made the difference but ange knows the craic we cannot rely on thinking we will always get chances in games - be clinical and try and get that key 2-0 lead in games. some of the football was great to watch and hopefully for once before christmas we can build up a good 4+ cushion in the league and looking forward to see what mouth watering CL group we get

2. JamesM09

I’m looking forward to seeing him when he’s firing on all cylinders. I just hope he gets to that point.

I think it could be a bit like Joe Hart’s return to form.

3. Mr Cleansheets

Some of us will tell you he's never been out of form... despite being out of fitness.

We'll see. He is almost 32 and plays in a demanding position. I've no doubt he'll be brilliant in the SPL but the CL will test him. But as I keep saying, he could be valuable in the CL simply because of his ability to keep the ball. If we're protecting a lead or a point with ten to go, he'll come on and simply deny the other team possession. The clock will tick...

The big Viduka and JamesM09 like this.
  4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He is clearly attempting to shift Ajeti, let’s not act thick for the sake of a point.

I like McCarthy personally and glad he signed, he’s not played as much as he would have wanted but he is not a ‘terrible signing’.

5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He might also be clearly attempting to shift McCarthy.

You can't have it both ways ffs:56:

AussieGreek and gary88 like this.
  6. celtic warrior

Personally think he will be of more use than McCarthy.

Still not sure he's the type of profile we needed but at the end of it all...he's in our colours now, so I'll support him for now.

Just makes me miss Rogic more which is no fault of Mooy.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  7. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

Until we learn that Aaron Mooy makes Jota laugh, McCarthy is the super signing and that's the end of it :fear:

8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He will be of more use than Mccarthy but that's not exactly difficult.

My main issue with Mooy is that he doesn't fit the profile for what we are missing in midfield. Pace, energy and strength.

I don't doubt his footballing ability and he will be an able deputy to McGregor when required but the one thing the vast majority of us agreed was/is missing from our midfield options is some brute strength and pace, someone to really annoy and get in the face of better players on the continent and crucially someone who won't be towing a caravan trying to get back.

I don't think Mooy removes anyone from our starting XI, he improves the squad depth certainly but I still feel we need more.

If Mccarthy goes then I'd suspect another midfielder will arrive. Ideguchi isn't the answer either.

rudebhoy67 likes this.
  9. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I reckon we could get rid of McCarthy and not even notice he was gone in all honesty.

Just a bizarre one all round. Mooy can’t fail to be an upgrade really.

MAP and Mr Shelby like this.
  10. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Being slow wasn't really the reason pirlo never made it in the spl.

It was probably more to do with the fact he was a 6 x serie a winner, 3x serie a player of the year, 2x champions league winner, 2x champions league runner up, European championships runner up, world cup winner, an elite level player and argueably the single best passer of a ball and reader of a game of his generation.

All that pretty much kept him out of our price range here in the spl, even for those who used EBTs, and pretty much off our collective radars. :86:

MAP likes this.
  11. Dip 'n' Swerve

32 lol sign him into the old people's home... zola, bergkamp - if he is a model professional he could play for a good few years yet, the older pros seem to be more astute than running about like headers getting dragged out of their position. I think he will be ok, in terms of CL it is a test for all our players, I think we will be against the wall for the top seeds and realistically it will be fight out to come third and get some europa football in the new year, I would be content with that tbf but a few celtic park shocks are always welcome.

He will do more in 5 x games than mc carthy has offered to date.
    We still need a midfield physical enforcer to win headers, break up play and be a nuisance etc - box to box type think wanyama, is this the type of player wants who knows but we need it.

mooy seems to fit in quite well when he came on which is good to see, can take weight off mc gregor at times etc.

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He might be, yeah, but who’s been getting minutes?

13. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Looked comfortable when he came on.

14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Again he just kept it simple, nothing spectacular, but that aint a bad thing.

15. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Neat and tidy

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  16. Sgt Neppers*

Starting to see him getting in to decent positions, play a few decent balls around. As stated above, neat and tidy and moving in the right direction.

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    General don't remember anything apart from maybe him moving it a bit quicker than he did last time..

18. Kiro Kompiro

Well positioned. Didn't lose the ball once. Didn't miss a pass once. Started the move for one goal.

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Most of us could do what he's done in a Celtic shirt so far. Needs to start showing why we signed him and be the player we know he can be. Ange certainly rates him as he keeps giving him minutes despite looking a lot less fit than the rest of the squad.

20. Keano88

I thought he looked better in his cameo today, obviously the game was done and we were in cruise control at that point but still.

martin_d likes this.