1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Accusations of Racism at Celtic V Livingston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Oct 31, 2021.

Discuss Accusations of Racism at Celtic V Livingston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

The huns had the reaction when one their own was accused of “Surely if it happened they'd of been hounded out”.

Nobody actually knows that. Some might not of heard it, and not everyone is comfortable with confrontation.

There’s no debate here. Let the investigation happen and go from there. If it’s happened then it’s a lifetime ban and nothing less.

2. leeso-ardoyne

I've 2 scars on my cheek, does this mean I done two stretches. Header!

Garrymac1888 and Sean Daleer like this.
  3. leeso-ardoyne

Untill I see it and it's clear it was said, then it didn't happen. And that's the way it should be with everyone

LectersLuncheon and joemc like this.
  4. leeso-ardoyne

Mark Walters cough cough although we are different now I suppose :52:

5. ddub11

It happens,no club is immune from it.The only thing we can expect and demand is the club need to investigate it and ban the person/people who are guilty.

6. Onefootwonder

It's the way it shouldn't be with anyone. This is why victims of abuse are too scared to speak out when people try to discredit them. It's called victim blaming/shaming.

We've had players taking the knee for long enough now and it doesn't look like you've paid any attention.

It's highly unlikely there is going to be a recording of it.

7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    ^

8. Forza 67

You're taking the word of a journalist, there's no evidence it actually happened.

Sydneysider likes this.
  9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Every thread you come away with the worst “Sellick da” opinions going.

Sort of guy who simply won’t believe anything that may shine a negative light on Celtic or the fans.

You’re not a kid. Surely you realise that like every single club in the world, we have an element of our support who are * idiots? Some will be racist. Some sexist. Some homophobic. Some (fans and in the boardroom) who are the worst tory * around.

We’re not immune from it.

Marie and Bobo_ like this.
  10. Forza 67

I don't think he's saying that, that would be incredibly naive, I think sensible people want definitive proof before we start throwing our own under the bus.

Sydneysider likes this.
  11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I think some, like oor Joe, could hear something like this clear as day and still deny it’s coming from a Celtic fan. That’s my point.

Totally blinkered, believing Celtic fans are special and wouldn’t dare say something offensive.

Marie and Bobo_ like this.
  12. Onefootwonder

What is your source that you are effectively calling the journalist a liar? What reason would he have to tell such a lie?

I'm boring myself repeating the same point. Victims of abuse are too scared to speak out as they instantly get jumped on. Too many people on this thread have done exactly that.

King of Kings likes this.
  13. Forza 67

Journalists commonly avoid truth for their own agenda driven pieces, it's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility that he's made it up, he's made the claim and it's now up to him to prove it, innocent until proven guilty.

14. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    There are aresholes among the Celtic fan base which folk may find hard to accept.

Some of the comments here are disappointing. The converse of some of these arguments would be made if it was a Hun fan that done it to one of our players. Irregardless, it should be called out no matter what team it is. Just shows that some folk would just prefer to weaponise racism rather than actually tackle the roots of it.

The good thing for us is that as a collective fan base, we are indeed anti-racist and anti-fascist but it doesn’t mean that there ain’t some idiots who will pipe up.

The Phoenix and King of Kings like this.
  15. Onefootwonder

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that a Celtic fan has shouted something racist.

What agenda would he have? He's a credible journalist and looks to be completely impartial to Scottish football. The man has no reason to tell lies. It's not going to further his career getting involved with an incident at a Celtic game.

He's pointed out a single fan has made a racist comment. He's not said anything bad about anything else about his experience. His statement is very believable.

Fans on this thread are making the situation even worse. Jumping on the person reporting incidents is exactly what you shouldn't be doing.

16. Forza 67

I guess we just take his word for gospel then and ban the guy based on an accusation rather proof, is that what you're seriously suggesting? I do find it incredibly strange that no one else in the stadium heard the racist language used and didn't pull the guy up about it, because I'm certain that is what would've happened if it actually did happen in the first place but no need for evidence we have Philip Crowther's word that it happened.

17. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Finally, someone who doesn’t post ambiguous and hypocritical waffle on the racism issue. It is, alas, still an entrenched problem that pervades society worldwide, and here in the UK is no different. Thankfully, over the last few years, a lot of governments of developed and powerful nations have been taking it seriously and are continuing to treat it seriously in the present day. Wether it will make a significant difference remains to be seen, because, let’s face it, most humans are racist and discriminatory of things that are perceived as different, at least initially; it’s human nature, I guess, just the same as committing any of the 7 deadly sins is human nature (some people are more susceptible to committing these sins than others, as per their nature or genetic make-up). However, there are things that are definitely taught and instilled in people from a young age, which is extremely problematic and usually contributes greatly to these issues which face us today. It needs to be stamped out for the good of the human race, but I anticipate it taking aeons of time before it is completely eradicated, if ever. Obviously, it’s a contentious and complex debate that isn’t going to be solved on these forums, especially as a lot of it stems from antiquity and history.

Let me put a hypothetical question to the forums: if a black player, any black player from the spfl, scored a goal that cost Celtic a cup or achieving something important, do you think some portion of our support would start shouting racial slurs? I think they would. People show their true colours (no pun intended) when experiencing adversity or when things don’t go their way. Because we were denied going top of the league yesterday, frustration inevitably spilled over, emotions were high, and that one guy showed his true colours and committed the sin of wrath. And it wouldn’t surprise me if other supporters shouted racist slurs but weren’t heard.

We actually are one of the more tolerant clubs generally, but that doesn’t mean some supporters will not let us down from time to time. I think more dissemination and education is still needed to address these problems and it needs to be a concerted effort from politicians, teachers, leaders and, of course, your average joe on the street. It’ll be a long and difficult road, but definitely worth it.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Mark Walters incident was 33 year ago, I was 3 and despite having been to Parker’s by that point I unfortunately can’t remember any racism.

19. Onefootwonder

You give the accusations the credit that they deserve. Going full on victim blaming and calling the guy a * and questioning his integrity with no foundation is bad form. This is the exact reasons that victims of abuse are too scared to highlight things.

You don't know if nobody else heard anything. You're just making assumptions. The club has to investigate and speak to fans nearby.

I've been at games of football when offensive things have been said and nobody has stood in.

20. Paul McAuley

Not defending it or that but why does the spotlight always shine on black racism and discrimination yet anti Irish racism is openly tolerated? Anti Catholic bigotry? Been hearing it all my life. Its all wrong but the latter just seems to be that common place that it's just normal and nobody cares. Just imagine for a minute the spotlight that would be on Scotland if 50000 people sang a song about been up to there knees in black peoples blood every week?

MagicBallBhoy likes this.