1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Title-winning manager Ange Postecoglou has paid homage to the Celtic support.

The Greek-Aussie joined in the celebrations at Celtic Park on Saturday as the champions lifted the Scottish Premiership trophy.

Postecoglou is already revered by the Celticsupporters and the love-in continued following the mauling of Motherwell.

The manager paid tribute to the fans on Australian TV and asked if he could sum up the occasion and if he expected this outpouring of emotion, Postecoglou said: "You keep asking me questions I don’t have answers to, mate. It’s very hard to articulate, to put into words.

"It means so much to the people here. They’re not supporters, they’re not fans. They’re attached to this club. This club is their way of life.

The fixtures come out and they manage their lives around that. How the team performs affects them, affects their mood and how they feel about the week ahead – it’s everything to them.

So to be able to deliver and just see the joy it brings them is incredible.

We’ve done a * of a lot, we’ve achieved a lot but we’re not finished yet. It’s the nature of this club.

"We’re going to roll up here next season and our supporters expect us to be good and successful again. That’s exactly where I want us to be."

Rydo1888*, Noskeil, Wee Baldy and 5 others like this.
  2. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Make that 'shake hands' - did not sound right, did it ?

Peej likes this.
  3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    We're all on the same side bud!

4. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    I thinks the scum are scouting oz for a new manager

kramer1 likes this.
  5. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Excellent interview with Ange at 4:13.

The GG one afterwards is also good. The guy just oozes confidence in himself.

6. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Never thought I'd like a manager more than Lenny during his heyday beating Barca etc. I didn't know there was a man called Ange Postecoglou ♥️

7. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    I know the circumstances were different and Hiddink didn't knock us back after stringing us along for months but Anges appointment instead of Howe does feel a bit similar to us getting MON instead of Hiddink

ApartPidgeon likes this.
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    :giggle1:

9. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Just realised he kept saying unbelievable in his speech :giggle1:

10. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Oz now? Didn't they just get their manager from the chocolate factory? They'll be climbing a beanstalk next.

Twisty likes this.
  11. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    20220516_185751-min.jpg

Opened ma birthday stuff a day early. Got Ange stuff!

12. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    :60:

13. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Class. Book is brilliant, once I'd read I believed we'd win the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Buzzing to get started with it man :34:

Guchi Gucci and AussieGreek like this.
  15. davidhannah

Yokohama success! Big Ange, a winner of the past the present and the future!

No wonder Kyogo is decent. Spent last season playing with teammates David Villa and Lukas Podolski!

Who saw it coming? Not me at all!

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    Wee Baldy likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

ANGE POSTECOGLOU felt like he had suffered a Greek tragedy when AEK Athens snubbed him last May.

Just 12 months on, the Celtic boss couldn’t be happier his “sliding doors” moment led to a fairytale season in Scotland.

Postecoglou opened up on just how close he got to moving to Greece — 24 hours before Celtic made their move.

The Aussie was on the brink of joining AEK, only for them to make a last-ditch U-turn and offer the job to Vladan Milojevic instead.

With Eddie Howe pulling out of the Celtic gig at the 11th hour, Hoops chiefs turned to Postecoglou — and the rest is history.

He said: “AEK was a possibility, almost at the same time as Celtic. It was a sliding doors moment.

“At that time of year clubs are looking for managers and we got really close.

“They went another way and literally a day after that I got a call from Peter Lawwell. I then had a chat with Dermot Desmond and it was done within 24 hours.

“It worked out for the best and I couldn’t be happier. I’m at a big club, with 60,000 people here each week.

“It’s one of the most famous clubs in the world, we will be playing in the Champions League next year and I can win trophies.

“Were those few days a turning point in my life? Yeah, but that’s been my career as a manager. Things have just happened without me really seeking it.

“I have tried to do the best I can in the role I have and, by having success, opportunities come along.”

Milojevic was sacked in October — with AEK turning to THREE managers during the 2021/22 season.

A smiling Postecoglou added: “That isn’t unusual, to be fair. And I was well aware of what I was walking into!

“You try to back yourself in those times and in those situations, but it worked out.”

Former Celts chief executive Lawwell last week revealed Postecoglou had been on his radar for many years.

The Aussie worked with Lawwell’s son Mark, the Hoops’ new recruitment chief, due to Yokohama F. Marinos’ City Group status.

Celtic kept an eye on him in Japan and, when Howe bailed, Postecoglou believes the stars aligned to guide him to Glasgow.

He said: “I wasn’t aware I was on Celtic’s list before that.

“The hard part for me was: How was I ever going to get this side of the world to notice somebody like me, doing his stuff in leagues and countries that Europe will rarely look at?

“It was difficult to see myself on this side of the world. I had brief chats with people but there was still no recognition of what I’d achieved.

“It was going to take the stars to align for me to get an opportunity. I guess the fortunate thing for me was that I was at Yokohama, who had a link with Europe by being part of the City Group.

“Again, fate put its hand in and there was a connection with Peter and Mark, who is now coming to us.

“For someone like me to end up in a job like this, it would have to be some sort of bizarre set of circumstances for it to happen.

“I couldn’t have done any more than I’d done, to be honest. But otherwise I don’t think I’d have got a look-in.”

Postecoglou will now get a holiday with his family, but admits the challenge of turning Celtic into a Champions League force starts now.

He said: “I will get a break. It’s a break in inverted commas, though, as you never stop working.

“But I need to spend time with my family — and I want to.

“I have a responsibility there with two young boys and my wife gets on with real life while I do the fun bits. I want to spend time with them and I do need a break.

“I said during the week that it’s taken every bit of me this season.

“I came from Japan to Celtic and I have done a season and a half without a break. I need to recharge the batteries.

“What I do know is that expectations at Celtic — and my expectations — will be to be better. To do that, I have to be ready to go.”

Celts could face some of Europe’s elite when they return to the group stages of the Champions League in the autumn.

Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and PSG are already secure among the top pot of seeds.

Manchester City or Liverpool will join them on Sunday, with the Reds then facing Real in this season’s final in Paris on Saturday week.

Postecoglou added: “Have I had a look at the list of clubs in the Champions League? Yeah.

“Who do you fancy? You fancy all of them because you know it’s going to be a tough gig whoever you get.

“But it’s where you want to be. It’s where the club wants to be and where I want to be.

“I want us to go into that competition and make an impact. Champions League nights are special at Celtic Park and I can’t wait for them.

17. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I'm not really familiar with the site football365, but I see that they don't mince their words:

"Howe was never a good fit for the club, he wasn’t good enough or strong enough; it would’ve crushed him. Bournemouth and Burnley are no preparation for managing a club the size of Celtic and it’s laughable to think it might have been. So off he went to dip his hands in the blood of the murdered Yemeni dead. That was the measure of the morals of the man Celtic had been trying to recruit."

:giggle1:

https://www.football365.com/news/feature-john-nichlson-whats-so-great-about-celtic-ange-postecoglou

AussieGreek, Wee Baldy and Rydo1888* like this.
  18. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic

This as well, from the same article:

"Here was a coach with a long string of titles to his name, who had a track record of having an almost instant impact at clubs. And that’s what he did at Celtic even though there was the usual outrage from thick pundits who wondered why they’d appointed someone they’d never heard of, instead of someone they had heard of, even though they’d not heard of anyone outside of the UK."

Nice.

19. Mr Cleansheets

Please take Arnie!!!

VT8 and craigtheceltic like this.
  20. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Ange and Celtic will have a busy new season to look forward to, with many game to play in Europe as well as dealing with the domestic league. He will need new players coming in that will be active squad members. Passive squad members will need to move on, their salaries going to the new lads coming on board.

Barkas, Ajeti, Soro, Johnston, need to go to other clubs. Dembele also if he does not see himself at Celtic, even though I like him.

In CL we can't afford to be half-* about it. Hart needs a worthy back up keeper for Europe to avoid injury problems.

We need another RB, and another LB, equal or even better to the men we have now. Why ? Ralston and Juranovic are fine players but do get injured during the season and need a backup. Taylor is not enough solo at LB, we need one more. We can slot JJ at left back also if we need. So 3 possible players at LB to fill the need.

We also need a player in or to be groomed in Calmac's position. It is as clear as day. When Cal is missing, there is no dynamism in our midfield, and no clear leader.