1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Am I the only one who thinks that Ange was well justified to try and extend the lead and put the game to bed?

I honestly see nothing wrong with it and welcome it.

For me, it doesn't point to fault with Ange, but the reality that our "rebuild" is nowhere near complete.

MAP, The_Bhoy, Rydo1888* and 6 others like this.
  2. KingArtur'1

Needs to learn when to see a game out imo.

3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's similar to when we had key players out earlier in the season.

I love the style and get that we/he wants to just always go for the win and the goal.
    But at times, circumstances do mean you need to be a little more cautious and pragmatic about things.

With kyogo and McGregor out, we lacked a lot of press and drive from the middle to forward - the full backs coming in to support without having support themselves in the form of pressing from the front, meant they got caught out all too much. Added to the fact they was unsure of the setup at the time.
    The ideal situation would have been to reduce the inverted full back option a little.

Same goes for things like Betis game and last night. It would make sense while we are still in a rebuild and we all know the players at hand aren't at the level Ange needs, that a more cautious approach is taken when we do have results in our favour.

Otherwise it will cost us at times.

It is something we seemingly are going to need to accept, but it doesn't mean we can't have a wee rant (because it's clearly an issue).
    But I'm still with you on the fact that we are willing and capable of taking the game to these teams and I love it.
    I just hope Ange is learning from the issues and is then going to address them as quick as possible come the transfer window.

For me, the difference last night was the lack of a central midfielder able to support McGregor more and help out in the defensive side and ability to turn the defending in to an attack.
    Second to that was general defensive naivety again, which needs to be coached. So I get Ange isn't big on that aspect, but he's got to surely realise the current players (and likely level of future ones) are going to be some way off the level of opponent we come up against in Europe, so they will need coached to be defending better in situations.

It's be mad if Ange continued to neglect things like that, just as it was mad managers before him did.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Sean Daleer and LectersLuncheon like this.
  4. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    The guy doesny know how to defend a lead.

George Theodorou likes this.
  5. Maestro 08

Abada was the wrong call, not because he was an attacker but because he's hopeless. For their winner we had enough men back they were all just ball watching instead of marking. The state of Abada and McCarthy for their 3rd letting the guy pick the ball up inside our box for the assist. They weren't long on so no excuse.

6. Mr Cleansheets

Abada looked good when he first arrived. * knows what's happened to him.

Still very young so has plenty of time to come good again. Hope he isn't reading this forum.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. saltire78

Lads, they subbed on 2 players who are supposed to have transfer values of about £20-25M combined, we brought on 2 youths, a free transfer and a player we're actively trying to dump - 2 of whom are constant injury issues. It speaks to differing squad strengths.

Yes it's disappointing that we lost out the way we did, but if we'd kept Jota, Kyogo and Forrest on and any of them had gotten injured ahead of our next few fixtures everyone would be screaming blue murder. Similarly if they'd then gone on to be completely ineffective in next 2 games because they were exhausted.

Annoying to bleed out, but not entirely sure what we expect Ange to do with the cards he's been dealt, other than persevere like he has

9. saltire78

He's a youth project, with massive potential, but constant usage will hinder rather than help. Feels like his confidence is slipping - probably in face of seeing Forrest ease him out. Not particularly unusual for a kid. Think we're going to have to be patient with him, and seriously reel in expectations Vs what it looked like when he arrived

10. saltire78

Managed just fine against the Hungarian crowd... Eaten bread and all that, I suppose

11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

What the * are you talking about?

12. jambo_cfc

Encouraging to hear that he knew the subs didnt have an impact , previously managers avoided blaming themselves or there decisions so its actually good to have a manager to take notice and hopefully learns from this and addresses it in January. Could see a winger coning in on January aswell as a cm and striker

13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It was frustrating but if you had told me before the game that's how things would turn out I would have taken it..

We were close, the squad just lacks that bit of quality..

January, so important.

Win the league and we will honestly surprise a few in the Champions League..

However, there's work to be done before we can even contemplate that, we'll likely be 7pts behind a, poor Hun side when we play Aberdeen on Sunday..

Europe is a bonus this season..

LectersLuncheon, The_Bhoy and Peej like this.
  14. john2061

He will only get away with results like that another couple of games to be 2-1 up with eight minutes to go and lose it was criminal and he knows now the bench isnt good enough and to do this again in another game in the future the support won't be forgiving .
    Taking Jota off I was shaking my head at that decision .

George Theodorou likes this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou insists Celtic 's painful Europa League exit has cemented his need to hit the January transfer market.

The manager says his fires are fuelled to take his team to the next level.

And he's adamant he’ll use the next window to secure the quality needed to speed that process.

Postecoglou knows he must further strengthen his squad and the planning is well underway.

The Celtic gaffer has identified targets to capture in the New Year and work is already progressing behind the scenes to get deals done.

Postecoglou knows it’s vital as he said: “There is no doubt. We are still just four or five months into building a team and it was never going to happen in one transfer window.

“We know that we need more depth and players in certain areas that I think can help us to bridge the gap.

“You look at the Leverkusen side and they have quality all the way through.

“What we want to do is be able to compete at that level and we need to continue to look to improve our squad and add depth so that we can compete in lots of competitions.”

When it was mentioned that January can be a notoriously tough time to acquire real top-class talent, Postecoglou offered a tantalising response for fans as he just said: “Maybe...maybe not. Let’s just see.”

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Music to my ears :35::35::35:

17. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Im in total agreement with you here. Folk jump on the bandwagon far too easily and it * me right off. You have to remember what Ange has had to do since he's got here. A massive turnaround has been required....in everything.....players...formation....tactics.....our actual style of play.....its all had to change and change takes time.

You also have to remember that Bayer Leverkusen are a good team....a better team than we are and more often than not they'd be expected to beat us. This does not have to be the case forever, we can and should compete on their level, but we have to give Ange time without jumping down his throat at every bad result.

It really gets on ma *....one week everyone is praising him to the high heavens and the next week they're slagging his tactics and questioning his ability. Back the manager ffs.

18. Lewis Kerr

I'm so * in!

January will be huge. We'll know either way the true aspirations of the board. I'm terrified they won't back him still

19. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Love it. Him bringing subs on and then actually doing * has helped out. If they’d come on and we grinded a win with another 30 saves the board could maybe say “look at these results though…we don’t need anyone” whereas ange has fully outed them there saying he’ll want quality in January. All for it

20. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Totally agree. A lot of us didn't even expect a europa group stage run when we got alkmaar in the playoff. How we are putting in performances like that at this level with the rebuild that has gone on is astonishing. Ange isn't going to get everything right but surely it can't be denied how far we've come and the potential there is here. We've been a bad decision or two at the back away from two huge results in spain and Germany. If we sat back all game we wouldve been picked off by these teams anyway so it's not the tactics