1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Do you think Ange should be sacked if we finish a point behind them?

2. Maestro 08

No

ms-1888 likes this.
  3. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The title is always paramount in Glasgow, but if ever there was a season where a manager deserved some leeway if he doesn’t win it then this is it.

ms-1888, Wllm and Lewis Kerr like this.
  4. Maestro 08

I like the guy and he will be given some leeway but in this city that has a finite period. Not winning it this season will make it harder to win next imo and he won't be allowed two failures.

5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

So how paramount is it then?

We all want to win the league but there's no way it should be expected this season. He is building a team. It looks like for once we'll be going into CL qualifiers (if we need them) prepared with a very good squad. Still need a couple of positions addressed but the squad right now is night and day compared to the mess he found himself left with when he took over.

As others have said, we might not win this league this season, but we'll be ready for it next season. I'd be extremely confident we'll win it next season if we keep our best players during the summer.

6. Maestro 08

Extremely.

How many non title winning campaigns do you give him?

If he gets a pass on this one then surely not another one?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  7. jamiebhoy67

At the start of the season I said I'm happy for Celtic to rebuild this season and go full pelt the following season however with 1 trophy in the bag and all to play for on the table. We go for it I think it's paramount in terms of the Huns standing if they won't win this league they are in a world of pain financially. I think we will win the league anyway

8. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Of course it has a finite period, but that’s not just one season. No one is suggesting that just because Ange is a likeable guy he should be given an indefinite time to get it right, but he had a huge rebuild on his hands (alone!) and it’s clear as day the progress he’s making. Next season winning the title is paramount; this season it would be a huge bonus and a massive credit to Ange.

I do think we have a great chance this year though.

The67Sound likes this.
  9. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Yes If we were 11 points clear with 4 games to go, then Ange decided to rest Kyogo for the last 4 games and we lost them all. Handing the title to the huns.

Then I would want him sacked.

10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

:ange:

11. Maestro 08

He'll def get this season. My concern is that failure this season makes it even harder to win next season. For me this season in particular is crucial. I think it could define the future of the game here. They are on a knife edge financially. This is a significant turning point.

martin_d and Liam Scales like this.
  12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The chances of kyogo being rested, acceoi being rested, of us lossing four games in a row, are all massively unlikely.

That's a mad hyperbolic example on an already hypothetical situation.

For me, bottom line is, Ange so far is going well, unfortunately we are 6 behind the Huns. Going any further behind is not a good sign, no matter how sexy we know the football could be at times.

It's now in to the second half of the season, a well needed break, reassess his squad needs, key players in the door. I'll judge him from here on, if he brings it to within a few points, a game or two(draw), and we narrowly miss the title, he deserves another shot.

We all know this season/squad needs time to progress, he's getting that. But he needs to show in this second half that we are taking a step forward from the first half. Which is to lot drop any more needless points and get the victories over the huns that we need.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Maestro 08 likes this.
  13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Another extreme view.

This is his first season.

If you're refusing to give him one season, than your expectations are off the scale here.

Giving him one, doesn't mean we end up giving him two or three failed seasons.

If we miss the title this season (narrowly) and begin next season poorly, he wouldn't last long either way

But chances are, if you're watching his games, he gets this season and we expect he will kick on more so next season.

14. Foley1888

Starting to get the feeling Ange has had enough of the nonsense in September and December where we had a lack of first team quality players available, not to mention having pretty much went the full season with no options off the bench.

We have already bolstered our midfield options with Ideguchi coming in as an alternative 6, Hatate and sounds like McGree as 8/10’s.

We have brought in Maeda as a winger/ striker option and sounds like we are looking to bring one more in at least in those positions. No doubt he will be looking to Forrest and Giakoumakis to offer a lot more than they have so far as well, not to mention a fully fit Jota and Kyogo again. There’s also the unknown almost wildcard of Dembele available again. So the forward line is being strengthened and depth added.

Julien is finally available again at CB which will be interesting to see, he has had a serious injury and missed a lot of time so unlikely to be rushed but it can’t be forgotten he was the main man at the back for us in 19/20, far more so than Ajer. I worry about his pace playing in this system but he did have a decent long diagonal pass in him and his contribution in the air in both boxes was excellent. Games like the St Mirren, Ross County, Livi etc he could have got on the end of one of our corners and unlike Starfelt actually put it away. If he comes back well he will be a big plus.

We have also played the first half of the season without a recognised left back. Taylor isn’t everyone’s favourite, mine included but he does seem to be able to take information on board and do what Ange is asking. If no left back is brought in during the window at least having someone who naturally plays the position will be a positive.

I do have the concern of integrating so many new players into the team, all be it a good few of them know the manager or played in similar type teams so have the best chance of doing so successfully.

We may well be an entirely different proposition to what we have been so far this year. Both in terms of increasing our intensity particularly out of possession in our pressing and also the overall energy and pace in the team when on the ball. I expect if the new boys can click quickly the quality of football being played should go up another level or more.

15. Maestro 08

If you read back, barring a disastrous 2nd half I am confident he'll get another crack at it. In not sure where the 'extreme' view is tbh. If anything your take on things is elevating things to extremes.

16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Maybe I'm reading your other post in the wrong tone, but it read as if you wouldn't give him a second season if he failed to win the title this year.
    That one "failed" season is enough to sack a manager - that's the extreme part.

As I say, could pick you up wrong bud. Apologies if I have.

Maestro 08 likes this.
  17. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I agree that winning the league this year makes it a * of a lot easier to win it next year (and quite possibly causes irreparable damage across the city), but it’s extreme to suggest that Ange has failed or his job should be in doubt if we don’t win it this year. It puts more pressure on him going into next season, but it’s not fatal.

It therefore technically isn’t paramount.

18. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I think Ange understands very clearly that he can't fail to win the title both this and next season. No doubt his aim will be to win this year, but if that's beyond this team, then not winning it again next year would be unthinkable. I don't think he'd have to be pushed out the door at that point, he'd likely put his hands up and admit he'd failed.

I read some comments by Thomas Broich, a German who played under Ange for Brisbane Roar, where he was talking about their second season when they had an injury crisis and failed to finish top of the league, but despite this still recovered to win the Grand Final match, which is the ultimate prize in the A-League. He said the squad were expecting congratulations on winning the final, but Ange wasn't happy and reminded them that failing to finish first in the league isn't good enough. So those are the standards he'll be setting for himself and the team.

Maestro 08 likes this.
  19. Lewis Kerr

He's genuinely worked wonders so far.

I can't imagine another manager having the impact he's had here in such a short space of time.

He came into a decimated squad where morale was at an all-time low. 25 points behind the huns, first trophy-less season in * knows how long. Our best players in Ajer and Edouard wanted to leave; Elyounoussi left, Christie left. One of our most influential players of the last decade in Brown had left.

We had one right back in the entire squad available who has levelled up and now looks like a reliable stalwart for years to come. He brought Rogic back to his sparkling best, McGregor and Bitton too.

The centre backs at his disposal for the CL qualifiers were Welsh, Bitton and Murray. Our goalkeepers would barely get a game for my local pub team. We've relied on youth, fringe players and new signings to hit the ground running. We've been incredibly unlucky with constant big injuries to key players since the season started. We almost got out of a very difficult EL group, playing some of the best football I've seen us play in Europe. That's after doing remarkably well to beat AZ to get there in the first place. We've won a trophy at the first attempt and are still in touching distance for the league. His signings have been incredible in how they've transformed us.

Has he made a few mistakes? Of course. But the job he has done so far (all by himself) has been utterly sensational.

20. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    So you're telling me there's a chance?

Hammy89 likes this.