1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
  2. joemc

Should not be selling a good academy player ,has the potential to be a great player for us .

Mickmac, Maestro 08 and Tommy25 like this.
  3. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I don't rate him as much as others, but it's clear he has potential and, currently, he'd be my second choice CB alongside Carter-Vickers, so it would need to be something stupid like £6 million+ for us to even consider imo.

Dan Breen and LectersLuncheon like this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Udinese are set to return with a second offer for Celtic defender Stephen Welsh.

The Serie A side had an initial loan bid, with a buy option, kicked out by the Hoops.

But Udinese remain keen on the Scotland under-21 star and are ready to try again

But Celtic are in no rush to sell, with the 21-year-old getting regular game-time this season.

Cameron Carter-Vickers and Carl Starfelt are Ange Postecoglou’s first-choice central defensive pairing.

Chris Jullien is also due to return from long-term injury in January but Welsh remains a key member of the Hoops squad.

He signed a new four-year deal last year and Udinese will face a fight to land him.

Italian newspaper Messagerro Veneto incredibly reported today that Stephen Welsh is only being valued at €2m [£1.6m] by Celtic.

On Friday, Sky Sports reported that the Hoops had booted out an offer from Serie A club Udinese to take Welsh to Italy. The move was said to be a loan deal with the option of making it permanent.

But whilst Messagerro Veneto, a Udine-based newspaper, claimed that Udinese still like the player, they’ve come up with a bizarre valuation on the talented centre-back.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  5. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I mean I never believe the press but just imagine if it was true about us only putting Welsh’s value at 1.6 million.

What a load of *.

Hammy89 likes this.
  6. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Wonder what Welsh himself thinks of the link. He seems quite level headed for his age so I don't think it will be unsettling him, but it could be seen as a great opportunity for his career progression.

If it were up to me I'd have him in with CCV for every game he's available for as he's improved visibly in his time in the team. Honestly think he could be a Mick McManus type...here for the long haul and a very steady defender without being spectacular. Would love to keep the boy and see how he goes over the next few year, but would completely understand if he fancied a crack at Italy.

martin_d likes this.
  7. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Udinese can git ta *

Tommy25 likes this.
  8. Cringer67

Would be madness to sell unless it’s silly money. I think it’s madness starfelt starts ahead of him so what do I know.

9. john2061

We really need at the minute another centre half and not selling one but every player has a price and anything over 5 million the board might think about selling .

10. celtic warrior

Wouldn't sell.

Tommy25 likes this.
  11. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Hold on….

20 year old hun who’s had 2 starts this year sells for a price potentially rising to £16m.

21 year old who’s had multiple starts, captains the national team at under 21 level is valued at 10% of that?

Aye ok. 8 figures minimum for him

12. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    £2m, I’ll take that… as his loan fee.

Get to * £2m for selling him. CCV has been out on loan forever to get to his level and is 24. I can easily see Welsh bulking up(not to CCV size :giggle1:) and getting to the same level of performance.

It’s a no for me unless they are going £10m+

13. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    2m is a chump bid.

Whilst i dont rate Welsh personally, I think there's potential there, and unless we NEED to sell to facilitate another incoming CB, he shouldn't be going anywhere in this window.

But 4m would bring me to the table no problem, stick another mil on top of that and we could sign a vastly superior player, with development further along than Welsh.

What are Everton up to? Apparently they throw 16 million at academy players who are raw as *.

MusselburghBhoy and AdamRS like this.
  14. Maestro 08

Honestly mate, how can you not rate him? I find that crazy. The kid has stepped up on multiple occasions. For a young CB he's been thrown in at the deep end and really his attitude has to be admired. The boy is a big asset for us, talented, a Celtic fan and growing by the game. Please stop wishing him away.

15. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I reckon that we do need to sell, to facilitate incomings and to reduce the wage bill. But not Welsh. There are a dozen who contribute jack, lets get them offloaded first. Every player has his price but 2M, GTF.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  16. stew37

I don't get it either. He's been very good for us. As many have said probably the only positive from last season, he was arguably our best performer. The idea of letting him go for anything like 2m is ludicrous.

Dan Breen likes this.
  17. McKagan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ralston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go home ya huns
    Hopefully can send Starfelt over instead in a John Barnes/Luther Blissett type situation

Dan Breen likes this.
  18. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    The CH position is not settled, to say the least. I can´t see a sell here.

If anything, we need another CH in. CCV is currently holding it together almost on his own.
    We don´t know if / when Jullien gets back, Starfelt is not to be trusted. Selling Welsh now would be madness.

19. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Simple: keep. Lad will improve and attract better offers (for us and him) as time goes on.

20. StevieBhoooy!

Probably a great opportunity for him… but so is playing for Celtic even on an irregular basis.

Far more value to us right now than a coupe of million in the vault. We could well have to spend significantly more to replace him.

His value will increase and we can’t be cutting squad depth … especially in that area.