1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite whiskey/whisky

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by KhingLarsson, Apr 3, 2011.

Discuss Favourite whiskey/whisky in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    If you have prime you can get the Founder's Reserve (I'm guessing that's the one you are talking about, rather than their Caribbean Reserve, though I could be wrong) for £20.99 from Amazon (Not Amazon Fresh though, it's £22 there for some weird reason).

Personally I don't think it's worth more than the £23, and there are plenty others I'd go to at around that price point first, but if you enjoy it I don't think you are going to be able to pick it up any cheaper than £20.99. If you don't have prime though ignore it, as the postage would bump the price up over what you could get it from tesco for.

2. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Got my annual bottle of Jamesons and opened it last night for a couple of cheeky ones. Just need to try find a keg of guinness from somewhere now as the cans are pish.

Half q of green already purchased, shaping up to be a lovely wee festive :yeah:

3. Pearse67*

Cant drink the stuff at all, sends me crazy.

4. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Rounding Christmas isolating off with an old pulteney 12, then into a couple of Balvenie 14 Caribbean cask. Merry Christmas troops

bagforlife likes this.
  5. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I hope you enjoyed them, and had a good Christmas. I've not had the Balvenie Caribbean cask for a while now, but used to really enjoy it and even their 12 doublewood.

Old Pulteney, again, I used to enjoy but stopped buying any of their whisky on principle after they "rebranded", which essentially meant dropping the ages of most of their range while massively increasing prices at the same time. The owners did the same with Balblair. So even theough the 12 is still reasonably priced I just won't give them the money. I dare say it is still a decent enough whisky though.

6. stew37

A bottle of Chivas Regal and one of Talisker were among my received gifts this year, as well as a voucher for Whisky tasting for two at the Pot Still. Never actually been in there but always knew they had a fair selection. Also got a few glasses this xmas, 2 Chivas Regal ones and a quadruple treble one. Sure I'll consume a fair few trebles before I'm back at work.

7. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I think you could safely say they have more than a fair selection, it's one of the best in Scotland, which considering the size of the pub (it's tiny) is pretty impressive. I'm sure you will enjoy that tasting!

stew37 likes this.
  8. scootz

Lagavulin

9. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    It's good, but it's not worth the current prices (£65-£70), and by all accounts they are going to making another substantial hike to their prices again in the new year. If you can find any deals on it at the sub £50 range (it's actual worth) I'd suggest stocking up a few bottles if you enjoy it.

10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I am with you there. There is always a bottle of Jameson sitting on my counter:60:

NakamuraTastic and Double Dutch like this.
  11. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    cheers mate hope you had a good one too! Yeah my mate works for the company that makes old pulteney (international beverage I think) so get a bottle from him for 15quid every now and then. Nice for an easy drink. I find balblair really tough to drink, got a 12yr just now and rarely go near it.

You’re a man in the know in this thread so just curious on your thoughts on spey chairman’s choice? Got a bottle in august and absolutely loved it.

NakamuraTastic and Lupis like this.
  12. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    To be honest I've never actually got around to trying anything from Speyside Distillery, so I can't give an opinion on it one way or another. I remember they gathered a bit of hype with their Tenne and Fumare releases a few years ago, but then just kind of slipped off my radar over the last few years.

I'll keep an eye out for it and give it a try if I see it in a pub. It's not one of the massively over hyped distilleries at the moment, so hopefully their prices should be relatively stable, for the time being at least. As much as any of them will be anyway.

13. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    fair dos, it’s a really nice easy drop and decent enough value. Worth a go if you’re looking for something at the 50quid mark

Lupis likes this.
  14. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Bushmills is gorgeous

15. PaddyBhoy-1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Scotch? Macallan! Also Glenrothes is very nice too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Forza 67

I got bottles of Ardbeg and Laphroaig quarter cask over Christmas, both good tipples, Bulliet bourbon is great value, £18 on Amazon right now.

NakamuraTastic, Lupis and Doogs. like this.
  17. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Say less my man :50:

Lupis and Forza 67 like this.
  18. Gurru 991

I'm a newbie in the world of Whisky and I'm enjoying the tasting process
    I just bought a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 year old. I had a drink last night and really enjoyed it !

Attached Files:

19. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I don't have a huge amount of experience with Irish whiskey, is that their original, 10 or the black bush? I've not tried any Bushmills yet, so I'm curious which you prefer.

20. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Just to let you know, in case you have one nearby, Waitrose have Lagavulin 16 for £49 at the moment, which is about as close to it's actual worth as you are likely to find it these days. in my opinion it just isn't worth the £65+ it is selling for most places now.

scootz likes this.