1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Controversial Celtic opinions

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by HTG, Jun 16, 2022.

Discuss Controversial Celtic opinions in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    Announcer needs to play Celtic symphony just before the players come n the pitch, just saying:smoke:

Liam Scales likes this.
  2. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    The atmosphere was peaking at kick off, but it stayed up there. I watched the replay of it yesterday and it’s spine tingling that first half. Think it was part of the reason the huns shat it in the first half.

3. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Can't disagree mate, last two I was at were Copenhagen and Valencia which were both horrendous performances. Even first half of those games at 0-0 though the place was flat bar the standing section.

Might be a bit rich of me to criticise the fans in the ground when I'm not a ST holder and mostly those around me at a game are, but it's a big occasion for me to get to any game, let alone a European one - so I'm wanting to belt out songs for 90 minutes straight when I'm there. Obviously that novelty is gone for the majority of fans who get to every game.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    Liam Scales and Mr Shelby like this.
  4. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Love Fields of Athenry. Definitely an underused song of ours.

NomDePlum likes this.
  5. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You've just outdone all your good work in other threads Craig. Sit the * doon.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  6. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    :ange:

Double Dutch likes this.
  7. MAP

Just between you and I ... I was worried I might have overstepped the mark! :redcard:

8. Dallas Cowbhoys

Apart from the real top tier bigoted scumbags, I actually prefer talking about Scottish football with Huns rather than English people.

I prefer to listen to “Larsson was quality but Laudrup was better” than “Larsson couldn’t have been that good otherwise why was he at Celtic?”

Liam Scales likes this.
  9. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Agreed

Liam Scales likes this.
  10. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

I know you are just saying it hypothetically but there is no way that Laudrup was better than Larsson.

11. Northerner Ave Maria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Part of the charm for me. I much prefer it to the ultras type chants that are sung constantly nowadays.

67 in the heat of Lisbon, We're Glasgow Celtic, We love you, we love you, we love you, etc. are all quite pish. Benign songs that could be moulded to any other team.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  12. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    The atmosphere in Europe has definitely taken a nose dive, but I think it's largely because the last 4-5 years it's been all Europa League.

That might be a big competition for the Klan as they are always delighted to just be there, but for us it was always the deflation of not being in the CL. For me, being in the EL every season has always been a reminder of failure. I think many others feel this too.

I can honestly say I've never felt a buzz for any Europa game in the past 5 years. The closest would have been Lazio but even then nothing like I would have felt if it was a CL game.

The last time we were in the CL we created an incredible atmosphere v Man City. In fairness, it does help that it was a thrilling game and we managed to get a respectable result. Similarly v Bayern in 2017. The German media described the stadium and atmosphere as "belonging to football's aristocracy". It's just a shame we didn't get the win after we equalised at 1-1.

Which leads me to another controversial opinion... I think we're going to get humiliated in the group stages this season. Even with a few signings I still see us getting whacked by the number 1 and 2 pot sides away and probably at Parkhead too. My main ambition is that we don't finish with lower than 3 points. It's going to be a real uphill struggle.

AdamRS likes this.
  13. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Who doesn't adore a North Dublin brogue :oops:

* Vernon Dursley sticker *

Callum McGregor likes this.
  14. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Can say that for most football chants tbf

Northerner and Valhalla like this.
  15. Northerner Ave Maria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Why I prefer rebs

16. Mr Cleansheets

Muscat (super * though he be) has followed Ange twice - Victory and Yokohama - and has arguably done just as well, if not better, than Ange at those places.

Would Celtic accept a former rabid hun who was so violent he was never allowed to play in a Glasgow Derby for fear of getting red carded... as Ange's successor... if he was guaranteed to bring even more success than Ange?

Absolutely not.

Liam Scales likes this.
  17. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    This thread IS NOT as good as the Other Controversial opinions thread. Sorry!

Mince.Charming and Liam Scales like this.
  18. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

I think UEFA made it so that songs couldn’t be played when the players were already out or something, it was years ago I heard that though so could be *

19. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    This is probably bordering on controversial, but as much progress we've made under Ange, I still think we're miles off where we need to be.

This isn't a slight on Ange in the slightest, but I want us to start aiming higher than domestic trophies. Winning the league is always fantastic, but I'd love to see us make a proper dent in Europe. I'd love to see us make similar progress to teams like Ajax, RB Salzburg etc. *, I'd like us to just win a European knockout game.

We might never see this kind of progress whilst Dermot Desmond is around.

20. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Yeah it’s embarrassing how long it’s been since we’ve won a knockout game in Europe.

neilly1987 likes this.