1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

All things the Metaverse!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by leeso-ardoyne, Jan 15, 2022.

Discuss All things the Metaverse! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. leeso-ardoyne

Don't really know much about the Metaverse but what I have been watching/reading it's an interesting place. My own son has one of them virtual reality head sets, put it on and the sec I took it off it was depressing. Like something you'd see on a sci-fi film years ago but now it's here and will be taking over the majority of people's lives by the end of this decade. Interesting times ahead.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...xa8BegQIBxAF&usg=AOvVaw3WAINP8jUVoRPxTvsRmVje

https://www.google.com/search?q=the...otorola-rev2&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#

2. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    The whole thing can .uck off !!:84:

Garrymac1888 and leeso-ardoyne like this.
  3. oh bhoy

you are already in one ..... maybe!

4. leeso-ardoyne

Agree! But it's here and is the future. Mind-blowing stuff it is of what I've been watching all day about it. Frightening aswell.

5. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    People buying land in Earth 2, so land in a simulation that doesn't yet exist.

leeso-ardoyne likes this.
  6. leeso-ardoyne

As outrageous as that sounds, it is a possibility!

oh bhoy likes this.
  7. leeso-ardoyne

Yes, this is what got my attention! Land getting sold for ridiculous prices and the land doesn't even excist in the real world!

I think in the not to distant future, well all be in the TCs version on the Metaverse haha

8. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I just don't see the point in a totally real life simulation that is pure real time. I could understand submesing yourself for a couple of hours at night after work playing a character in a video game or a better than life.

9. leeso-ardoyne

This is my first thinking but people will get addicted to it. The owners of this will make sure of it. I was only on this for awhile and as mentioned in my first post, the moment I took it off I got a sense of depressed. Infact the battery died just as I was on a beach in Dubai. Even thou I knew it was a headset but the experience I was feeling was sureal!

10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Yeah it will be dangerously addictive, in a sense that people basically starve or dehydrate while sitting in it. I'm all for technology but this doesn't sound goodm
    If this is all a simulation I suggest that the person playing as me cough up for the latest dlc.

11. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    A woman reported being sexually assaulted on metaverse. I don’t know what to make of that as my mind won’t let me process it. Does that mean someone can report their car being stolen in Grand Theft Auto online?

12. leeso-ardoyne

Is this a joke?

13. leeso-ardoyne

packybhoy likes this.
  14. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

I think a Ready Player One style experience is an inevitability, but there are so many different metaverse projects and no platform to unite them or bring them together. The tech needs to catch up first. The Oculus Quest 2 is a brilliant entry point to VR and I'd recommend it to anyone, but it is limited. I don't think we're that long away from it though, especially as cloud technology and gaming becomes faster and latency free.

I've been in the NFT game for a few months and just sold a digital profile picture for 5 figures. I've seen digital items go for more. So there's a lot of money and hype behind it. Most of those will peter out or collapse and some will survive.

15. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Is this the universe where there are alternative facts ?? Where an orange skinned man can summon up legions of orcs to do his bidding in Washington ? It’s been done before :67:

16. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

This makes me incredibly sad and I am thankful I lived when i lived.
    We are heading for a society where people are 25 stone blobs sitting in gaming chairs being fed through a drip, * into a bucket while hooked up to some virtual reality nonsense.
    Instead of the wonderful game of boy meeting girl (or boy) , boy (or girl) and girl experiencing all the magic that comes with love it will be two big sweaty heifers having virtual * and buying a mail order virtual child they share on alternate weeks at their virtual 7 bedroom houses seen through their back bedroom of their maws house.

The world is such a wonderful exciting place, people should go see and visit real obscure countries and people, swim in the oceans, love and spend time with animals and see their natural habitats.

Taste it, smell it, feel it and see it....that's what life should be about.

Not a fan as you can probably tell :56:

17. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I agree to be honest. It could be really good if an immersive game, an educational tool or even used as a device to enjoy a holiday but there will come a point where it will become life for some, a drug for some. Also imagine the amount of electricity a whole virtual world, which stimulates senses in your body would need to run. It would be very bad for the environment unless billions upon billions is invested in renewable fuel.

leeso-ardoyne and bagforlife like this.
  18. leeso-ardoyne

I know the world is * up but it's about get even more * up with * like this below. For anyone who is around today and lives to be 80-100. We're going to see some weird things to come in the following decades with the way technology is changing all our lives.

rsz_screenshot_20220118-073001_2.png

With the depopulation in flow, there won't be as many people about once it's over. The energy crisis is tied into this. I'm near sure I read somewhere, the energy it takes for a Google search is something like a lightbulb on for a few hours. This might not sound much but think of the Google searches daily. Even bit coin mining energy consumption is the same as a small countries consumption. Something has to give and that is the population growth although that's a whole other thread altogether.

19. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The guy marrying a robot, I'm not surprised. Did anybody see the 2017 documentary The * robots are coming? This guy bought loads of Real Dolls (used ones too) , he said he even brought them into bed at night to share the bed with his wife. The wife just looked embarrassed as *.