1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Anthony Ralston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CalgaryBhoy, May 12, 2016.

Discuss Anthony Ralston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    That’s a phrase I’ve used for him for a couple of years, not saying he’s anywhere near them but stick him in with Pep’s Barca next to Xavi and Iniesta he wouldn’t stick out of place.

Probably the opposite, would look utterly world class because of them.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Taylor’s call ups were always something that would get slated, up until the end of this season. I found it more understandable because he’s a squad guy down the list he knows will do exactly what he wants him to do if he needed to play. O’Donnell was different in that case, because he played as first choice whilst not deserving of it, and he was even second choice whilst not deserving of it.

I’m not sure about the EPL snob stuff either, he played O’Donnell instead of Fraser at RWB.

3. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What a season he's had.

Just as we all expected :fear:

Rydo1888* and Liam Scales like this.
  4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just imagine what we could have done if Ange listened to the fans and played the ‘clearly better’ Lee O’Connor instead.

NomDePlum likes this.
  5. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Mad that he wasn't that highly rated in his loan spells then comes back and turns in a season like he has.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Ralston was 100% available for Ukraine. Him not being available at all, start or bench, is all on Clarke

FranceCelt and G_portillo like this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I think so as well mate but it’s the only explanation for why the * he would do that.

9. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    He was fantastic tonight, done himself proud.

Liam Scales likes this.
  10. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I agree, decision to play Hickey out of position and ahead of him was bemusing.
    I feel as if Clarke has a wee bit of Strachan about him in that he can be stubborn in the players he picks when there might be what most would see as a better option.

NomDePlum and Liam Scales like this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hickey has played there a good few times this season in Serie A.

However he doesn’t suit the style of what Clarke wants out of a wingback. Bad decision, but no really out of position.

WGS comparison is spot on though.

12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Delighted for him...

13. Al Bootyerbaws

Ralston’s comeback from where he was til now is mental. Deserves every bit of praise coming to him.

14. celtic warrior

It's madness that, instead of having an 11 with a natural balance. Clarke would have opted against using the likes of Robertson, Ralston, (* I can't believe I'm saying this) Hendry, Souttar or even McKenna and McTominay all in their natural positions against Ukraine.

Instead he plays about 3 or 4 out of position with what looks like on paper 3 at the back.

Pinch of salt as it was Armenia but just goes to show if you play to players strengths and put them in their correct position, shock horror, you win games of football.

I'm in disbelief with Ralston though...which is entirely on me because I still think we can do much better then him for RB. But game after game, he makes that an opinion more difficult to hold...especially as I'm saying this now when a season has just finished and you could argue his form has helped in regaining the league back.

15. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Who from Scotland is a better RB than Ralston? There isn't one, simple as. Patterson is not there, he could end up an alright player but he isn't just now, O'Donnell is pish and that was just Clarke's loyalty to players that kept him in. Ramsey at Aberdeen could be the business but he's still just learning the game

We have many good LB's but there's no other right back even close to Ralston right now, he's come out of nowhere after pretty much everyone had written him off, myself included, but right now deserves every plaudit, I wouldn't even say he's 2nd to Juranovic I have them as equals that are both a bit different in the same position

Tommy25 and BelfastBhoy74 like this.
  16. celtic warrior

For Scotland he's absolutely the best RB around without a shadow of a doubt.

Tommy25 and Can'tbehooped like this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Wednesday, June 8, 2022. It will be a date etched into the memory of Anthony Ralston for the rest of his days.

Having earned his first cap for Scotland as a substitute in a World Cup qualifier in late 2021 over Denmark, finally, the right-back was awarded for his outstanding form for Celtic by gaining his first start in a Nations League match over Armenia at Hampden Park.

He was joined in the starting line-up by another fellow Celt in Callum McGregor, who was fresh from scoring for his country in Scotland’s previous match, the World Cup play-off with Ukraine.

The 23-year-old decided to join his club captain in scoring at the National Stadium in his country's colours, doing so by netting a brilliant header to put Steve Clarke’s side 1-0 up in what turned out to be a 2-0 win.

The goal meant the full-back became the first Celtic player to score on his full debut since Charlie Nicholas, who did so all the way back in 1983, netting in a 2-2 draw with Switzerland.

Ralston topped off the magical night after winning three points by also picking up the Man of the Match award, another sign of the remarkable progress he has made for club and country over the last 12 months.

David Turnbull was also in the squad but didn't make it off the bench, while Greg Taylor missed out on the substitutes' list despite being called up to the Scotland camp.

Tommy25 likes this.
  18. BelfastBhoy74

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    Like so many others Ralston was an after thought to me, but now.....
    • He is without doubt the best Scottish option in the right back position. No questions
    • He is keeping a Croatian international on his toes at club level
    On a personal level I hope he continues to develop, where I will accept that Juranovic is the better all round player, I love seeing Ralston in the team, the bit of bite and anger that he brings is in short supply in our current squad....

Tommy25 likes this.
  19. davidhannah

Absolutely phenomenal player. He's a star.

I'm honoured to say we have him at Celtic. My first choice right back for Scotland. It comes as no surprise to me he scored the winner on his debut. His attitude inspired the entire Scotland team. By comparison Captain Andy Robertson was yards off it - understandable. Had Ralston played against Ukraine there's no doubt in my mind that Scotland would have got through. Genuinely.

McGreagor as well should captain the Scotland team. The difference in attitude between the Celtic boys and some of the others the other night was there for all to see.

We're so lucky to have him. Blood. Guts and with a tremendous right foot. Ralston can cross. He can cross a ball on parity with Robertson on the right.

Even when he went down bloodied with the head knock. He picked himself right up again and showed no fear. I'd play him against Ireland. And away to Armenia.

9 points beckons for Scotland. I never wanted to go to the desert anyway. A blessing in disguise. A country with bars drier than a camel's lips! Hampden was electric last night.

The fans were there in numbers. Scotland is on the rise. Old and New. Rising to be a footballing nation again.

20. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Good to see him getting the praise he deserves. Stick on for the next game surely to *.