1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Bayer Leverkusen 3 - 2 Celtic

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JC Anton, Nov 21, 2021.

Discuss Bayer Leverkusen 3 - 2 Celtic in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CFC.1

It was the subs that * us last night. The actual depth of squad we have is a joke.

Not enough legs through the midfield 3 aswell, get overran far too easily at times

2. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Slept on it and to be honest I don’t think many of us would have thought we would lose 3-2 with a late winner from Leverkusen before the game. I personally thought we would lose by a couple, so in that respect, it’s encouraging that we led them for a large part of the game after going a goal down, especially after the home result. It’s disappointing losing two pretty sloppy goals, and think we can all agree it was the subs that * it. But I don’t blame Ange for that, we know we are thin on the ground in some key areas and I think with bitton going off (played well and I usually can’t stand him!) and McCarthy coming on was the point we lost it. Taking a step back and comparing the shambles Ange came into and where we are now, it’s clear we have progressed. If he’s backed in January, I have no doubt we will win the league, which is our priority this season.

3. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Missed the inverted FBs last night. Far more traditional set up last night. You can argue about whether it's effective in every game but it does upset and surprise European opponents.

4. JamesM09

Absolutely no chance IMO.

Immediately after the game maybe we would’ve ignored it. Come the weekend we’d all be raging that key players picked up a knock and if we dropped points in the next few games we’d be back in a crisis.

We can’t be sure of anything but losing Rogic at home to Livingston with no one to come in almost certainly cost us 2 points.

People are very guilty of not looking ahead here. We are woefully under equipped for the task ahead and to be honest Ange has been fairly up front about it.

I wanted to win the game last night but being able to take it easy against Betis and getting players off without injury is a blessing in disguise. Bigger picture, folks.

NomDePlum and AussieGreek like this.
  5. AussieGreek

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Good point that last bit. Definitely wanted us to win but we can now/or should now play a completely weakened 11.....or try somethings out..

Hart

Juranovic
    Welsh
    Murray
    Scales

Bitton
    Soro

Abada
    Mikey
    Montgomery

Giakoumakis

No convinced he will play a second string but hopefully does..

7. McKagan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ralston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go home ya huns
    Feel Ange undid most of his good work in a couple of insane decisions - taking jota off at all, then the rest of the attack all at once 2 minutes later! We completely fell apart and couldn't keep the ball. Also maybe the best goalie performance I've ever seen for us from Hart, up there with Marshall.

George Theodorou likes this.
  8. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Hart was great last night but it was nowhere near Forster vs Barca

9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

He was protecting his best 3 assets for the game at the weekend. Good management if it had worked.

craigtheceltic and Heb Celt like this.
  10. McKagan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ralston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go home ya huns
    It didn't work, and don't think he needed to do it, certainly not in that manner - Forrest yes, Jota no, Kyogo later

George Theodorou and Wee Baldy like this.
  11. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I've seen that interview of Ange where he talks about his playing days and philosophy, but I still wish he'd at least say: board, get me a defense coach.

No doubt we put up a fight last night, but defending our own penalty box is just one of many things we suck at.

12. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Played well last night. I feel like we are onto something big.

Conference League final here we come. Where am I booking flights to?

honda likes this.
  13. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Absolutely agree ! It was as though he had disregarded all the effort the players had put in up to that stage in the game. Some might say it was a betrayal of their efforts.
    If I was Jota or Kyogo coming off knowing who was going to replace me after all I had given in the game I would be very * off ! The team needed to be rewarded for their efforts in the game. They needed to be acknowledged from Ange on the touchline by the decision he made regarding when to sub players. If they are going to bust a gut on that field that needs to be rewarded with maintaining the lead or at least coming away with a 2-2 draw. Otherwise the team ends up psychologically devastated . Players do not go out there looking to lose a game with 8 minutes to go. Play well but play smart - no disgrace in that. All great teams have done this and led by reknowned coaches as well. Juventus, Ajax, Leeds etc.

Ange wants to be innovative and uncompromising with players who are valued at 3 mill on average against teams who have players valued on average at 15 to 20 mill each.

14. AussieGreek

Jota and Kyogo coming off had nothing to do with the goals we conceded which were caused by bad defensive errors. MJ and Ajeti literally had a job to do for 15 minutes and they should’ve been good enough to carry it out with the hype MJ gets from people in here and the price tag that Ajeti came in for.

some mental takes in here and many goal posts being shifted.

3-2 away from home in a game we had no right in winning and no major injuries. Really not much to complain about. In fact, it makes me excited for the January transfer window.

Peej likes this.
  15. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I'm still gutted with that result last night but feel a bit more reflective this morning. We have improved under Ange and nobody can deny that however, looking at our subs last night, it's blatantly obvious that we are still desperately short of a few players. We need a good back up keeper (as we would be back in the * if anything happened to Hart), a midfielder who has the legs and skill to carry the ball from box to box, and a big strong CF. Hopefully we get big Julien back soon but we are still short of height at the back and will continue to loose goals to set pieces and crosses so, perhaps we could also look to be signing a big strong CH. Abada just doesn't do it for me (but he's still young and could improve under Ange), MJ flatters to deceive and, as I said last night, McCarthy used to be a good player. Hopefully the board back the manager in January

16. saltire78

* you talking about man? We were 2-1 up when all the subs were made... And as for the idea of a player telling the manager/coach whether or not they play/leave the field? That's just * ridiculous

Peej likes this.
  17. scootz

I don't know what to think Bhoys. Yes, we look better going forward and the goalie is an upgrade, but the rest really ain't pretty.

What's clear is that we don't have much depth - the Manager must be backed in the next transfer window... and we can judge him fully at the end of the season.

18. murphy88

I said before the game it was a free hit in my opinion, so I can certainly see the bigger picture. However, after playing a full strength team and doing the hard work to get ourselves back in with a fighting chance of progressing, I just wouldn’t have taken off all the front three as soon as he did, it defeats the purpose of going full strength to begin with. We might as well have rested all of them completely. That’s what I was annoyed about. I worry the manner of the defeat last night could hurt our momentum for the game on Sunday, then the decision to take all of them off looks a disaster.

The lack of strength in depth I’m sick to death bringing it up. The board have Ange working with one arm tied behind his back at present.

19. JamesM09

It won’t hurt their momentum. If anything it will hurt the subs but the first team players that came off and those that started will consider themselves as winners of that game.

20. murphy88

No they won’t. We win as a team, and lose as a team. The subs that came off last night will not have taken comfort from the fact we were winning when they got replaced, and I wouldn’t want them to have that attitude either.