1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I take from his comments that, rightly, a DOF should be placed behind a rethink of the scouting and sports science departments in the queue.

Immediate concern is short term recruitment and current squad care then we can start to think about putting together a more solid infrastructure moving forward.

Falls in line with his methodical approach and let’s be honest, he appears to be the one with the biggest clue currently employed by the club from boardroom down. If it were left to Bankier and his motley crew it would be * before elbow as per.

JML67, Hammy89 and greengrocer like this.
  2. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Have a look back. Almost every * was disgusted with the idea :56:

3. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    All going to come together now :57:

Laughable though that a few months ago we had individuals wanting McKay to actually bin Ange :56:

4. AussieGreek

A good read:

Ange Opens Celtic’s Psychological Warfare Campaign Against Our Rivals

Ange Postecoglou is not a man who ever passes up an opportunity. It was there in the words at his first fan presser; this is a man who will seek out every advantage that he can to defeat an opponent, and that, I would presume, includes psychological warfare.

Today at the press conference for the Leverkusen game, we saw him again deftly slap down a journalist for asking an irrelevant question. He wanted the focus to be on our club. But when he was asked about Connor Goldson’s comments at the weekend he didn’t wave that aside as none of his business. He seemed almost keen to take that particular issue on.

When asked if Celtic players have the hunger for honours, he gave it both barrels.

“Unfortunately and fortunately – whatever way you want to put it – when you join this football club, that’s what you are signing up for,” he said. “You are not just signing up to play for a club that has great standing and has great support, you are signing up to be just that: to be hungry for success. Because if you are not, you won’t last here.”

And that is a timely and deadly intervention from him, because he knows that there are players in the dressing room across the city who are smarting at being called out like that by Goldson and by asserting that this is a requirement at Celtic he is widening the cracks in the squad over there. He knew exactly what he was doing in taking that question on.

Keep reading - https://thecelticblog.com/2021/11/a...ological-warfare-campaign-against-our-rivals/

tarboltontim likes this.
  5. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

He speaks so well in every interview. Ruthless with the press without coming across as easily irritable.

Really looking forward to seeing what we can do in January.

bagforlife likes this.
  6. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Theres very little evidence of that on the early pages.

There are lots of people disgusted by the board for * around for so long and disgusted at the prospect of Kennedy and Strachan staying. In the first few pages of this thread there were only a few people stating it was a bad appointment based on Ange himself, as opposed to the circumstances surrounding the appointment.

I think people are getting things in a twist here. Fans were rightly * about the Howe move falling through after months, the lack of structural change etc, but very few were actually saying that Ange himself wasn’t a good enough manager to be here. Plenty doubted he could be successful under the circumstances, but that’s a very different thing.

greengrocer likes this.
  7. BelfastBhoy74

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    Agree 100%
    Everyone was * with the Club, * with the lack of anything after Lennon, * at promises that failed.....I think Ange was more a "what the * now..." mainly (on my part anyway) due to ignorance of who he was, rather than an informed opinion that he was not good enough

King of Kings likes this.
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

People were * at the board’s behaviour but there were also many people saying that signing a guy with zero European experience was a disgrace. “He’s in his 50s and he’s only ever managed * teams in Australia and Japan.” “I’m 100% convinced he will fail” etc etc.

I was literally on here discussing it with people at the time and almost every * thought it was a disgrace. Rumours that he wasn’t getting his work permit were met with glee.

10. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Ah but TC isn't representative of the celtic support as a whole. It's only a snapshot of all the discontent that most of us were feeling at the time. For me Ange came right out of the left field....totally unexpected. Some of us were worried that out board being what and who they are would sign just any clown just to be seen to be doing anything. We were in a bad place and if we're being honest no one was stepping up. They took a punt on Ange and he has most likely exceeded their expectations. I didn't know the first thing about him in the same way I never knew anything about Pedro over at Sevco and look how that ended. Thankfully we got lucky and found a diamond and I just hope that we can hold on to him. Much as I greatly admire him I have a feeling this guy would know how to hold a grudge so no one better * him off :56:

11. JamesM09

He’s good at making the idiots in the media up here look even more stupid.

He’s like an outsider coming in and just looking at them like they’re * weirdos.

Fact is Ange can manage anywhere and comes from the other side of the world. The reporters here can only do the job in this biased little tinpot industry we call Scottish sport media.

Even Mark Warburton called it out as biased and weird as *.

12. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I see three other Celtic fans in my daily life. A security guard at work, my grandad and another guy at work. All three were absolutely convinced Ange was a disgrace of a signing and wouldn’t listen to anything to the contrary. Just anecdotal evidence but I think there’s a bit of revisionism going on if people are trying to make out like it was gladly accepted at the time.

13. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    No it wasn't gladly accepted because we didn't know anything about him.

Liam Scales likes this.
  14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We were great but the subs. The subs. Why make so many. Had to keep Jota or Forrest on.

George Theodorou and NomDePlum like this.
  15. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Credit to Ange for a lot of that. We were well in the game and looked like we could go 3-1 up. But his subs cost us big time, said it on Saturday too but we got away with it then. Ripping the team apart when we are 2-1 up away in Europe with 20 to go? Mental we finished it exactly how I imagined after the subs came on, like a preseason game with half the reserves out!

A lesson for Ange tonight.

George Theodorou likes this.
  16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    They were absolutely dying on there feet man, majorly. He makes the changes and we nearly get a goal from Ajeti immediately winning possesion.

Tonight’s not for critcism, we’ve got stuff that we need to work on but how far he’s taken us is insane.

17. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

Went over the top with making so many subs, killed us in attack..

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    We got Lubo’d :fear:

Think we’d learn

Jeannie960 likes this.
  19. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Maybe jota and kyogo were absolutely knackered? Bearing in mind kyogo is not long back from the other side of the world. It’s the lack of depth that cost us, January is absolutely massive.

20. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

It’s the lack of depth that killed us tonight. Easy to criticise the subs but Kyoto and Jota were knackered and we just didn’t have the quality to replace them.

McCarthy wasn’t an Ange signing (presumably) and he’s absolutely brutal. Again, no defensive depth and no shield in the midfield.

We need to back him in January. If we had in the summer we’d have won that game tonight.

BigManSmalls, Damnati and Twisty like this.