1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ball winning midfielder

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by jambo_cfc, May 1, 2022.

Discuss Ball winning midfielder in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jambo_cfc

Really need a good battling holding midfielder ! Hate to say it but the huns seem to have a good player in lundstrum and someone who will battle and through himself about ! But how much do you think we need to spend On this position and anyone any suggestions? I think if proce is right someone like mctominey

martin_d, NomDePlum and Skelleto like this.
  2. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    I don't know how so many people can't see it. CalmMac has been immense at CDM this season. He reads the game brilliantly, makes great interceptions, always provides an option for defenders to play out from the back, sets the tempo for us, plays the ball forward excellently.

StainseyBhoy and Ryanm1984 like this.
  3. jambo_cfc

which is fine against 99% of the spl but we need someone that can so it against the huns and in europe

martin_d likes this.
  4. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    But in 90% of our games we'd still probably be better off with CalMac playing. So a new CDM wouldn't get that much games time and would have to come in cold against the better teams we go up against.

5. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Been saying that we need a big tall muscular ball winning midfielder in the Wanyama mould for ages now. We will need one or two for games against teams like the huns as well as in Europe.

martin_d and Skelleto like this.
  6. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Couldn’t agree more!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

7. Mr Diggler

To me Liverpool are the benchmark. For instance McGregor to us is like their Thiago. Get a strong defensive midfielder in the mould of Fabinho and let McGregor flourish like Thiago has done.

martin_d, LectersLuncheon and Slaw like this.
  8. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Why not get a better holding player and let Cal go further forward?

martin_d and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  9. PaddyJamieson

I don't really see the need for this in the way others seem to, but so many folk go on about it that I do wonder if I'm missing something.

For me we need our 6 to be mobile and technically excellent, brave, basically exactly like CalMac. I think a more traditional ball winner in there wouldn't really fit our style of play, unless he was also a baller but then you're talking elite level.

10. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

See that's the thing, I'm not sure we can afford someone in the mold of a Fernandinho, whose exactly the type we need. So what type do we end up with? Another Bitton or Soro?

Extremely difficult position to fill.

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  11. jj81

Need a Robson type in there

martin_d and charlietully like this.
  12. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    Wanting a DM is no slight in Cal Mac, crazy to suggest that.

He is our best DM currently, but he is also our best CM going box to box. With Hatate, Rogic, Turnbull and O'Reilly all good options up ahead.

Only Hatate gives you that option box to go box should we play mcgregor as the 6.

Gucci must not be ready, and we could shed soro, Mccarthy and Bitton to make room for a new number 6.

13. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Just posted this in another thread, does anyone have any names in mind? I can't really think and only really watch our games and bigger games from the top leagues and CL so it's pointless for suggestions because we couldn't afford anyone!

14. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We'd need to spend £20 mil for a better holding mid.

Would like to see us get rid of McCarty, Bitton and Soro, then bring in a couple of young CDMs with real potential.

15. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Wouldnt argue with that.

How do you get rid of McCarthy and that long term contract though. Possibly the most idiotic decision we've made in the past 12 months.

James Mc likes this.
  16. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I just think we struggle when we have someone else at CDM. With the way we play, it's vital the the CDM finds little areas of space to give the defenders options for passes. When we don't have McGregor doing that, we look very vulnerable to the high press.

17. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    I'm not saying it wouldn't take huge money to get a better player than Cal Mac as a 6.

But its about balance. We lose alot of turnover in the centre of the park because we don't have the legs or engine in that area of the park. Any combo of oreilly, rogic and turnbull won't give you that coverage or running power.

Hatate currently is more a 60 minute player than rogic.

mcgregor further forward gives us a greater balance. Hypothetically if our midfield had a Lambert in it. It provides for greater balance than current set up.

.............Lambert..............
    .......rogic.....mcgregor.....

18. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I won't argue with you about Lambert. A Champions League winner that would have walked into any Celtic team since we had him. It's almost impossible for us to get that kind of quality nowadays though.

I think Hatate will do much better next year after a break and a full preseason. He's energetic, but running out of steam early now. He's only played professionally for 2 years, and it's his first time playing abroad. Genuinely think he's got as much potential as anyone else in the squad.

Reckon CalMac and Hatate will both be first choice in their positions next year.

I'd rather see us spend money for a right mid. O'Reily looks like a pretty good player, but think we could do with someone more athletic than him or Rogic in that position.

I do wonder if we might play 2 DMs in tough CL games though. Might explain why we have so many DMs on the books.

19. Maestro 08

Had hopes for Liam Shaw as a potential CDM from his pre season showings but seems not to have been up to scratch for us and his loan to Motherwell hasn't done anything for him either

20. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    100% the difference between him and Button was so clear to see. Everytime Hart or the defenders have the ball McGregor is screaming for it and takes it off the defenders. Bitton doesn't. McGregor dictates games so well.

If we're going to sign a midfielder make it a ball winning all energy one who can play in Hatate's role, don't move McGregor further forward.

Until then I'd rather see
    McGregor
    Rogic Bitton
    If we're going to bring Bitton on off the bench to sure up games

craigtheceltic likes this.