1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James McCarthy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Gioventu, Aug 3, 2021.

Discuss James McCarthy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    We let brown go and brought him in. Brown's career is winding down but he's still more mobile than this guy.hes so slow in everything he does, I'd play soro before him.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Mince.Charming and Damnati like this.
  2. James Gold Member Gold Member

I actually thought he was really good second half first half he was non existent

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  3. alex_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys Of The Old Brigade
    Thought he did a decent job recycling the ball but didn’t break much up - tackles like he doesn’t want to get his socks dirty..

Dan Breen and martin_d like this.
  4. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    I thought he was ok, hopefully he gets more game time to get him match fit.

Wee Baldy and Artorias like this.
  5. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Seen a few encouraging signs from him today. Few very good passes, kept the midfield ticking and moving.

For me it is clear as day he is nowhere near at the fitness level required yet. As mentioned he looks very slow and not game for the physical battle but that'll be something that'll come with fitness.

Think with McCarthy we will need to be patient to see the best of him. Look at how much Bitton has come on with decent game time. Don't see any reason why McCarthy wouldn't improve with continued minutes too

Wee Baldy likes this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    How many headers did he win in there btw, didn’t expect that. Strolled it, linked up well with McGregor and his play for the 2nd goal was class. Keep it up, we get him upto his best he’s a * pler.

Wee Baldy and martin_d like this.
  7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Gave me hope for the first time today. If he just looked up to his right he would have seen some wide open players. Looking better. Encouraging.

NomDePlum and Wee Baldy like this.
  8. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Can see both sides of the discussion with this guy. He’s quite obviously miles off it physically, but there’s not a lot of evidence of actual long-term decline. To me, it looks more like ring rust.

His tackling ability is hard to analyse as I think he’s still playing like a guy who expects to get injured. If that’s all it is, it’s just psychological, and could be ironed out with time. Mobility and aggression aside, the rest of his game looks ok; not even necessarily ‘good’, but certainly ‘ok’ - a basis on which to build.

I don’t really see any reason that - with game time and increased fitness and sharpness - he couldn’t push on and be at least a reliable squad option for us. It’s all a big ‘if’ until he makes those steps but.

9. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Thought he did ok today. Nothing spectacular but won his fare share of balls in the air and picked out a few good passes. Still not up to speed but maybe he will get there with a few more games under his belt

Liam Scales likes this.
  10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Played well I thought.

I was sitting thinking earlier, he’s not the first and won’t be the last Premiership midfielder (with huge pedigree) to come to Celtic and struggle. I know he played and came through this league but the lack of time you get on the ball in the Scottish Prem must be a sharp culture shock.

I think/hope he’ll get there though, he still needs minutes in his legs never mind anything else.

ArturBorucCSC likes this.
  11. Lewis Kerr

Made a great pass for the goal but the pace he plays the game at is frighteningly slow.

Dan Breen likes this.
  12. CountyDownFaithful

Done well today IMO.

13. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Its why I think McGregor could play at any level, rarely concedes possession, even when it's hectic

PaulM1888 likes this.
  14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He's got to speed it up and also start to look forward. Did the safe pass one too many times and it just let Aberdeen get back in and shuffle over.

If you need 3 or 4 touches before looking up then you're not going to be a successful CM for us.

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Got quicker and quicker as the game went on though, he’s rusty, he’s slowly but surely getting back to it. His play for the 2nd goal was * brilliant.

Him linking up with McGregor I loved, really brought out Callum’s attacking threat.

16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I duno if I'd agree with that.

There was a point at about 75mins ish in were Aberdeen had pushed up, we've and McCarthy gets it on the edge of our box as we try to break. Man in space bursting down the left (can't remember if it was Jota or MJ at that point) and McCarthy took 4 touches before eventually getting it out his feet and playing the pass, by then most of the Aberdeen were back in position.

Against these teams that sit in, we need to be quick on the break and I haven't seen it yet from McCarthy.

There was also a time 2nd half where he picked it up 10 yards in their half, no-one immediately pressing, he looks up, turns back and plays it back to CCV. Just came across as shirking responsibility. If you're a CM you've got to drive there, commit players.

17. Foley1888

Baring his pass for the second goal, he was very ponderous on the ball to the extent he made Starfelt look comfortable on the ball at times.

He wasn’t the only one but more dynamic and quick thinking midfielders would transform our play as there is so much good early movement from Kyogo and others that fails to be spotted and a quality ball played.

Another thing that is evident is how restrained our press is with the exception of Kyogo. He shuts down so well but there is too big a gap between him doing this and those behind him. More energy and effectiveness from our two wingers and at least 2 of the 3 centre mids would make a big difference.

18. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I was a bit hyped up when he signed, but im not sure what he offers tbh. He's just there.

19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    100% a Desmond suggestion.

No doubt the twistg tashed * thinks these sort of signings is getting the fans on board and is doing us the favour as well.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

20. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Thought he was alright and showed some glimpses of promise yesterday - particulary in the 2nd half. Still not sure where (or if) he will fit in under Ange as I feel like he will be wanting more speed and skill in that midfield to play the football he wants.