1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Spoiler Alert] Film reviews and ratings

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Fancy Pants, Apr 1, 2009.

Discuss Film reviews and ratings in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Freedom Writers - Excellent watch.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Last Night In Soho ...................8/10

Good movie with a cracking soundtrack.

stew37 and Taz like this.
  3. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Two * recommended it to me but I had one look at the preview on Netflix and said * that

Wllm likes this.
  4. Mr. Slippyfist

You made a good choice…

5. Bonobhoy

Prisoners

Must be the 6th time now i watched this.....Outstanding movie.

Jake Gyllenhall is fantastic in this as is Hugh Jackman,but Paul Dano absolutely steals the movie with his performance in this.

Im glad after 8 years its actually getting more attention now and classed as one of the best thrillers made.

10/10

Jacob knows, Taz and Valhalla like this.
  6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Cannot * wait to see Dano as The Riddler.

7. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    House of Gucci…utter *.

to be fair i knew nothing of the story before going to see it so I don’t know if the performances are hammy or they were like that in real life.

I know it’s a hollywood film so need to speak English but the “italian” accents are off-putting (why not just do similar to Chernobyl and speak with their own accents)

Lady gaga sounds russian by the end of the film and Jared Leto borders on the offensive with a performance right out a dolmio advert :56: 4/10

8. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Generally speaking, have to agree with @Jax Teller here, re House of Gucci. :38:

I feel like the film would've been better served to focus more on the downfall and the murder itself, rather than the drawn out drama that is presented here, which seriously could've been trimmed by a half an hour. Setting aside the decision to have the cast affect Italian accents, which can be debated for or against, but the performances of Lady Gaga, Jeremy Irons, Al Pacino and even Adam Driver's themselves were fine but Jared Leto completely misses the tone. This is not for the first time either.

The thing is, these are real people and as they were all followed/covered extensively by paparazzi & news etc, and as such there is no shortage of material for actors to study and perfect the characters etc, so there is no excuse for how badly missing the mark Leto did here. His efforts to try and be the comic relief is illjudged, misconcieved and its delivery is downright insulting.

scootz and Jax Teller like this.
  9. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    Not knowing the real life people i did wonder if Leto’s performance was justified but the more im hearing it wasn’t. Comically bad at points. Like he was reading from the big book of offensive stereotypes. He was a whisker away from “issa me a mario” :56:

Editing was bizzare also. Tone was all over the place, too much time was spent establishing the 2 main characters initially falling in love, but only a few minutes of them supposedly falling out. Which made the hitman stuff a little jarring.

Taz likes this.
  10. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Primal Fear. Excellent film. I hadn’t ever seen it. Ed Norton at his best .

11. Bonobhoy

Great movie,seen it many times over the years.

The ending was stunning,and for Nortons first movie he was incredible.

Have you seen "The Score" ? DeNiro and Norton.....again Norton is fantastic in it,heist movie.

Jacob knows and Slaw like this.
  12. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

I gave up quarter of the way through that. The Rock is supposedly the most bankable star in Hollywood the now and I genuinely don't know why because i'm struggling to think of a decent film he's been in.

Taz likes this.
  13. stew37

Antlers 6.5 Bearable horror movie.

14. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That's a fair assessment. Better ideas than it is executed, but the potential is there.

15. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    Richard Jewell. 9/10. True story about the security guard that noticed the bomb just before it went off at the Olympics in U.S.A. Then got accused of planting the bomb to look like a hero. Sam Rockwell as his lawyer is as good as ever. Good performances all round tho

16. stew37

Aye, I really liked the opening scenes especially, and there were some creepy moments but didn't materialise into as good a film as it could have been I thought.

Taz likes this.
  17. Al Bootyerbaws

Aye that is a good film. * terrible the way they treated that guy.

Zanderama likes this.
  18. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    Think he died when he was about 47 years old from a heart attack. Surprised he never died before that, with the amount of * they * put him and his Mum through

19. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions obviously, and I respect your opinions, but am curious if you could expand on this, because I think we must've been sitting through two very different films.

I struggle to understand why this movie even exists. Not that I am saying that what happened to Richard Jewell should've, because it shouldn't, but why if it was such an important story to tell why wait 25 years after the event to tell it, why wait til years after the guy died? Apart from being right wing propaganda, what is it saying?

Seriously, how does it even begin the comparison with films that deal with real miscarraiges of justice, considering Jewell was never kept in custody, not even one single night, compared to those that have spent decades and even ben executes for crimes that they did not commit, and that is even before delving into the many flas of the film, most especially the writing, which is just garbage.

This was my diatribe/review re this movie:

https://www.talkceltic.net/forums/threads/film-reviews-and-ratings.50380/page-768#post-6619444

So am curious as to any opposing opinions, because maybe there is something I'm not getting that you guys are and if there is, would very much like to be enlightened, but from my own perspective I really am struggling to appreciate what it is.

Zanderama likes this.
  20. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    I'm not sure @Taz . I'd never heard of the guy or the Olympic bombing before watching the film. Wasn't until after I watched it I read up about it and watched some stuff on it. I liked the film, and the actors etc. Made me feel sorry for him, which I think was the purpose of the film, or "wrongly accused" type film. I understand what you mean tho. There are far better films based on true storys of injustice, I get that. I went into this film without knowing anything about it, and enjoyed it. Not sure if any film based on a true story has ever been accurate, but it was a decent wee story that I'd never heard of