1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The January Transfer Window 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JC Anton, Nov 11, 2021.

Discuss The January Transfer Window 2021-2022 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I can see your thinking there about left back and hope your wrong. Hopefully the mind set is it is Juranovic and Ralston as back up at right back and Taylor as back up to a new signing at left back. That at least should be what we are looking for IMHO in the full back slots.

HTG likes this.
  2. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I think they will scale it back now and the same old * will be rolled out like you said “We tried” “No value for money in this window”

it’s absolutely pivotal that we kick in and win the league and by providing Ange with the talent he needs is a must.

We hand them this Champions league money life like it will keep them alive.

greengrocer likes this.
  3. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    There's a massive difference as to what we, the fans, KNOW we need, and what the board THINK we need.

So from the Tory Bhoys POV, here's what our outlook is;

No new CB: They will treat the return of Julien like a new signing, with cover from Welsh and Urgohide, and even Biton.

No new LB: They've given Taylor a new contract, and see Monty and COVID boy as adequate competition.

No new Keeper: Three "first team" keepers on the books, money already spent on that clown Barkas. If Hart gets injured we're *, but the board will see Bain as more than capable.

The board will sanction maybe 3 players. A box to box midfielder, a cheap * striker in the usual 2-3m range for "competition"... But only if they can get Ajeti off the books in some capacity, a defensive mid, as it's what they will view as a problem position.

So in terms of that... I would expect to see those three, anymore would be a massive surprise imo.
    The board are just simply not equipped with any ambition in terms of football, their focus is so myopic that it only operates within the confines of the balance sheet.

IF Ange wins the league this year (and, I'm sorry, I still think it's a MASSIVE ask) I will do Hun, and put a cardboard cutout of him up in my apartment.

Chieftain likes this.
  4. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

January windows have rarely been good for us. Even those that looked good on paper turned out to be *. Bellamy, Keane and commons made excellent contributions, but ultimately proved unsuccessful, for the season in question.

The only january window I can think of where those brought in made an instantly telling and successful impact, was when we added Robson and Hinkel.

That said, if we add a dynamic box to box mid that is capable of getting beyond the forwards and chipping in with a few and doing a bit of the dirty work too (another Barry robson), then it will be a good window.

Can't see us getting Maeda, not after adding 4 forward players previous window and forrest and johnston(?) Coming back into contention. Also don't think we will get a left back after Taylor signing a new deal, and with 5 cbs, counting Murray, in the squad already I don't see another being added. If we do add a good no 8 type I don't think we need an out and out cdm, yet.

5. Mr Diggler

We need a number 8 style box to box central midfielder. That is an absolute key position that needs filled. After that I don't see too much happening- you could be talking another striker if Ajeti goes but that's it unless a big name pops up that we can't miss. Taylor just got a new 5 year deal- the manager clearly rates him so he isn't going anywhere. We are light in midfield. Hatate was it you called the guy from the J-league. A centre midfielder who can also cover left back. Seems ideal.

JC Anton likes this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I don’t think Ange will accept that, look at the hounding he gave them in the summer

craigtheceltic and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  7. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    I think we will get at least 2 decent Ange signings, and ofload a couple also. Think it'll be a half decent window.

8. G40B

He never gave them any sort of hounding.

That’s why we’re playing right backs at left back and being utterly toothless anytime Kyogo’s injured.

9. Foley1888

The positions I would like to strengthen are back up GK, LB, CM x2 and someone who can play across the front 3 positions.

Players we should look to move on Barkas, Boli, Ajeti and possibly Soro (maybe even a loan here for first team games).

I would like to loan out Shaw, Urhoghide, Scales and Soro if he isn’t sold. Possibly Montgomery if a left back and another forward brought in.

Back up GK - I would take Marshall but would prefer we signed Carljohan Eriksson on a bosman. He’s in the Finland national squad has had a cracking season in Sweden including setting a consecutive clean sheet record at a pretty poor team. Both would be free.

LB - Fredrik Bjorkan is an obvious one due to his contract scenario, he has good strength and ball carrying abilities, he is also comfortable coming inside or going to the byline on the overlap. Erik Wekkesser would be another option who is also a big guy as well as being quick with good delivery. His deal is up in the summer so wouldn’t cost much. George Bello would be another option. Yuta Nakayama is another option whose deal is up. Would be free or £0.5m to get deal done early.

CM the two I would like, would be a deep lying playmaker type like Patrick Berg or Sergi Samper. The other would be more a box to box type Hatate looked a good option there, other would include Magnus Kofod Anderson, Finn Ole Becker or Njegos Petrovic. Someone with a lot of energy, can be effective at both ends of the park and is good on the ball. Say £4-5m for two players from here, possibly cheaper depending on which two as Anderson, Becker and Samper all have contracts running down.

For a versatile forward Maeda is the standout one here that’s been linked given his versatility, Ola Solbakken is another good option. If we sign someone here they could act as an option on the wings as well as capable of playing through the middle. Ueda is another interesting player but more an out and out striker so would be a straight replacement for Ajeti. This would be £2-3m.

You could sign 5 of the players above for £6m-8m. If you can shift the players mentioned it could bring in £2-4m to offset some of this.

We did have a net player trading surplus of £14-16m over the summer and that’s without any add ons for Edouard, Ajer and Christie who are all doing reasonably well for their new clubs.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Then you missed most of his press conferences from then. The rebuild was never going to happen in one transfer window, never in a million years. We got 12 players in, when was the last time a manager got that?

11. G40B

He made a few comments, in the same way he said he’d be adding to the coaching team after the window.

He certainly never pressured the board.

The number of signings is irrelevant. It’s the quality that mattered.

12. Sentinel

I have no faith whatsoever that our board will do anything other than the smallest, weakest attempt to strengthen the team and back Ange.

They've seen the accounts across the road, watched Stevie G's departure and are now readying a last minute Championship loan and some youth "prospects"..

Would love to be surprised, but breath will not be held.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I think it will heavily depend on various things. Points difference between us and the huns, if we fall far behind they may see no point, the same if we fly ahead. Can we shift players like Barkas, Ajeti and Boli. Injuries in January, if there is an injury a replacement will come in, even if just a loan.

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He never said that he would be adding to the coaching staff, he said he was assessing it and we’ll see.

Quality’s been pretty * good tbh.

Slaw likes this.
  15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

In order of priority:

Box-to-box CM with a decent engine
    CF (Maeda + Another if we punt Ajeti)
    LB
    DM
    No.2 GK if Barkas is going

For me those are the 4 positions we need to urgently deal with in January.

Another attacking mid with better mobility than Turnbull & Rogic would be a Brucey bonus but I think Ange may need to make compromises. He's not going to get everything he wants and both of those are good enough for domestic football.

16. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

If we add a midfielder, attacker and left back I’ll be happy.

Hammy89 likes this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    DM is priority for me I think. I want Maeda and though and seems an easy one to do

18. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    As much as we have been linked with exciting attacking players and obviously needing to get jota over the line. I'd be delighted to get a good option in Central midfield. We're bare there in terms of depth and you can't rely on the same players all season especially playing ange ball. Few injuries and we're in trouble

19. alex_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys Of The Old Brigade
    Anyone expecting 3 or 4 signings is likely to be disappointed. Would much rather we brought in one quality CM rather than spending the odd £1/2mil on a selection of dross. Get Soro and a few others out on loan. Sell Ajeti and Boli if replacements can be found.

20. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Aye but nothing changed after he said that either. We never got other players in after we sold more.

The club will drag their heels, we have never been good at doing business in the January window.