1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Anthony Ralston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CalgaryBhoy, May 12, 2016.

Discuss Anthony Ralston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He was more than someone to fill in when he was our consistent RB and Juranovic was our LB.

Seems to be a real myth around that Juranovic has only contributed this season at RB.

LB once he signed sure but 10 - 15 games at the start where it was all Ralston seems to be forgotten.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  2. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    He's fine against most spfl teams but in the big games you need juranovic just levels above.

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

There’s no myth.

Juranovic is a considerably better player and has been since day one, despite what some people on here were (and still are) suggesting.

ArturBorucCSC and Morcombe like this.
  4. Montero Gold Member Gold Member

His turnaround has been unreal and he'll likely have a good career here but it's not even close between him and Juranovic. Josip is just at a different level.

Morcombe likes this.
  5. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

What myth? He’s a better player. There’s a reason why he’s been the preferred option at RB for months. Playing Juranovic at LB was driven by our total lack of options there with Taylor out, although Ralston gave us that option through his good play to be fair.

That’s not a slight on him - he’s done a fantastic job, particularly earlier in the season when he stepped up. He’s just not as good an option.

Morcombe, NomDePlum and Montero like this.
  6. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Sorry should have been an "only" before "contributed" in my post. Hopefully that makes it make more sense as I think you are saying the same as me in the rest of your reply.

Bob Loblaw likes this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Had some season but Kent is too quick and tricky for him..

Juranovic is levels above..

9. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Josip is better but when Ralston is playing consistently like he was earlier in the season and was in great form I dont think theres levels between them at all although I do think josip is ultimately a better player.

10. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Takes no * from those hun *, lets them know he is around.
    Just a great option to have, will be able to play AR against most SPL dross, managing JJs game time.
    Right back is a position we are fully complete in.

11. oh bhoy

juranovic is definitly the better player but ralston i think is the only player who will go through some * just to let him know hes in a game .reading across the threads and there was the suggestion that we are too nice on the pitch we definitly need what he offers .
    with perhaps the exception of ccv i dont think we have had an outstanding player of the year ,they all have been brilliant in spells and ralstons early season form (with goals and assists) is every bit as important to us standing on the brink of the title.maybe even moreso as we were up against it early on

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  12. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Ralston has been good this season and, to be fair to him, Frimpong got done by Kent on many an occasion. As did Lustig a few times when his legs had gone.

Juranovic had him on toast at the 3-0 game though. Was exceptional tbh.

13. Maestro 08

Juranovic, a class player is our first choice RB. When he needs a rest or is injured we bring in someone who more than contributes in forward areas, rarely gets caught out for the majority of games he's asked to play in, gives his all for the shirt and loves the club. I don't see the problem. What do people really expect. 2 Juranovics'? One just happy to play 2nd fiddle. Ain't gonna happen folks.

We need someone similar in quality to Juranovic on the left and Taylor can do exactly the role that Ralston does but at LB. Happy days.

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Had a poor game, but it's probably the first time I've said that this season..

He's been a vital player for us this season and I'm delighted for him and us..

15. Lewis Kerr

I like him a lot. His turnaround has been pretty * great; for the first half of the season he was easily better than Juranovic for me.

In terms of the second half of the season, the opposite is true. Ralston is good going forward and supports the attack well with his crossing. But when he's up against superior wingers he looks bang average. He was really, really poor on the weekend. Even worse than Hatate for me.

He's got some good qualities as a footballer but just lacks that little something extra. He really needs to improve his 1v1 defending and defensive positioning. His touch is dreadful when you compare it to Juranovic's too.

I have no qualms about Ralston being a back up - he's more than good enough for that. But he needs to be able to come into the team and perform. We can't afford him to be ring rusty for 2 or 3 games after not playing for a while.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He just isn't as quick as Juranovic..

No slow but up against real pace, you need to have it to be able to combat it. It's why Juranovic completely mugged Kent in the 3 nil..

I know be got caught out at their's for their first goal but the semi showed up Ralston's lack of pace when they got in behind on the right over and over and eventually for their winner..

Was too flat footed for their equaliser and too many time's on Sunday as well..

I like Ralston. He's been a big player and had some turnaround. Can bomb on, whip ball's in. Played the inverted role well for the main part. Is strong in the tackle and in the air..

Juranovic is just simply a higher standard of player with unbelievable recovery pace..

Callum McGregor and Lewis Kerr like this.
  17. JamesM09

Juranovic is a better player but he also has 3 years on Ralston.

Ralston needs to keep working hard and keep on his upward trajectory. I reckon if things keep going the way they are he can raise his game a level. Competition with Juranovic will help.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Can't wait to see him with the championship trophy on Saturday, he has worked incredibly hard not just physically but also mentally to turn round his Celtic career into what it is now. Well done son, you deserve it :62:

saltire78 likes this.
  20. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Madness some of the takes on here. People forget that his performances earlier in the season were recognised with being selected in the Europa Team of the group stages.

Fella is developing his game and when JJ moves on he will be more than ready to step up into RB under Ange. In the meantime he gets to learn from the Croatian RB and work on being ready to come off the bench or not having played for weeks, and then being able influence a game.

NomDePlum likes this.