1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    One of the most technically gifted players we’ve had in recent years, shame he was such a waster.

buchanbhoy likes this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Guy will end up playing non-league after January.

neilly1987 likes this.
  4. celtic warrior

Could have been a real talisman during his career, but his head just isn't screwed on.

5. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Nobody to blame but his own stupidity.

6. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Bankrupt at 35 and ill be shocked if he isn't. Wonder when his £1000 pairs of trainers end up on ebay. Wont take long.

neilly1987 likes this.
  7. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    * sake… gives kris Boyd a run for his money there

neilly1987 likes this.
  8. Martybhoy53

He might get a PR job with Tunnocks.

9. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    123 goals that can never be taken away from him. Superb striker on his day, but stupid in the extreme.

Glad the saga is over, dragged the clubs name through the mud with his antics.

10. BelfastCelt88

Natural goalscorer which can’t be denied. Shame he couldn’t get his act together after a few too many chances. Will be lucky if another club touches him within the league or the championship.

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/theres-still-time-for-griffiths-but-the-rest-is-down-to-him/

As Leigh Griffiths is finding out, the old wisdom applies in football every bit as much as in normal life.

No longer wanted at Celtic, his hopes hinge on James McPake finding a workable solution that can see him stay on with Dundee.

The two men became close as team-mates at Livingston and Hibs, and the relationship has survived a loan deal deemed disappointing enough for the borrowers to start scrutinising the break clause.

Two goals in 14 games is a poor return for someone with Griffiths’ finishing ability.

And if one of them – a thundering free-kick against Aberdeen – was a reminder of his two stunning set-pieces against England in the summer of 2017, it was as poignant as it was impressive.

Five years on from that frantic afternoon at Hampden, the striker should be looking forward to March and a World Cup showdown against Ukraine, hopefully followed by a meeting with winners of Wales or Austria to decide who goes to Qatar.

Instead, Griffiths has been left to mull over another missed opportunity, in which his fitness for purpose has been called into question.

If I was a coach at Dens, I’d still be holding out hope he can get his head right and come good this season,” said former Dundee defender, Lee Wilkie, recently.

With the 31-year-old’s mental-health struggles well documented – and his physical condition a recurring issue – it is a wish that will be shared inside the club.

McPake demonstrated his faith in Griffiths when taking him to Tayside at the start of the season.

But he needs his players to not only hit the required condition targets, but also to maintain them throughout the season.

Get himself right, and the striker certainly has the natural ability to make a positive contribution in the Dark Blues’ fight to avoid relegation.

But his form has eluded him, and the alleged flare incident against St Johnstone – and with it the potential SFA and police sanctions – still hangs over him

As much as playing for Scotland again now looks beyond him, if he can do that, there is still time to kick on and make the most of the years he has left of his playing career.

No one, whether inside or outside the game, wants their star performers to be robots. They never have.

As we count down to the World Cup play-offs, an example of that comes from a tale of minor mischief-making which has recently surfaced, involving two men who represented Scotland at the 1982 Finals.

Alan Brazil and John Wark took part in a sweep, run by Ipswich Town players, on how long manager Bobby Robson’s team-talks would take.

All good clean fun – until Brazil bucked the system towards the end of the briefing by asking Sir Bobby a follow-up question to nudge himself into pole position.

But Wark then scuppered Brazil’s winnings by jumping in with a request for a wee bit of clarification on the answer that would instead see him scoop the cash.

If such dastardly tactics further dragged out a process that was overlong in the first place, the players were by then laughing too much to care.

The suspicion Robson might be playing along would only add to the mirth.

Crucially, though, such capers did nothing to harm the careers of anyone involved.

All were examples of men who made the most of their opportunities.

The biggest disappointment of Robson’s career was surely at the World Cup Finals in Italy in 1990, when he got England to the semi-finals, only to see their hopes sunk in a penalty shoot-out against the then West Germany.

Born in that same year when Germany was united once more, Leigh Griffiths would doubtless have become familiar with the achievements of the aforementioned Ipswich trio on his path to becoming a professional.

The sad fact, though, is that, as excitement about Scotland’s bid to clinch what would be a remarkable qualification double builds, he himself has not been able to fulfil his potential.

Alex Ferguson, speaking about his fellow knight Robson’s exit from the international arena, argued it was not whether you were knocked down that counted – but how many times you got back up.

While the 1990 World Cup was the end of his association with England, Robson subsequently led clubs PSV Eindhoven, Porto and Barcelona to glory.

Still, as Harry Kane reminded us to our cost on the day of Griffiths’s star turn in 2017, it’s not over ’til it’s over.

tarboltontim likes this.
  12. leeso-ardoyne

Crazy how Celtic supporters talk about ex-players on here! Especially one with mental health issues! I do understand the frustration with him, but I thought our supporters had more class than this.

I always liked seeing his name on the team sheet. On his day he was a great striker. Yes it all went down hill for him but I'm not going to join the bandwagon and kick this man when he's down! Very easy to do but I'd like to think I'm better than that!

He was a decent Celtic player. Wound the Huns up massively! Contributed to our 9IAR and quad treble and for that, I thank him. He brought many a smile to my face along that historic journey. Could he had of had a better career for us, of course he could, but he didn't and that's life. I wish him well in the future and hope he doesn't go on a worse spiral now that his ties from us have been cut.

Hail Hail Leigh!

13. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Aye, give the paedo a break, lads.

Conlon, AdamRS, Raoul Duke and 2 others like this.
  14. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That word is thrown about like confetti these days, it's so hun like it's unreal.

15. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I'm more concerned with him texting an underage girl things that he really shouldn't be.

Call me a hun all you like.

16. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Not calling you a hun hammy, you're a good poster. I just wouldn't be caught dead as a tim revelling in that kind of patter, it gives me the * heave.

17. murphy88

How else would you describe someone who messages an under age girl?

18. leeso-ardoyne

Leigh griffin's is not a Peado! Only an idiot would say so.

I'd say your the type of person that loves to join the bandwagon and slander someone with a disgusting term like that without knowing all the facts. Very weak minded, loves getting something out of pointing the finger at others so you can get something out of it in your own * life. Very easy to do but * stupid all the same! I know your type, a yes man who would love the attention of sitting in a knitting circle carrying on rumours about other's without having the brain capacity to even think for themselves. At a guess, I'd say you spend most of your day ripping * out of everyone you know anytime your invited into someone else's private space and try to get your own wee lols while doing the slandering. I meet people like you all the time and it's * depressing having to even spend a few seconds with them let alone any other length of time.

They say you learn something everyday, well for you hammy. Learn to get the facts right and don't be a * clown because it does make you look like a * idiot!

Anyway, tiocfaidh ar la!

19. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Not revelling in anything. Not point scoring. I genuinely liked Griffiths but you can't overlook some things. He's a racist and a predator.

There's a reason why we punted him a few weeks after he signed a contract extension with us.

He's a scumbag.

20. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The debate has been done to death tbh. I don't think the guy deliberately goes out his way to prey on children, he's just extremely thick and a renowned * wee *. Not defending his actions by any means, just find it weird as * watching Celtic fans take great pleasure in throwing that word around at the faintest opportunity, considering some of the pish we need to listen to from they rat * in Govan.

leeso-ardoyne likes this.