1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Fuel prices *uck

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Dalbeth3, Jun 7, 2022.

Discuss Fuel prices *uck in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.

2. Onefootwonder

What car are you driving?

There might be a few exceptions, but most people I know are seeing little or no difference. I know there is others claiming their economy has halved, but they aren't reliable. :giggle1:

If you're seeing 4mpg less maybe try a few tanks of Tesco Momentum. It's more expensive, but if your car doesn't like E10 it could pay for itself. You might see better economy than before.

I'd also say Millers Eco Max helps. I've used this in a few cars and they run better and return better MPG as they claim. It is a couple of quid a tank, but pays for itself.

Driving style helps too. There is good gains to be made with smooth driving and reading the road ahead.

3. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    Got a costco card and fill up whenever I'm in Glasgow. 1.77 for premium diesel and you get a 2nd name on the card.

£25 a year membership and easily pays for itself.

4. honda Gold Member Gold Member

If your in Edinburgh you don't need a membership, the sainsbury next door matches costcos price ;)

Bernie Bhoy and MickeyyMack like this.
  5. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Fuel prices go up like a rocket and down like a feather. 168.7 cheapest petrol where I am. 181.7 diesel.

Seen 198.7 for diesel, truly shocking and adds to the misery being felt by hard working people coupled with food and energy prices. The UK is *.

Conjuring_Obey likes this.
  6. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    There seems to be a few wildly inaccurate claims posted about the cost of fuel and profiteering perhaps this will help, especially the bolded part -

Fuel prices continue to rocket, and the RAC warns that drivers will pay an average £2 a litre.

Pump prices have reached new highs with drivers paying 178.5p a litre for petrol on Monday, while diesel drivers paid 185.2p a litre.

This takes the cost of filling up a 55-litre family car to £98, while the cost of a tank for diesel drivers has reached £101.86.

But the RAC warns that as analysts are predicting oil will average $135 a barrel for the rest of this year, “drivers need to brace themselves for average fuel prices rocketing to £2 a litre which would mean a fill-up would rise to an unbelievable £110”.

Simon Williams, spokesperson for the RAC, added: “The oil price is rising due to increased demand for fuel across the world as China eases its Covid restrictions and America and Europe go into the peak summer driving season. All this combined with a weaker pound at $1.2 means wholesale fuel costs more for retailers to buy. The wholesale price of diesel is fast approaching 160p a litre which, when you add 7p retailer margin and 20% VAT, would take the pump price over the £2 mark.

“We strongly urge the government to take drastic action to help soften the impact for drivers from these never-before-seen pump prices.”

https://www.yourmoney.com/household-bills/drivers-braced-for-new-normal-of-2-a-litre-for-fuel/

7. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Went full electric rapid charge point round corner from me is free for time being not paid for fuel in 3 months what am saving helps pay towards the new car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Oil price today is $119 a barrel & petrol is £2/litre. In June 2008 it was $133 a barrel & petrol was £1.19/litre , The Government are talking the * something doesn’t add up.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    Lecs, Sgt Neppers*, Dalbeth3 and 3 others like this.
  9. celtic warrior

I know it's not as simple as what I'm suggesting but I'd have to imagine as well...with the cost of fuel, even if transport companies maybe get a little better price...could see it also effect cost of public transport overall in major cities.

Dread to think what filling a double decker bus would cost and then operators not looking at increasing prices themselves.

For those really hard up...it looks like it's getting to a point that if you can't get there and back within a fair walking distance. You are stuck at home.

10. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

It isn't £2 yet.
    The exchange rate will be making the difference now then, just as the article points out.
    The one thing that has no bearing on the price is some kind of conspiracy, no matter what karen on facebook claims.

11. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Yet …. Petrol prices have already hit £2 per litre in certain parts of the country so I don’t know why you assume it’s not £2 yet? It’s certainly not a conspiracy far from it £2 will be the price before the summer ends maybe before this month ends in a lot of other places now that certain * are flogging it at those prices , your average price for petrol hit its highest daily jump in 17 years yesterday jumping by 2.23p per litre , 1.5p per litre for Diesel Asda alone hiked its prices by 5p per litre in a single day other supermarkets will soon follow as Asda has been known to be the cheaper ie trendsetter , price fixer.
    As I said to begin with cost of wholesale petrol unexpectedly dropped around 5p a litre on Tuesday yet the Jump for your average consumer is the highest in 17 years which my original tweet was pointing at.

12. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Im not talking about individual petrol stations, we are talking about the average cost, is the most obvious thing Id say which is and was pretty clear. Yes indeed it will hit £2, average - the article tells us that -, and no doubt in some instances individual stations will be even higher as is the case already.
    As the article has shown there are reasons for it, simple as that. I cant make it any simpler tbh.

If folk want to echo karen fae facebook fine but its not A conspiracy/mass profiteering.
    When you trade a commodity the price varies daily, hour to hour. The price, both long and short term, is often expected and that is what usually happens most of the time. However, every so often, there is a hike or slump in a price that was unexpected this happens for a whole host of innocuous reasons - currency exchanges rates fall/rise, supply demand, war, fire in a distribution centre etc etc can all cause knock on effects on a seemingly unrelated commodity but nothing to do with a conspiracy/profiteering.

13. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Anyone heard from any politician of note condemning these prices?

A few months or so ago I was around £100 to fill up and the other night I was £145!!!! (Albeit the greedy guzzler was damned near empty, but even so)

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Is there any you’d actually care to note or are they all just an indistinguishable mess of Eton silver spooned *?

15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    198 when I filled up two days ago, close enough to calling it £2, if not already.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

littlekennie and MickeyyMack like this.
  16. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2022/may/13/oil-gas-producers-first-quarter-2022-profits
    Suggesting that oil companies are ripping us off and profiteering is hardly a conspiracy theory mate. They could easily absorb some of the increased commodity prices but choose not to.

17. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I was including the political losers at Holyrood too, where are those useless plonkers?

littlekennie likes this.
  18. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Think the Scottish government want us to use public transport like trains and ferries mate :fear:

19. Lochlin Mcghee

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of honour
    I stay in Kilmarnock, the big interchange roundabout petrol station are robbing *. You literally drive past each more which could be described as worse fear than waking up in a random bed after a night out finding a size 24 deess on the floor.

20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Guy was literally on radio saying they will be looking into companies who are behaving like cartel and anti competiveness to rise the prices

But yeh right wing * will say it’s a conspiracy and not to believe the Karen’s on Facebook

Pump prices just jumped 5 p this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalbeth3 and honda like this.