1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Jesus

Artorias likes this.
  2. JamesM09

He’s probably talking about Sutton and Hartson.

If I remember correctly, Sutton got a lot of stick for not criticising him until later on.

It kinda sums Lennon’s attitude up that he thinks he shouldn’t be getting stick from pundits because he knows them. It shows his cliquey ‘jobs for the boys’ attitude that he’s so offended by it and feels the need to address it.

3. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Sutton and Hartson went in relatively easy on him. Compared to the way Sutton used to criticise Ronny. I remember before BR was announced Lennon thought he was getting the job again. I'm sure some of our players at the same time were saying the same thing to people

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

DAYS off by the beach, Greek salads on the menu and opposition fans offering a warm welcome to Cyprus.

It’s fair to say Neil Lennon’s life has taken a dramatic turn from his existence in Glasgow’s goldfish bowl.

But no matter what environment the 50-year-old works in, the intense desire for success never changes.

And he's preparing to face his biggest game yet as Omonia Nicosia boss.

They face Anorthosis Famagusta, bossed by ex-Dundee and Newcastlehero Temuri Ketsbaia, below, in the first leg of the Cypriot Cup semis.

And while a dismal defence of their league title saw Omonia sack predecessor Henning Berg, Lennon is determined to make an instant mark with some silverware of his own and securing a Euro spot for next season

The Northern Irishman has had two wins, five draws and a defeat in eight games since joining in March.

He told SunSport: “I’ve seen Anorthosis live two or three times since I came. They’re top five in the league.

“Temuri’s got some talented players. They are the highest-scoring team in the league.

“I’d make them favourites but I’ve got good belief in my team.

“It’s a really competitive league and they really love their football. It’s the No 1 sport by a million miles.

The top teams would be a bit behind Celtic and Rangers, as you’d expect — but you’d put some on a par with Hearts, Dundee United, Hibs.

“It’s my biggest game yet in Cyprus. Omonia have been concentrating more on the cup since the club didn’t make the top six.

“The whole preparation was for the quarter-finals and we negotiated that. Now we’re really focused on the semi-final over two legs.

“I love the whole opportunity here. When you look at what Ange Postecoglou has done at Celtic, I was out of the game and thinking, ‘Why not try something different?’.

“Ange has worked in Australia, Japan and now Scotland.

“I thought, ‘Why not?’ to working abroad. I know it’s not one of the top leagues but it could lead to somewhere if things go well.

“I had options in South Korea, Greece and Turkey.

But I liked the climate in Cyprus, the way the Omonia board came across in the interviews while, of course, it also appealed financially.

“I’ve been here over a month and haven’t regretted a single day. It’s revitalised me.

“Omonia were the champions last year but it’s not been a good season for various reasons. I’ve got a rebuilding job to do.

“Winning the cup would be special, give me as much satisfaction as anything. But I won’t look too far ahead.

We’ve got two games to make a final and that’s a big incentive. I know what it would mean to everyone here to be successful.

“If we don’t win the trophy, the bigger picture is about putting a team together to win back the league next year.”

On his new lifestyle, Larnaca-based Lennon said: “It’s a wonderful place to live. I’ve got an apartment near the beach. There are nice bars and restaurants.

“The climate is very warm, you get the sun all day. The training ground’s good with decent pitches.

“Every day it’s a clear sky and you go to work with a smile on your face.

“In terms of sport, Cyprus is football-dominated. Faith is important too

They’re also quite respectful people — until it comes to football, when they go crackers for 90 minutes.

“On a day off, I’ll go to the gym or go to the beach. I’m into Greek salads now, they’re wonderful.

“I wasn’t sure how I’d adapt to living in a different culture. But I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.

People recognise you in the street but they’re far more respectful than opposition fans would be back home.

“That’s a novelty for me. There’s no abuse at all. I’ve had Anorthosis fans come over to me and say, ‘Hi coach, welcome to Cyprus’.

“Even APOEL fans, who are our biggest rivals, have been sound.”

Wealthy club owner Stavros Papastavrou is in town all week after jetting in from his New York base — and the former Celtic and Hibs boss would love to send him home happy.

Lennon said: “He’s been at training every day, we’ve had dinner and he’s going to stay for the first leg.

He’s a real gentleman, a clever and astute guy. He demands success and he’s been a great support.”

Asked if he now sees his managerial future abroad — with a vacancy back at Easter Road — Lennon added: “You never say never to anything.

“I’m exceptionally happy and right now my whole focus is on this semi-final. I’m excited. I haven’t felt like this for a long time.”

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    AussieGreek likes this.
  5. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    * me. A Neil Lennon interview where he is positive and not blaming everyone else.

Good to hear. Hope that quip about Hibs was made up * though. Last place he needs to be is back in Scotland.

6. AussieGreek

the magic of the Mediterranean sun.

NomDePlum likes this.
  7. Keano88

Gets them EL playoff round and could draw Hearts.

8. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Omonia,know a couple of their fans...solid left wing folk...feels weird that he's their manager now but they seem to love him and the Celtic connection has helped him massively.Good luck to him and them.

leeso-ardoyne likes this.
  9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He can continue to * off, for me, tbh.

10. James Gold Member Gold Member

Buzzing that will get him in the papers talking about us again now wonder who's to blame on this round of interviews

Peej likes this.
  11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Brother Walfrid and Regi Blinker apparently.

James likes this.
  12. dmccourt95

That’ll be him in at Aberdeen by March

13. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Sent to the stands during that cup Game sent the video on WhatsApp looks like that mob don’t miss a thing regarding lennon

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Get that * to * tbf.

Can't be arsed with Lennon but Derek Clark is a disease.

16. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    Bring him home .....

:fear:

17. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Jesus Christ. Not a good look Neil.

18. leeso-ardoyne

Haha go on Lenny Bhoy. You tell that *. Nothing wrong with a bit of passion IMO. The same passion these fannies that now hate you would be creaming in there panties if you had done with us. But now continue to rip ya to piece's over anything. *!

Pogues likes this.
  19. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Thought he had 'mellowed'?

Peej likes this.
  20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song: