1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Josip Juranovic

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by GavCFC1, Aug 21, 2021.

Discuss Josip Juranovic in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lewis Kerr

A strange player.

Technically he's very good. Capable of some class touches and passes, but he's also slack as *. Today wasn't the first time I've noticed it either. Gives the ball away far too often.

2. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It might be harsh but that doesn't means it's not accurate.

I'm not even saying he's not a good player just that he shouldn't automatically get to play as he's Croatian. It should be based on performance.

My feeling is if Juranovic had played well against Ross County he might be the established RB now and Ralston might have found out how difficult it is to play LB. But he didn't and he is were he is on his performances, some of which have been very decent. But Ralston has been our best performer this season.

I just am not convinced Juranovic should be our regular LB never mind RB at present as he has had enough poor or ineffective games. I'd normally expect that to be against packed defences but that wasn't tonight. Basically I'm getting less sure of him not more and for me he still has a bit to demonstrate to support his apparent pedigree.

No1 on any penalty obviously.

3. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Said it better than I have (several times tonight).

4. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Getting less convinced of that.

Also think his lack of height is a real issue in our backline. Felt like that was utilised against us tonight. Obviously it would also be more of a handicap if he was on the right.

5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He's largely been pretty good at LB, with a couple of standout performances thrown in. Tonight he was poor but it's moronic to use it as a stick to beat him with. And he's still a far better option there than any other left back at the club.

As I've said, he needs a run at right back.

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It's mental he has a battle to be first choice RB, and fair play to Ralston but think we'll sign a LB in January and Juranovic will make RB his own.

Fontaine and NomDePlum like this.
  7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Definitely shouldn't get picked just because he plays for his country...but it is a good indicator (in this case) of his quality..

He's still new to the club, country and system, yet still we can see his quality shining through in most game's in an unfamiliar position..

As has been mentioned, he should be fighting it out with Tony for that right back spot. That is what we want....competition for place's. Now we've one right back who doesn't have competition and the other right back playing left back with again...zero competition..

It's the elephant in the room but I've said it for a while now, Boli should be our left back until we bring someone in in January. I know it won't happen as he's been bombed out but he's our best left back at present..

McKagan, JC Anton and NomDePlum like this.
  8. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Not convinced we will sign a LB in January. I would play Juranovic in Europe and against the Huns at LB but think he isn't suited for quite a lot of SPL games at LB. He struggles too often to break those sides down and isn't adapting.

To be first choice RB he needs to do that on performances, he's not come close to doing that for me. Ralston wasn't great today but was still better and generally looks to be working on his game.

JC Anton likes this.
  9. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I agree he we should consider who our LB is longer term. Don't see us buying one in January.

He can then compete with Ralston, which I agree is healthy but he's firmly second in line for me now. But plenty of games left to change that :50:

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    What makes you think we won't sign a left back, Taylor getting a new deal?

I think with Boli being frozen out, Scales no trusted and Montgomery no ready....we clearly will. Unless he wants to go with probably our best right back at left back for a full season...which I think would be mad..

11. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Taylor signing is part of it but pretty much down to Ange being as attack minded a coach as they come. Defense will always be lower down the priority.

Keep on saying it but not anywhere close to being convinced Juranovic is our best RB or LB option, other than for certain games :39:

12. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just was sloppy. We are not seeing the real him, playing him out of position.

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Maestro 08

I would expect someone who is lauded for his technical ability to be able to adapt a bit better to playing LB than he currently is. That pass that nearly put them in for a goal... there's no excuse and it wasn't the first time in that game and this season he has made an * of it.

15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It's difficult to judge Juranovic as a RB as he hasn't played there and that's absolute credit to Ralston who's made himself difficult to leave out the side.. And if he can continue to improve then who knows where it can take him and us.. He keeps fighting until the end and nearly had an assist right at the death.

Juranovic has done OK at LB but for the way Ange wants to play we need dangerous crosses into the box from both wings and Juranovic's left foot can't provide that.

I think we'll definitely sign a LB in January who will share that berth with Taylor (who executes Ange tactics well) the fact we're having to play a RB at LB is a weakness in the system and surely one of the areas Ange talks about needing strengthened. Will be disappointed if we don't.

Adding a quality LB, will allow rotation in both full back positions which is essential as Ange asks so much of them.

craigtheceltic and NomDePlum like this.
  16. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Will be surprised if we buy a LB in January. Can only see it happening if Boli is sold. That's not feeling too likely.

Crosses in are important. Ralston is obviously working on that aspect of his game plus his ability to play accurate balls to forwards are some of the reasons I think Juranovic is the one needing to compete for the RB slot longer term.

JC Anton likes this.
  17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We can't really say who's the better option at RB as Juranovic hasn't played there for us much..

Competition for places is essential for any good side and both should relish the challenge.

Let's wait and see what Jan brings..

NomDePlum likes this.
  18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I think replacing Ralston for Juaranovic and having Taylor or something in at the left makes us significantly worse at the thing we concede the most from, defending in the air.

McGrory1888 likes this.
  19. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Tbh, i wont judge him as whole before i see him play in the right position. Sure we can judge him playing out of position but for that he should get some slack tbh.

20. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The thing that concerns me most about Juranovic at the moment is nothing positional and it’s not even that he’s slack in possession. The amount of tackles that he backs out of or goes in half hearted, he makes Taylor look like a warrior.

Dan Breen likes this.