1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Top 5 Title Wins of Your Lifetime

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Morcombe, May 12, 2022.

Discuss Top 5 Title Wins of Your Lifetime in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    As the thread title says what's the 5 best title wins in your opinion of your lifetime.

for me in order achieved are

97/98 - stopping the 10. My first full season as a Celtic supporter (started watching the previous season with the 2-0 win over sevco in the scottish cup being the first memory i have of ever watching celtic), my earliest visit to Celtic Park memory is in this season too, went with my Granda to see a 5-1 thrashing of Dunfermline for my birthday, pretty sure it was my first ever game at Celtic Park too.

00/01 - Saint O'Neil of course, from the disaster of the previous year to a treble, Larsson with 53 goals, big Sutton, Thomo and Lennon arriving, 6-2, winning at ibrokes for the first time in 6 1/2 years, the birth of the modern Celtic in my eyes.

07/08 - The Title for Tommy, we were done, lost to sevco and motherwell back to back, 7 games to go and 11 points behind with them having 2 or 3 games in hand but two glasgow derby wins later and on to tannadice to be crowned champions for Tommy!

16/17 - invincible treble, does anything else need to be said about this? 5-1 at celtic park, 5-1 at ibrokes, knocked them out of both cups, record points total, record goals scored. a truely perfect season.

21/22 - pretty much the same as 00/01, from a disaster that left us 5 years behind that mob to overcoming everything and taking back our title in a year. late winners against ross county, dundee, united, aberdeen x2, Kyogo cup final goal winning lob and big ange with the new philosophy WE. NEVER. STOP.

2. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

07/08

21/22

11/12

Rodgers first season

anything else during 9iar

3. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Well, before Ange rocked up here, I was just supporting Crystal Palace, so top 5 title wins? Errr... this one :giggle1:

Creativecelt and Johniebhoy. like this.
  4. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    07/08 is probably my favourite because of the dramatic comeback we made.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    stew37, Slaw and Morcombe like this.
  5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    This is exactly mines, for the exact reasons as well.

The only other one that gets close is winning 9 in a row but the league getting called early makes that a weird one.

Garrymac1888, Peej and Morcombe like this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Why Crystal Palace? :56:

7. gordyf

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    87/88 Two reasons, first title when I was old enough to be aware of us and wasn’t too young to understand the importance of the centenary and also getting one over on that shower assembled with millions we didn’t have. Especially that smug * Souness. Season cemented Frank McAvennie as my childhood hero, was gutted when he left.

97/98 End of a decade of pain, that day in the sun against St Johnstone will forever be one of the greatest and most emotional days following this team. Was immense to get one over all the glory hunting shitebags that followed them too.

00/01 Agree exactly with your point about the start of modern Celtic, MON and the quality of players that came in was a massive change from the previous manic few years and before Fergus the dilapidated mess we were. Felt like, and was, foundation for years to come.

16/17 Invincible treble

And this year, it’s been a roller coaster at the start but from January it just felt like this was going to happen. Delighted that it has! For me the cavalier football and mixed bag of games in the first half I thought it was going to be more like the Tommy Burns teams. Up against it with them being relentless and while we were more entertaining and did better than the previous year it would end up falling short. Instead after the second half it’s like a hybrid of Burns / MON and Rodger’s sides, I really think if we hold on to Ange, our best players for as long as possible and continue to find crackers this could be an incredible few years ahead. Great to have that hope again after the disaster of last year.

Morcombe likes this.
  8. StevieBhoooy!

1988 centenary win
    1998 stopping their cheating at 9
    2002 great period for us
    2012 written off in November .. champs by February, Huns bust
    This one..

9. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Before this season, I would probably have said 07/08. Just a phenomenal comeback, winning those last seven games. Late winner against the huns to keep it alive, the mad 3-2 win against them a week or so later. And it was to do 3 in a row - despite us doing 9IAR twice, 3IAR is actually a very difficult thing to achieve. And all of it for Tommy Burns.

But I have to say that this season eclipses it for me. To win it relatively easily after a total collapse last season, and a total rebuild in the summer, is amazing. Especially as it took a 31 game unbeaten run after a pretty disastrous start. And let's be honest, the huns are very strong. They were defending champions, with a squad who know each other inside out. Yet our 'transition season' saw us win it back at the first time of asking.

Absolutely delighted with this season, and very excited for what's ahead. There is so much more to come from this team, once we get another 3/4 quality signings in. In Ange we trust.

Morcombe likes this.
  10. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    88 !! , Love Street 85/86 , all the "triple trebles " .

Morcombe and StevieBhoooy! like this.
  11. Charlielarsson

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Love street,98 stopping 10,helicopter Thursday,9 in a row,last nite

Morcombe likes this.
  12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    1. 07/08 & winning it for Tommy. Can't fully describe why but this season, coming from behind, then winning it for Tommy has always felt really special for me.
    2. The Invicible Treble - Obvious reasons. It just doesn't get much better than an undefeated treble season.
    3. 97/98 - First time I saw us win the league
    4. Securing 9 in a row for the second time in our club's history. Special occasion.
    5. This season. No one gave us a hope and I thought the rebuild would be too big to challenge for the league. Some great football along the way too.

Morcombe likes this.
  13. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Pretty much same as you

Morcombe likes this.
  14. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    97-98
    97-98
    97-98
    97-98
    97-98
    :ynwacelti

15. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

85/86 - the first season I was regularly attending games and that day at love street holds some very cherished memories that I'll take to the grave, probably my single favourite day as a Celtic supporter.

97/98 - stopping 10 and another that went to the wire, which always makes it that bit more tense and results in a more euphoric feeling. The roar and the elation in the stadium when brattbakk's goal went in is something else that will live with me for the rest of my days. Smell the glove!

87/88 - centenary year and a special one. Done in a beautiful set of kits too.

16/17 - invincible treble, incredible football, two 5-1 humpings of the hun and all done on the 50th anniversary of Lisbon. If carlsberg done football seasons.

For the last i really can't decide between Martin's treble year or the first of the 9, the turnaround of a 15 point deficit and the huns actually dying at the end of it, or this one.

Morcombe likes this.
  16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Yeah, this.

Morcombe likes this.
  17. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    For me it's
    1. 65/66 as we had been in the wilderness and a state of mediocrity. Winning the league that year stopped the rot and set us up for our first 9 in a row and also enabled us to qualify and win the European cup in 67

2. 97/98 as it stopped them doing the 10 which as we all know, would have been rammed down our throats constantly

3. This Season. No one gave us a chance and most of us just wanted to see an improvement in the team with maybe winning a cup however, Big Ange has restored our faith in the club and, as such, it's right up there for me

4. 87/88 as it was our Centenary year

5. 07/08 Coming from so far behind to win the league for Tommy. I will always remember the emotional scenes at Tannadice that night

Morcombe likes this.
  18. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Jock comes 65-66 wins the league

66-67 Jock wins the European cup

69 -70 We reach European final again

97-98 Wim Jansen stops the huns brings Henrick ( stays a year Wim that is )

21-22 Ange wins the league ( and league cup)

The 3 managers win the league in their first year and destroy the huns

19. Buster

85/86 Hearts never lost a game for over half a season, we were never catching them. The St Mirren goalies face when Dundee scored
    87/88 Centenary double, lots of late goals and Rangers :rip_1: big signings left on their arses

97/98 No explanation needed

07/08 We were so far behind and like this season the huns were shooting their mouths off

21/22 From where we were in August till now, never loved a group of players so much since MON's Seville team. Can't criticise them when doing wrong as you know they're giving 100%

Morcombe likes this.
  20. StevieBhoooy!

If you go that far back… should 66/67 not be in there ?