1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen McManus

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Apr 27, 2008.

Discuss Stephen McManus in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Claire

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Brooon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I don't think you can deny that McManus has tried his upmost and always gave his captain role 100%, but unforunately it still leaves a lot to be desired. But the guys learning and with the influence of Lennon around the club and given more time I think we could see a much better side to him in leading the team.

Tbh,I can't think of any other players who would have been better equipped for the job. We just have to work with what we have, I suppose.

2. Ricardinho

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    CELTIC have not written off Stephen McManus for the season, despite reports the captain's calf injury will prevent him from kicking another ball in this campaign.
    The rugged defender was forced to limp out of Sunday's Old Firm game after damaging the muscle just below the back of his left knee.
    Club medical staff - who made preliminary checks on the injury yesterday - want to allow the problem to settle down before making any prediction on exactly how long McManus might be out.

Evening Times: Sport

Hopefully he's not out for the whole campaign because it'd be good to have all options possible but if he is we should be able to cope you'd think

3. kennydal

gs made the right decision at that time cos mick was doing so well ,more recently i said mick was suffering because he was playing beside a dud , caldwell ,but now caldwell has found a bit of form its noe reversed ,i dont think mick should be captain ,someone said earlier that gs has dugg a hole for himself ,wrong ,gs as manager can take that away from him at anytime ,aye its hard but if hes not playing well he should be treated the exact same as every other player , and when he went off injured on sunday he handed the band to caldwell ,hes another i dint want as captain , i would have made boruc the captain he sees everthing thats going on and if your looking for leadership why not ,and dont jump down my throat saying ,hes a joker or a bad influence etc ,hes a pro ,and i bet he has a big say in that dressing room

4. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Whats the big deal about he captain? I can only think of one other player that is guaranteed a game and mentally able to carry the weight of being skipper, unfortunately King Artur can never be captain as he courts too much controversy. (Come to think of it Hartley could do it but he has only r3ecently become a first choice player)

Mick is the best centre half we have. Because caldwell has played a couple of decent games doesn't change 3 years of mediocrity. Benfica away who threw away the result? ICT away who threw away the result? There are more examples but i've blotted them out through pain and alcohol.

Mick would become a better player if he had a better partner that he could trust. Get off his back. What more can you ask of a skipper when he is Celtic through and through, came up through the youth ranks, plays for Scotland, leads with dignity and has a belief in fair play, can get run over by a truck and would still play and is eloquent when interviewed?

He is a big, ugly centre half and is OUR captain. Stick by our team. FFS.

5. Goggzy60

Glad to see he is coaching the first team now. Better defender than JK so hopefully can help us get better defending set pieces etc.

6. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Ange rates him highly apparently

7. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Well this has been a jog down memory lane

Slaw and Callum McGregor like this.
  8. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    He was only better than Kennedy bcoz he had a full career, John Kennedy could and probably would have been a fantastic centrehalf.

Damnati, James Mc, Tommy25 and 3 others like this.
  9. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Well unless he can make half the team grow a few inches in height then our defending at set pieces wont get much better.

eire4 likes this.
  10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    There is room for improvement when it comes to positioning and area coverage of set pieces. Marking the relevant zones, and utilizing CCV and Ralston to block the most proficient opposition headers of the ball (data analysts find who these are!) would help. Also, McManus was brave as *. If our defenders are willing to risk a busted forehead, then we'll look better in the air.

11. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    zonal marking is pish I use man for man when coaching space never scores a goal pick up a man and stick to him. None of this but he’s not in my zone * man for man pick him up and stick to him

12. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Just about to post about this was John Kennedy not the centre half in the side when we went away to Barca in 04 and got the 0-0 to put us through to quarter finals Marshall in goal helped keep out a Ronaldinho at peak of his powers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommy25 and muaythai postie like this.
  13. Al Bootyerbaws

Kennedy was brilliant that night.

14. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Just need to prize heid away from Hibs and get the gang back together in full

15. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    *shudders*

littlekennie and Ciaran_67 like this.
  16. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    He was so calm on the ball and his reading of the game was excellent. I honestly believe he could have gone to the very top of the game. He was an outstanding prospect.

littlekennie, Tommy25 and cfcturbo like this.
  17. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Can’t stand that *.

Tommy25 and Ciaran_67 like this.
  18. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Mixed is what we should do. Ralston and CCV man-mark, the others do a zone.

19. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    I will disagree there zonal marking is the worst thing to come into football what if you’ve got 2 lads in your zone the other player can’t go in there as that’s your zone it’s pish

littlekennie likes this.
  20. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Zonal marking is not what we need, * hate it. Most teams in the league have at least 4/5 players over 6ft and good in the air, most games we only have 2 or 3. Simply outnumbered.