1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Osaze Urhoghide

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jul 1, 2021.

Discuss Osaze Urhoghide in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

He played well

Dan Breen likes this.
  2. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Right now, thats the best option, provided that come Jan, no injuries to the like of Ralston, JJ and Welsh.

eire4 likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

OSAZE URHOGHIDE admits the demands at Celtic have been a massive eye-opener.

The English full-back could head out on loan this month after making just one Hoops appearance since July

Urhoghide has struggled to make Ange Postecoglou’s side since signing from Sheffield Wednesday.

He admits the intensity of his Celtic experience has been a shock as he learns from the Aussie boss.

But the former AFC Wimbledon kid, 21, insists the dedication of his Hoops team-mates has helped take his game to a new level. Urhoghide said: “At a club like Celtic, second really isn’t good enough. It’s first or nothing, even in training.

“That’s one thing I’ve found different here, the demand to win. There’s expectation of success and that’s in training too.

When we’re playing games, you have to be 100 per cent every day.

“I used to think I was dedicated before, but the levels of dedication now have to be higher.

If not, you won’t get where you want to be.

It has to be your life. Everything has to revolve around being ready for training and games.

“Even your sleep. You have to get that right too.

“Being here is a different kettle of fish. If you’re not mentally strong in football, you won’t last two minutes.”

Urhoghide earned rave reviews at Hillsborough in the second half of last season before sealing a move to Parkhead.

The powerful defender featured in pre-season but has been limited to just one outing since.

He started last month’s Europa League clash against Real Betis and produced a strong display at right-back.

Urhoghide wants more though, and has quickly grown used to the expectation of fans.

He said: “You need to perform in every game as the fans are on you. It doesn’t matter how you feel. The fans demand success and there’s always expectation. That’s the biggest change from Wednesday.

At Celtic, a club with so much history of winning stuff, there is just that demand to win.

I knew it before I signed, but now I’m here, you can see the pressure to win and perform.

“Even a draw sometimes makes the fans angry. They just want the club to be successful, especially after Rangers won the league and stopped ten in a row

The rivalry is something else. There’s not one in England like it.

“I know how crazy it is and how the mentality is.”

Urhoghide charts his career through regular videos on his personal YouTube channel.

Despite a lack of game-time so far, he’ll never give up on making the grade with Celtic and puts in hours of extra work to get ready.

He added: “You need to work on your touch, your control and also your awareness.

“The top level is so much quicker. Football is hard and it has to be your life. There are no short-cuts, because one day they run out.

“I have big dreams to reach the heights. If you commit so much and fail, at least there are no ifs and buts at the end.”

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    tarboltontim, Crilly and Boruc17 like this.
  7. Bazza Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Its a grand old team to play for
    Loan him to Hearts as a sweetener for Souttar to come in as backup.

Dan Breen likes this.
  8. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I'd rather just loan him to Hearts without getting Souttar.

9. Bazza Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Its a grand old team to play for
    I'd rather take Souttar than let the Huns get him. He'd be decent back up.

10. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Decent backup for me he starts for us over Welsh and Starfelt so not sure you could say back up at all

11. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I don't care if the huns get him tbh.

I don't really rate him.

12. Foley1888

Been hearing we aren’t interested with regards Souttar and it was more his agent/reps trying to get Celtic interested.

13. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If we’re looking to improve then Souttar shouldn’t be anywhere near our radar. Whether the huns want him or not, we need to be aiming higher.

We should definitely be looking to get Osaze out on loan for the second half of the season though. There’s no way he’ll develop properly without playing football, so getting 20 or so games under his belt would be hugely beneficial.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Osaze Urhoghide a wanted man as Celtic bat away transfer offers
    Celtic’s Osaze Urhoghide is wanted by a whole host of clubs in Scotland and England, but the Bhoys are reticent to let him leave on anything but a loan deal.

The 21-year-old joined the club over the summer as a free agent after deciding against extending his time at Sheffield Wednesday, and has had a bit of bad luck on the injury front as he looked to impress manager, Ange Postecoglou.

Urhoghide made his debut in green and white last year in a solid performance in the UEFA Europa League, but then picked up a knock in training that meant a spell on the sidelines for the young defender.

Now, with the ex-Owl set to return to full training next week, it’s understood that a number of clubs in the Scottish Premiership have expressed a desire to get him on board, as have a couple of teams in the English Championship.

It’s thought that Celtic have turned away any approaches to sign the full back – who can also play as a centre half – on a permanent basis, but are open to letting him leave on loan in January in order for him to get some regular game time under his belt after a difficult few months.

15. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Didn't realise he had an injury, maybe explains why he didn't get gametime when Starfelt was injured.

Might be 21 but it's far too soon to sell him imo, loan him out for 6 months and see where he is in the summer.

eire4, martin_d and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  16. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    He's definitely got potential, brilliant physical attributes and a loan move where he plays week in week out would be good for him and us.

Twisty and LectersLuncheon like this.
  17. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Souttar is not better than Welsh and with his injury history definitely not worth it.

18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Absolutely there is potential there and loaning him out to another spfl team like we just did with Shaw would be ideal both him as a player and for us so we can really see where he is and then make a decision in the summer.

19. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Am i the only one with high hopes for this kid?

I think hes gonna be a beast for us in a season or two.

As far as a loan goes, it has to be the right one. Somewhere he can get regular starts, regular experience against "decent" opposition, and somewhere where he can execute Anges defensive style in preparation to impress.

No point loaning him out to somewhere where hes gonna be long balling it, or sitting deep for 90 minutes, or chilling on the bench 50% of the time.

But again, dong know why, just think theres something about the kid thats gonna click.

But a loan looks like a great option. Its not like Lennedy will be working his coaching magic on him with private sessions here :fear:

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic youngster Osaze Urhoghide is a loan target for English League One side Morecambe.

The Shrimps want to take the Dutch defender, who arrived in Glasgow from Sheffield Wednesday during the summer, for the rest of the season.

Urhoghide has been afforded little first-team opportunity under Ange Postecoglou, making just one competitive appearance in a Europa League dead rubber against Real Betis.

Morecambe are managed by former Motherwell boss Stephen Robinson, who has been alerted by Postecoglou feeling he is well covered at the back.

Robinson is looking to add to his squad to keep the club up in their first season back in England’s third tier.

He has already returned to Scotland to take keeper Trevor Carson on-loan from Motherwell.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022