1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cameron Carter-Vickers.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Cameron Carter-Vickers. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We can't make predictions yet.

Hes only 23. Could easily sign here for a couple years. If we win the league there's * no chance he rejects the chance of champions league football IMO with a world Cup coming up.

Hammy89, Dan Breen and NomDePlum like this.
  2. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I said the similar thing yesterday. He has a definite air of composure about him and., when he does decide to take the ball out of defence, he creates opportunities due to the space he creates for our forwards when their markers comes out to tackle him

3. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Would love to sign him permanently but I reckon Conte will want him back or a few EPL teams will be after him. The main thing that would get him to sign here is winning the league for the CL football.

4. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    He will be gone in the summer. Wages will be a stumbling block and with Jullien due to return I think the board will keep their money in the bank. Hope I’m totally wrong though.

5. Al Bootyerbaws

I said a month or two ago we should try and get a deal done for him straight away. He's been consistently solid since then and if we * about other teams will be sniffing around. Like people have said I also think he might want back down to the English Prem after this season.

6. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Didnt know he was born in UK and didnt know he was only 23, fk me hes had a hard paper round, thought he was about 28.

Heard him on radio today and did get the feeling I think a move is out, he didnt rule it out but the way he spoke I thought suggested otherwise.

Big man was outstanding yesterday, him or Calmac were my motm choices.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

ANGE Postecoglou has admitted that he sees Cameron Carter-Vickers, the Spurs centre half who has joined Celtic on loan this season, as being integral to his long-term plans for the Parkhead club and revealed officials will be speaking to the player about his future in the coming weeks.

United States internationalist Carter-Vickers has firmly established himself in Postecoglou’s first team since moving to Scotland on the final day of the summer transfer window back in August.

The 23-year-old has impressed supporters of the Glasgow giants with his committed and intelligent displays both at home and abroad and many are keen to see him to sign a permanent deal and remain in the East End.

The defender, who has played for no fewer than seven different clubs in the past four years, is out of contract at his parent club in 18 months’ time.

Postecoglou declined to reveal how much it will cost to trigger a release clause in his agreement with Spurs – figures ranging between £2.5m and £10m have been mentioned.

But the Greek-Australian coach, whose team take on St Johnstone in a cinch Premiership match at McDiarmid Park this afternoon, did confess that he is eager to see Carter-Vickers stay at Celtic beyond the 2021/22 campaign.

“He has become an important part of our team” he said. “Even though he is a young guy you just have to look at his playing experience. He has had three solid years playing in the Championship playing at good, strong clubs.

The Championship in England is a really tough competition, you don’t get through that without having some real quality in you. I looked at his track record and I knew we would be getting somebody with more experience than his age would suggest.

“That’s what’s proven to be. The beauty of that is he is only going to get better. And he wants that. He works hard every day, looks after himself and wants to be the best footballer he can be. I knew what I was getting, but it has turned out to be a real good move.”

Postecoglou added: “I wouldn’t have brought him in if I thought it was just a short-term thing.

“All the players we have brought in we have done so with some thought around building a team. Building a team means more than just 12 months. But as I said a lot of that depends on the player himself.

“Those discussions will happen over the next couple of months. I don’t speak to players about that. People will be well aware that our game schedule has meant that the focus has been on performances, playing well and getting the job done. There is a time and a place for that stuff.

“January gives us an opportunity to look at our squad again. We can have a think about what we want to do in this window and the windows beyond. Part of that discussion will be around players we have on loan and seeing what decisions we want to make on them.

“A lot of that will depend on the players themselves, if they are happy and want to stay here. We will get round to those discussions.”

Postecoglou revealed that he would have liked to have signed Carter-Vickers permanently in the summer, but had been unable to because of how late in the transfer window Celtic approached Spurs.

Thankfully for us we were able to get Cameron over the line at the last minute. It was a bit of a leap of faith for him because he didn’t have a lot of time to think about it. But I’m sure he would say now that it has been a great move for him. And it’s been a great move for the club.

“We didn’t have the time to do anything else. Like I said, it was really late in the piece and the logical thing for all parties was to do a loan or we wouldn’t have got the deal done.”

Rydo1888*, eire4 and Wee Baldy like this.
  8. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I thought his lack of height for a CH would be a hindrance when he signed for us however, he times his jumps well and usually wins the ball. He's also solid and always gives his all so, hopefully, we do manage to get him on a permanent deal.

9. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    You may well be right but I certainly hope your not. It would be a terrific signing if we got CCV signed on a long term deal this summer. We have to be making every effort possible to make that happen.

packybhoy likes this.
  10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I hear you on his lack of height for a center back and I worried about that too. But he is actually pretty good in the air defensively.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  11. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    So consistent, just need to find him a partner.
    Got to get this deal over the line, whatever it takes. Build defense around him, JH and Ralston, must be so reassuring for Ange when these are the first 3 names he scribbles onto team sheet.

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    This is how I see it too. He and Jota could easily leave us this summer for more lucrative offers.

packybhoy likes this.
  13. SkyeCelt

We just need to stop spunking wages on the likes of McCarthy and use them for the likes of CCV. Easier said than done though!

Dan Breen likes this.
  14. honda Gold Member Gold Member

He was an American youngster when signed, will he really be on that much? Tottenham paid Harry kane * all until recently let alone some unknown American. Wages won't be a problem imo.

15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    His wages won't be an issue at all. In the teens at best.

Maybe he would demand 20k off us, but that's * all when you consider the quality you are getting.

And be honest our starting 11 should be commanding those wages for the bulk of them (because they should be that good).

We just signed Joe Hartz an experienced keeper and former England number one. If we can afford his wages, we can afford CCV who's got to the age that is now considered too old to still be "young" but hasn't managed to make the break in to a spurs side.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Hart was a different situation and isn't comparable to Carter-Vickers though. Hart was cast aside by a couple of clubs and is at the tail end of his career. He could've had it easy and sat on the bench earning a higher wage, but he wanted to play football and get a challenge so he took a big pay cut to join us.

Carter-Vickers is coming into his peak years and is at the age where he'll likely be offered the most lucrative contracts he'll receive throughout his career. If we offer something like £20k a week, then it would be fairly easy for a club in a richer league to offer more.

I've no idea what his motivations are but I do hope he enjoys it here and wants to stay for a couple of seasons.

packybhoy likes this.
  17. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    If Jullien can make it back I think they would have good potential as a partnership.

The Phoenix and Dan Breen like this.
  18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Technically he is a US international yes but he was born in England and has lived his whole life there until moving to us. It is not like he was a kid growing up in the US that found his way over here.

Jordann likes this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Mr Diggler

Jota by all accounts is very keen to stay. CCV I haven't seen much about his circumstances but you would imagine being settled and playing week in week out and having European football would be a big draw for him. He has had a lot or loans so time to settle for him maybe.