1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Would winning the Europa Conf. be an achievement?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jmac402, Nov 4, 2021.

Discuss Would winning the Europa Conf. be an achievement? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JamesM09

Clearly the president of Albania is architecting the whole thing so he can see the tic win in his home country.

Cringer67 likes this.
  2. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    We are nowhere near capable of going on a run, at least not this season. See Livingston at home for reference

3. Buster

l'd take it...............another European trophy the huns will never win

Jmac402 likes this.
  4. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    When I typed this thread up early this morning, I was knackered and half falling asleep. I’ve just had a look at the teams left in the Europa Conference and there isn’t really any difference in quality between those teams and the teams left in the Europa League. My bad. I didn’t realise there were so many good sides in the competition (some of them admittedly not nearly as good as their teams of yesteryear and who probably subconciously are reliant on past reputations). I guess a more appropriate question would be: could we win the Europa Conference this season?

Also, the word conference, to me, in football terms, has connotations of lower league, semi-professional football, so I guess I was affected by that as well when I typed up this thread and, consequently, my thread sounded inappropriately flippant. Given the calibre of teams left, and given our manager inherited a threadbare squad in need of a complete overhaul and restructure, and given our team is still literally a work in progress, I think it would be an excellent achievement!

ArturBorucCSC likes this.
  5. Mr Diggler

Of course it would. However there are some decent teams in that competition, Spurs, Roma and Feyenoord being the obvious ones. Not to mention the 3rd place teams in the Europa who will drop in. At the minute that includes Leicester, Fenerbahce, PSV and Marseille. Even making the quarters would be a buzz.

AdamRS and Jmac402 like this.
  6. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    How arrogant do you have to be to even ask this question, especially from a supporter whose club hasn’t been close to winning a European trophy in 50 years

7. Lavender Gooms

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Uefa Cup Final 2003?

8. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He will have a word with the officials just before the match.
    Albanian mafia already know the score.
    Just got to get there

JamesM09 likes this.
  9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    This:giggle1:

10. Samurai Bhoy

Just looking at the tables as they stand now, if we were to parachute down to the conference, even just the first round we’d have to play, would be up against the likes of Tottenham, Roma, FC Basel or Slavia Prague.

Getting through that, in itself, would be a good achievement, never mind winning it.

The likes of Feyenoord, Leicester, Lazio and Fenebache could be waiting for us then in the last 16.

I think they are all teams we are “capable” of beating though, we’d just have to be very consistent and beat 3 or 4 of them to win the whole competition, which is very very unlikely the way we are playing at the moment.

11. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Frankie, is that you? Frankie Boyle??!!! :giggle1::wink:

12. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Should tune it into a four team week of games the three competition winners and last season super cup champions participate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Not for a club that’s in a transitional period compare us to this time last year and we are better off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Some good teams in the competition. Will be curious to see how important some teams take it. After Christmas will teams decide it isn't valuable enough and concentrate on the league? This doesn't get you a CL place and it's 9 games (7 for top of the group) to win the tournament. I could see us, The Huns and Spurs all having that view.

Samurai Bhoy and Sydneysider like this.
  15. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Yes it's all about progress.

16. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Of course it’s an achievement.

Jmac402 likes this.
  17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Daft question tbh. Of course it would be.

How much of an achievement is largely dependent on the teams we would beat on the way to winning it.

Of course, all of this discussion will be pointless because we’ll win the actual Europa League.

:ange2:

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  18. Al Bootyerbaws

Nah winning trophies is *.

19. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Even the finances make it worthwhile trying to win it. Ok, it's not champions league group stage level money but if we won that this year after being in the Europa League group stages, we would make a decent wee bit of coin.

We made 400k euros for getting to the 2nd round of the champions league qualifying and then another 350k euros for getting past Jablonec and Alkmaar. We then made 3.6m euros for getting to the group stages of the europa league and if we win 1 and lose 1 of our 2 final games, we will make another 1.9m euros for wins/draw/losses in the group.

If we finish 3rd and drop into the last 32 of the ECL, we would make an additional 300k euros, as well 600k euros for getting to the last 16, 1m euros for the QFs, 2m euros for making the semi finals and 5m euros for winning.

All in, without the TV pool money, we would make upwards of 15m euros from European competition overall.

Obviously it absolutely pales in comparison to getting into the champions league, where your base fee is around about 16m euros for getting to the group stages and even getting to the playoff, that's a 5m euros... but with TV money, we could make about 18m euros for winning that ECL.

Jmac402 likes this.
  20. oh bhoy

It ain't a desirable competition to be playing in in respect to the other two and it was farcical for the clubs website to suggest that we had secured European football after Christmas as if it same the same thing, like they are talking to a bunch of idiots.
    We are where we are are in Lieu of a North Atlantic league or such as can use this to have us better prepared for champions league football as it will more than likely have better teams than we would face domestically