1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Joe T, Dec 29, 2011.

Discuss The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Benched 100kg today after starting in the gym as a twig 6 years ago

:ange:

neilly1987, Seán Mac D, jj81 and 2 others like this.
  2. Mr. Slippyfist

Just seen this.

Well done buddy, bet ye the two guys that were helping you lift it were * knackered :56::56::56:

Slaw and honda like this.
  3. Belgian_lad

Nice one. Good time as well. You should try half a marathon in under two hours. It doesnt really mean much, but mentally its a good feeling when u achieve half a marathon in under 2hrs. You probably do it in a weeks time if you are doing 20k in 1h57 this week lol.

Been training for marathon, doing weekly 15k, 21k and then push myself, 28k is my maximum at the moment. I used to run at around 4’30 per km, but had a problem with the heart and now i am on a betablocker medication, so the heartrate stays low and i cant seem to push myself as i was able to do before. But i dont really get tired and can keep going.

neilly1987 and McChiellini.. like this.
  4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I've actually stopped running for a couple week's. The long runs were making me drop a bit too much weight and just looking skinny..

Might jump on them but just keep it to 10k and smaller one's here and there as gonna bulk up more I think..

Fair play for still keeping at that mate. Hard going. My heart rate is always slightly lower like in the 50's as I went to top up my da's bone marrow the other week and it was low again. They did ask me if I'm active and said I walk a lot and run, plus workout and they said that's completely normal then..

I would be tempted to do a half marathon as a one off though. Even for a charity or something just to test myself. What is a half marathon in kilometres?

Belgian_lad likes this.
  5. Belgian_lad

Its not much more then what you did, you ran 20km. Half a marathon is only about 1,3km more. So when u done the 20k, you were almost there.

i have always been into hiking and running, love covering the distance and going against the elements. The heart wont stop me, its under control with the medication, so i can keep doing it. What i do to keep from being too skinny is pushups in the morning and evening, keeps the shoulders wide, but the rest stays lean. And when you mix it with hiking you keep your legs from getting to thin too. If you heart rate is in the 50s during the day, it will probably drop in the 40s or lower as you sleep. My smartwatch has an automatic alarm if it drops under 40 lol. Happens often enough lol.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye it's very tempting mate. I may bang one out..

I usually done press ups most day. My shoulders are pretty wide, I'm 6'1 and no lanky in the slightest but I could visibly notice the drops in weight as soon as I finished some of my longer runs..

Good that you're still in ro it all my man. Keep it up..

In to the 40's give me the fear that I'll just keep going down and keel over :giggle1:

Belgian_lad likes this.
  7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Got a bit more serious with my diet and now meal prepping twice a week, aiming for 180g of protein each day. Lost a stone but increased muscle mass 1kg in the last 4 weeks.

Bench up to 85kg, squatting 90kg and deadlift a very weak 85kg :38:

Enjoying the grind as things stand.

neilly1987, McChiellini.. and honda like this.
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    That Dundee penalty miss winding me up that much I'm away for a run..

Done 10k in under an hour..

No too bad considering I've been off it for a wee while..

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

That moment when you realise your last 3 months worth of stats from the digital scale are wrong because it had you down as a 40 year old, 5'7 wumin :giggle1:

10. dmccourt95

Diets fell off a cliff past month or so, still exercising 3-4 times a week but even that’s just 20 minutes or so at a time and mailing it in. Need to get the finger out

11. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I'm a total of 3 stone down but have been off the diet for the past week...managed to maintain....need to get back on it....I've got 3 weeks until I see the surgeon again, so....I wee bit more off would no doubt help set a date for surgery.

buchanbhoy, neilly1987, Peej and 5 others like this.
  12. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    I walked past Greggs 3 times this week and didnae even go in

13. stew37

Anyone used the gym at City Park in Dennistoun at all and can confirm if it's any good, or if any other ones about there are worth a bash? Think there's one at Whitehill swimming pool as well.

14. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    It's quite small but ok ish. Whitehill is just the same. They are certainly not as large and well equipped as Tollcross or the Gorbals ect. I think it all depends on what you actually want to achieve. I use the gym just to maintain a level of fitness and to try and keep the weight down. One positive about the Glasgow Club gyms is that you don't get the steroid, mirror loving poser's and machine huggers like you do in some of the private gyms.

stew37 likes this.
  15. stew37

Is that the Glasgow Club one on Wellshot Road you mean? Had forgotten about that one actually, cheers.

16. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Yeh, that it. There's also a new GYM opening at the Forge Retail Park at they are offering an introduction price for £9.99 for the first six months however, there's no swimming pool there whereas Tollcross and the Gorbals have

17. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Getting a bike to cycle to and from work. Don't fancy cycling on the road tbh. Do the coppers go hardcore on people that cycle on the pavements? Fines and such?

18. stew37

Aye I just read about that one, think might have a look, quite cheap as well. Lack of the swimming pool doesn't really bother me, just the gym I'm looking to use.

Don't fancy the long term contracts so monthly is important to me. Been at gyms before on year contracts and they've been too busy to enjoy, even before covid etc. Was at JD in Maryhill for a while but it was mobbed when I stopped going.

19. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I'd been going to Tollcross for years but, like everyone else, had to stop due to Covid shutdown. I have still to renew my membership however, my wife's health hasn't been great lately so I have been caring for her. Hopefully once she gets her operations and, please *, is on the road to recovery, I can go back as I really miss it.

20. stew37

Fingers crossed for you mate, all the best.