1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Anthony Ralston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CalgaryBhoy, May 12, 2016.

Discuss Anthony Ralston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Yeh, I thought he was ok last night even although he was partly to blame for one of their goals. I think it's some of the players around him we should be questioning i.e. Abada for his half hearted tackle after loosing the ball, players not pressing, poor passing and loosing the ball too easily. He runs his heart out for the team and puts in good solid challenges whereas some of our players can hide during games i.e. Turnbull

2. BigDoggyWoofWoof

Like everyone I've got a soft spot for Ralston, but his lack of technical ability has been repeatedly exposed in European competition. He's good enough for an SPFL level but not that level. I'd be happy to see him in rotation alongside a more skilled RB but he shouldn't be starting those big games.

3. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Think it's a bit harsh. He'll learn from that against top opposition. Still has the engine to get forward in the 95th minute and pick out turnbull for that chance. He's still very inexperienced at that top level and given his all round performances this season he deserved the start in those games. Never going to truly develop unless he gets those tests imo. That said a new lb would be nice so we have healthy competition between Juranovic and ralston at rb

Tommy25 and NomDePlum like this.
  4. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    This * really does my * in. Lack of technical ability!!! In the last decade how many Celtic RBs have more technical ability than Ralston? Lustig yes. Who else?

Anyone mentions Frimpong they can * right off. Run fast in a straight line was his special skill. Technical ability. Nope.

Juranovic the single time he's been RB had no technical ability. Too small too.

Matthews is probably the other possible bench mark.

Who am I missing? Kenny, Toljan, Janko, Hendry!!!

Mince.Charming and Tommy25 like this.
  5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Think he has more goals and assists than anyone outwith Lustig who played 250 odd games I think. His passing is better than anybody’s on that list btw.

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Take deep breaths mate.

Dan Breen and NomDePlum like this.
  7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It is true though, a lot of his technical play gets overlooked because how much he’s all blood and guts, early on the game last night he got sold short on a pass and deftly chipped it over the opposing players leg to draw in the foul, or get by him if he doesn’t get sold the dummy. Wee * like that is technical play, and when Calmac does it I * myself silly over it :56:

Tommy25 likes this.
  8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

You’re being * ridiculous now. You’re another post away from dismissing Juranovic as a dud because he had one poor game at right back.

He had no technical ability the one time he played right back for us. What the * does that even mean?:giggle1:

He’s displayed his technical ability plenty of times at LB for us and as the starting right back for a quality international team.

And the height thing is yet another stupid argument to make. Most full backs aren’t powerful guys who win loads of headers.

Oh, and Frimpong is light years ahead of Ralston as a player. And anyone who would suggest otherwise is at it.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Frimpong is and will be, but so far, Ralston’s been a lot more dangerous and has made more impact. Frimpong’s got a much higher ceiling than he does there’s no doubt but I’d also say the same with Ntcham compared to McGregor or Samaras rather than Hooper.

Players that have that bit extra effort and guts are worth there weight in gold for us. It’s rarer than those with incredible ability, attitude is something that can’t be taught.

10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Put Frimpong in this team and he’d be phenomenal.

Frimpong started his Celtic career like a house on fire. As has been said countless times, he stagnated and regressed under a clown of a manager and coaching team who were unable to develop him in his time here.

And there were no problems with his attitude. He had the attitude and ability.

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I’ve no doubt he would, also think we’d be a lot worse at set pieces with Frimpong in the side and not Ralston.

He absolutely doesn’t have the attitude towards defending that Ralston has, it’s an afterthought for the wee man. His passing’s also not up to the same level as Ralston’s, not his style but him linking up in this team with the likes of Jota (when he moves to the right) would be different gravy. I’m by no means downplaying Frimpong as a player. I just think there’s different aspects that Ralston brings that are essential for us just now.

And see when he started like a house on fire? How does his end product stack up to Ralstons just now?

NomDePlum likes this.
  12. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Frimpongs ability in the middle third was superb with us but his capabilities in both boxes were quite limited. From what I seen over both games against Leverkusen, his ability in these sections hasn’t improved that much.

Juranovic gave him free reign on the right all night and his end product didn’t stack up. Jota had him on strings at the back again.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    And he sold a goal, defending for Jota’s goal wasn’t impressive at all. He’s got a lot of ability and is young but he has a lot of faults as well, they’ll get coached out the older he gets but he’ll never be a defender that enjoys defending.

Tommy25 likes this.
  14. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Thought he was excellent again.

15. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

What a guy

Liam Scales likes this.
  16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye he was top class today..

His long diagonals were on point and one of them was after he took it off Hedges as well..

Rydo1888* and Liam Scales like this.
  17. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Great strength on the ball and he knows how to pick a pass.

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bit in the first half he completely outmuscled one of there elbow throwers up top, skint him, outpaced him, turned back because of lack of options and done a pinpoint crossfield pass over to Jota. Somepoint * are going to stop with the nae technique patter honest to *.

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye it was Hedges mate. That was the same one that Jota took down on the chest..

Played another cracker just after that Jota couldn't control..

Liam Scales likes this.
  20. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Unlucky with the header that came off the bar too. Excellent today.